Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

BUYING USED GASOLINE ENGINES

Hey Gang

I am just getting back into flying and have no expierence with gasoline engines, a member of the club I am joing wants to sell me a used CRRC engine, I am not sure I want it. My question is, what would I need to check besides the compressionon the engine to see what kind of shape it's in?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: BUYING USED GASOLINE ENGINES

Buying a used engine can be a crap shoot , even if you know what signs to look for . I would suggest that you have a trusted and knowlegeable buddy check it out for you . If you dont have access to that kind of person and are not sure if you can trust the seller I suggest that prior to the sale see if he is willing to refund your money if you are not satisfied with the engine . If he won't stand behind it walk away.
    Most common problems are
    1) Bent crankshaft from prop strike or crash , check crankshaft runout and prop tracking.
    2) damaged piston and/or cylinder. Scoring from debris ,overheating , not enough lube, incorrect tuning ,insuffiecient cooling.
    3) carb issues
    4) ignition issues
    Seek out someone local who can check for concerns in the above list . If you are going gas you will need someone to guide with setup and tuning gas engines . There is a lot of knowledge here on RCU but someone local that can put ther hands and eyes on it will be most benificial to you.
    \"Aint this great !!\" - Chris
    \"Nosen Cessna 310 Club\" #8
    \"Cub Brotherhood\" #11

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DON'T DO IT,don't buy some one else's troubles.buy from a dealer that carries parts and service.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your replies all

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Buying used stuff from reputable sellers can offer up some very good deals, one just has to exercise care and have a fairly good idea of who they are dealing with and try sticking to the proven current engine brands such as DA, Zenoah, BME, 3W, FPE, Fox, MVVS, Evolution, DLE to name a few and for who servicing and spares are readily available.

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would suggest passing on the used Chinese made inexpensive engines. The higher end brands like mentioned above are reasonable bets on getting a good used engine. But with the inexpensive Chinese engines, there are just too many possible things to go wrong.  But if the current owner can show it running good for you, that is a big plus though.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also the price has to be right. Give yourself some room to afford minor repairs if need be and still come out ahead. Dennis
    DadstoysRC. I fly what I sell
    CD Vette City Big Bird

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes i agree with that for the most of china made engines,but dle's are every where,parts are cheap and can be bought even on ebay.and they are good running,dependable engines,with good power,or at lease the 55 is.
    there are deals out there on used dle's, but only if you can do the wrench work on them does it make it worth it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well you might be able to fix up a cheap engine if you have some mechanical skills for it. But otherwise you can't  "make a silk purse out of sow's ear".

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076