Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Water bottle fuel tanks, post your sources here, please.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Water bottle fuel tanks, post your sources here, please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water bottle fuel tanks, post your sources here, please.

Making a couple of Fiji water bottle tanks and trying to find where to buy my fittings from, some of the places to buy from are pretty proud of them little fittingsto say the least.. If you have a place you order from, please post a link in this thread.. Also, any pics or tipsyou want to post, feel free...

Also, anyone know where you can get the 330ml Fiji bottle from? I am making a 500ml for my DLE 55, but need the smaller one for a friends DLE 20. I been stopping all over the place trying to find the 330ml with no luck..

Jimbo
Old 08-25-2012, 01:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Water bottle fuel tanks, post your sources here, please.

They had both sizes at the local grocery down the road from my house.

Actually, you do not need any fittings. Just drill a slightly undersize hole in the bottle where you want the tygon to enter.

I used the Sullivan aluminum cap with the flange cut off but it is expensive enough...

Old 08-25-2012, 02:46 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make you own fuel tank like this...very easy ! Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67903.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1795173  
Old 08-25-2012, 06:42 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Making a couple of Fiji water bottle tanks and trying to find where to buy my fittings from, some of the places to buy from are pretty proud of them little fittings to say the least.. If you have a place you order from, please post a link in this thread.. Also, any pics or tips you want to post, feel free...

Also, anyone know where you can get the 330ml Fiji bottle from? I am making a 500ml for my DLE 55, but need the smaller one for a friends DLE 20. I been stopping all over the place trying to find the 330ml with no luck..

Jimbo
I think I saw 12 oz FiJi water bottles at the local Wally World. Pricy at about 4$ per sixpack for basically water and a bottle tho.

I sell the plastic fitting kits. PM me if interested. Kits also include the flexible fuel line I've discussed before.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I'll open my mouth and get in trouble....

It's amazing that they charge so much for the normal "made for model" tanks that we look for alternatives in water bottles, etc. that cost nearly nothing.

And sorry to say, but it's no bargain to pay 10 dollars for plastic fittings for the tanks either. They can be had much cheaper from the original source. I just machine up my own fittings. Tired of paying 10 times what every thing is worth.....

Ok, I've said my "peace". Fire away....

AV8TOR
Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Well I'll open my mouth and get in trouble....

It's amazing that they charge so much for the normal ''made for model'' tanks that we look for alternatives in water bottles, etc. that cost nearly nothing.

And sorry to say, but it's no bargain to pay 10 dollars for plastic fittings for the tanks either. They can be had much cheaper from the original source. I just machine up my own fittings. Tired of paying 10 times what every thing is worth.....

Ok, I've said my ''peace''. Fire away....

AV8TOR
It is sad that purpose built fuel tanks cost $5-$20 and a cheap 20oz water bottle is $.99 at the gas station. Even conversion parts for gas engines are outrageous. Last person that could make a prop hub & glow plug adapter wanted $40 ea. Everybody has to make theirs somehow I guess.

Unfortunately, for those of us without the tools and machines, most of us cannot machine our own parts. I could only dream of owning a hobby lathe/mill and a tig welder. I'd make parts for cost and postage only because there are so few sources for reasonably priced parts these days and everybody is broke and scraping by. Long live the American way.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Mustangman40

That's kind of my point on this, they are charging way to much for the fittings.. I priced it out and I will have $50.00 bucks plus shipping in to a 500ml tank that i supply and that didn't include a klunk or lines, that's just plane crazy! These were nice metal fittings, but come on....

The main reason I want to go with a water bottle tank is it's clear and I can see what's going on in there, weight is just a bi-product that's a plus. Lets face it, if your that worried about the weight of your fuel tank, you don't have enough motor, period!

I did find one place offering Pre made W/B tanks, ready to fly. But they only came in 8-16- or 32oz and had a wide mouth style cap, from what I have read on the subject, narrow mouth caps are much better.. I really want a 20oz tank but can't find a square bottle in that size, the fiji 500ml is 16.9oz so that gets me a little closer to the 20oz mark.....

Jimbo

Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

www.WrongWayRC.com

He does the bottle, the fittings, viton clunk line and a ceramic filter clunk, heat shrink over the bottle cap, all assembled and ready to install for about 20 bucks shipped for a 50cc plane
Old 08-26-2012, 07:05 PM
MTK

And sorry to say, but it's no bargain to pay 10 dollars for plastic fittings for the tanks either. They can be had much cheaper from the original source. Ok, I've said my ''peace''. Fire away....

AV8TOR
Buy them from the original source then...

Look, I've researched the fittings and chose correct materials for gasoline. I've made a quantity purchase and can sell these at pretty good prices, so I am offerings them to modelers (just like me) who may not have the materials knowledge I do.

I'll tell you what ridiculous tho, have you seen the ads for the newest tank on the market? $35 to $40 a piece is crazy but guys are buying these...go figure
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: MTK

And sorry to say, but it's no bargain to pay 10 dollars for plastic fittings for the tanks either. They can be had much cheaper from the original source. Ok, I've said my ''peace''. Fire away....

AV8TOR
Buy them from the original source then...

Look, I've researched the fittings and chose correct materials for gasoline. I've made a quantity purchase and can sell these at pretty good prices, so I am offerings them to modelers (just like me) who may not have the materials knowledge I do.

I'll tell you what ridiculous tho, have you seen the ads for the newest tank on the market? $35 to $40 a piece is crazy but guys are buying these...go figure
I know just the ones you speak of and I almost bought one, but someone pointed out the seals inside the tank. Bet those get hard after a season with gas and fail, time will tell...

MTK,
I sent you a PM about the fittings, I am interested in seeing them.. I don't mind paying someone a profit for their work, long as it's not like some of the online stores that think they can charge $18.49 for one union...
Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

www.WrongWayRC.com

He does the bottle, the fittings, viton clunk line and a ceramic filter clunk, heat shrink over the bottle cap, all assembled and ready to install for about 20 bucks shipped for a 50cc plane
I seen his tanks, but don't care for how he does the fittings.. I like elbows for the vent and he has a straight, I also want two on top, one vent and a seperate fill line... Thanks for the link though
Old 08-27-2012, 07:21 AM
BarracudaHockey

I bet if you gave him a call he'd make you up one. I'm not sure if he has elbows though.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 AM
MTK

www.WrongWayRC.com

I seen his tanks, but don't care for how he does the fittings.. I like elbows for the vent and he has a straight, I also want two on top, one vent and a seperate fill line... Thanks for the link though[img][/img]
RCU email Servers have not been working for me. Please email me at [email protected]. I need your email address so we can communicate directly....

A 3 line setup, clunk, vent and fill; a 2 line set-up includes a "tee" so that the clunk line is also the fill line. These include bulkhead and elbow fittings, nuts and seals, plus enough flex tubing to set -up your weighted clunk with. I also sell the flex line at a small premium over McMaster Carr which is my source. Have discussed this before also in several threads

I have all the photos in a different thread about the same subject. I will try to find it and post here also.

I'm doing this as a service to fellow modelers...If anyone thinks that anyone is going to get rich by selling a few dozen of these sets for about 7.50$ average price, he's mistaken
Old 08-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Mustangman40

www.WrongWayRC.com

I seen his tanks, but don't care for how he does the fittings.. I like elbows for the vent and he has a straight, I also want two on top, one vent and a seperate fill line... Thanks for the link though[img][/img]
RCU email Servers have not been working for me. Please email me at [email protected]. I need your email address so we can communicate directly....

A 3 line setup, clunk, vent and fill; a 2 line set-up includes a "tee" so that the clunk line is also the fill line. These include bulkhead and elbow fittings, nuts and seals, plus enough flex tubing to set -up your weighted clunk with. I also sell the flex line at a small premium over McMaster Carr which is my source. Have discussed this before also in several threads

I have all the photos in a different thread about the same subject. I will try to find it and post here also.

I'm doing this as a service to fellow modelers...If anyone thinks that anyone is going to get rich by selling a few dozen of these sets for about 7.50$ average price, he's mistaken

Sent you an Email Matt, If I go with your fittings, how fast can you ship? I have a fun fly on Saturday that I want to bring my new bird to so I canshow the guys what I been working on and run the motor some....
Old 08-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Mustangman40

Thanks for the email Matt and the prices seem fine to me, looking forward to doing bizz with you.. Nice to know I found a source that doesn't want an arm and a leg for them, was really tired of searching the web...
Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Mustangman40

I see a lot of folks use a 2 line set-up with a filtered clunk and it has me wondering why....

My line of thinking and i could be wrong.. If you fill on your carb line via a "T" wouldn't anything that's not filtered by our can filters be cought in the filter the wrong way and then suck into the motor? My thought is to run a 3 line tank with a standard clunk and an inline filter close to the carb, that way I can clean the filter with out taking the tank apart.. Now having a seperate fill line to a dot, I will have a inline filter there as well. So My can has a filter on the pick up, then my nozzle has a filter, then the fill line has a filter, so the fuel going into the tank is filtered 3 times and once more before it hits the carb.. Just thinking is all..

Jimbo
Old 08-28-2012, 02:22 AM
Tony Hallo

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I drilled the cap to 5/8" or so just enough to leave a small flange, cut a piece of .032" copper sheet to fit inside the cap, drilled 3 holes and soldered 5/32" K&S brass tubes on the copper sheet. All from the scrap box. Did buy Durbo 5/32" fuel barbs. No sealer, tighten the cap with Channelocks.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 AM
MTK

Hey guys, several of you have responded through RCU's PM forum. Problem is that RCU email Servers have not been working for me and no body gets my answers.

Please email me directly at [email protected]. I need your email address.... Thanks

Old 08-28-2012, 03:16 AM
BarracudaHockey

If you fill through a Tee fitting you generally have an automotive type fuel filter on your filler line. Most folks I know do at least.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:53 AM
MTK

If you fill through a Tee fitting you generally have an automotive type fuel filter on your filler line. Most folks I know do at least.
On my Tee'd set-up, my fill line from the flight box has 2 standard glow fuel filters (Dubros) on it. That seems adequate; I have had no problems with dispensing avgas, 3+ years now and 4-5 different engines. Maybe autogas is a little dirtier than avgas and requires more filtering. One thing certain, filtering is cheap insurance for maintaining a clear carb!!

Jim, did you get the fittings?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 AM
Mustangman40

On my Tee'd set-up, my fill line from the flight box has 2 standard glow fuel filters (Dubros) on it. That seems adequate; I have had no problems with dispensing avgas, 3+ years now and 4-5 different engines. Maybe autogas is a little dirtier than avgas and requires more filtering. One thing certain, filtering is cheap insurance for maintaining a clear carb!!

Jim, did you get the fittings?
Not yet buddy, haven't got today's mail yet though.. If I like your fittings which I am sure I will, I will probably order several sets to have on hand.. I am phasing out my glow stuff and going to all gas or Electric and will be making my tanks from now on, so having them on hand will be a good idea..
Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 AM
MTK

Snail mail I guess. Sent out 9 days ago. If not received in the next couple days, let me know and I'll resend. Please contact me at [email protected].

BTW- the included tubing is gas compatible polyurethane. It takes a set since it is rolled up. The set can be easily removed by inserting a steel rod and heating with a monokote iron, resulting is straight tube. Straight tubing flops around better inside a tank.

The rubber seals included go on the outside of the tank. Nuts are fished inside the tank with a length of wire inserted through fittings and tank holes. It's simple to actually do

Thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Mustangman40

MTK,
got the fittings and they are exactly what I was looking for, very nice.. I will make the tank later today and post some pics..Doyou knowoff handwhat size drill bit for them and do you use any other sealant on them? I sent you a money order for payment, thanks a bunch... I will shoot you an email soon for some more, like I said before, these are something I want to have stock of in the shop....
Old 09-08-2012, 06:12 AM
MTK

MTK,
got the fittings and they are exactly what I was looking for, very nice.. [img][/img] I will make the tank later today and post some pics.. Do you know off hand what size drill bit for them and do you use any other sealant on them? I sent you a money order for payment, thanks a bunch... I will shoot you an email soon for some more, like I said before, these are something I want to have stock of in the shop....[img][/img]
Great Jim, thanks for letting me know. I think we'll do FedEx next time.

You want a fairly snug fit on the fitting stem. Start with 3/16" and drill carefully since the bit can grab the tank's plastic wall and ruin your day.

I don't use any other sealant. The rubber seal is on the outside and the nut goes inside the tank. All you need. Just make sure the nut and fitting are snugged.... I hold the nut with a forceps and turn the fitting

As a precaution, once the tank is assembled and the cap is screwed on snug (not tight just snug), I add a strip of electrician's mastic tape around the cap and bottle stem. This is the stuff that stretches and sticks to itself. Home Depot, Lowes, ACE all carry it. It holds the cap on and controls vibration yet is removable when you need to make adjustments inside.

Yes please post your photo
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Mustangman40

MTK,
got the fittings and they are exactly what I was looking for, very nice.. [img][/img]I will make the tank later today and post some pics..Doyou knowoff handwhat size drill bit for them and do you use any other sealant on them? I sent you a money order for payment, thanks a bunch... I will shoot you an email soon for some more, like I said before, these are something I want to have stock of in the shop....[img][/img]
Great Jim, thanks for letting me know. I think we'll do FedEx next time.

You want a fairly snug fit on the fitting stem. Start with 3/16" and drill carefully since the bit can grab the tank's plastic wall and ruin your day.

I don't use any other sealant. The rubber seal is on the outside and the nut goes inside the tank. All you need. Just make sure the nut and fitting are snugged.... I hold the nut with a forceps and turn the fitting

As a precaution, once the tank is assembled and the cap is screwed on snug (not tight just snug), I add a strip of electrician's mastic tape around the cap and bottle stem. This is the stuff that stretches and sticks to itself. Home Depot, Lowes, ACE all carry it. It holds the cap on and controls vibration yet is removable when you need to make adjustments inside.

Yes please post your photo
Thanks a bunch for the tips and will do on the tape, I got a bunch of gaffers tape from work..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.