Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Throttle servo buzzing for DLE20

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Throttle servo buzzing for DLE20

Oldtyme, as someone said ealier you do have to be very careful when removing the butterfy screw. Go slowly and take care not to bend the shaft. When you slide out the shaft it will be obvious where the detent ball is. Now the tricky part. The screw holding on the butterfly is usually 4-40. Carefully run a 4-40 tap through the shaft and use a new screw. Loc-tite the screw in place. I use red loc-tite on just about everything. Taking out the detent will make life easier on your servo especially without making an extended arm. If this were a perfect world the extended arm would be a better fix. Stuff happens so this is a pretty good plan B.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Oldtyme, as someone said ealier you do have to be very careful when removing the butterfy screw. Go slowly and take care not to bend the shaft. When you slide out the shaft it will be obvious where the detent ball is. Now the tricky part. The screw holding on the butterfly is usually 4-40. Carefully run a 4-40 tap through the shaft and use a new screw. Loc-tite the screw in place. I use red loc-tite on just about everything. Taking out the detent will make life easier on your servo especially without making an extended arm. If this were a perfect world the extended arm would be a better fix. Stuff happens so this is a pretty good plan B.
speedracerntrixie.............thanks for the follow-up. You say that the screw is usually a 4-40 thread but this is a Chinese engine so wouldn't it be some kind of metric thread?? Just a question because I'm not second guessing you I just don't want to foul this up. Thank goodness for the folks here for those of us who are trying to learn something new.

Thanks again,
Andy
Old 08-29-2012, 07:52 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Even on most chinese engines the carbs are Walbro. Walbro carbs are made on just about every continent. I have yet to see one that wasnt 4-40 on both choke and throttle. A good double check would be to pull a screw off the diaphram cover and check what thread it is. I'd bet ya a goallon of 50-1 premix it's 4-40
Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Even on most chinese engines the carbs are Walbro. Walbro carbs are made on just about every continent. I have yet to see one that wasnt 4-40 on both choke and throttle. A good double check would be to pull a screw off the diaphram cover and check what thread it is. I'd bet ya a goallon of 50-1 premix it's 4-40
Thanks again...........[8D] I reallly appreciate the help. I hope I haven't driven everyone crazy with my questions. Just don't want to screw something up as I am on a fixed income.........retired on Social Security........and I can't afford to make too many errors.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:44 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

truckracer....... and all others that responded...........thank you. I did read all responses and added an extension on the throttle arm and that took care of the problem. I also replace the more expensive 9202 servo with a 3001 and that is doing a good job. Now I am dealing with the bigger issue of trying to get a setup that will operate the choke without buzzing.........I'm committed to a choke servo so I'm in the middle of a quandry and there is no way that I can add an extension to the choke arm and I have been advised to remove the spring and detent ball from the choke arm and of course adivsed not to to that so I don't know what to do now.
Andy
As far as the choke goes, it is a very short throw. One way to make it work with a servo is to make a double link setup using another dual arm, or bellcrank arm so that it moves only a fraction on the choke side to the normal throw on the servo arm. It only needs to move 1/4" or so. You can double the torque output this way too so as to not overdrive the servo to force it open or closed.
The setup I use for my choke is a Goldnrod from a ball link on the choke to a 90* arm screwed to the radio deck, from there I have a wire pushrod that exits the fuse on one side with a loop on it for gripping. A setup like this can easily be converted to use a servo. I don't have a picture of it with me, or I would post it.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Took a few pics tonight. Here is my choke setup. Icant show you the carb side since Icant see it without taking the engine out. If Iput a servo in the other opening I could connect it to the bellcrank to open and close the choke.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35575.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1796853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24833.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1796854