Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Saito FG57 Fourstroke

Normal0falsefalsefalseoNotPromoteQF />EN-USX-NONEontGrowAutofit />ontVertAlignCellWithSp />ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables />ontVertAlignInTxbx />MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi all:
    I have seen the videos and the suggestion that it's really not a problem, but Iwanted to go to the well one more time. The consensus seems to be that it is not a problem and that it eventually goes away. Perhaps it is a ring finally seating?

Regarding the break-in procedure, yes i am following it. I'm on my 2nd tank on a very rich high and low end. And, yes everyone has a little different take on the break-in. The break-in for my 777 radial was even more interesting.

I've also asked a friend who manages these Engines for Horizon. If he has anything different to say, I will post.

Thank you all and if you think of anything else, please let me know.

This could be my new favorite engine.

Very best regards,
    James

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Normal0unctuationkerning>unctuationkerning>falsefalsefalseEN-USX-NONEMicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello all:

Here's what I've learned per Saito's product manager at Horizon. If you don't know him, you should. He knows his products and is a terrific resource. This is an excerpt from his email, which he agreed Icould reproduce.

I suspect the cylinder that is producing the soot is your lower cylinder in the installation? Any time you run twin cylinders off a single carb there is always an imbalance. Saito has taken steps to even out the balance but it is the nature of the beast for one cylinder to run a little richer than the other. The steps they have taken work pretty well in a normal horizontal installation, but in your case the lower cylinder might be seeing additional fuel because of gravity.

Is my assumption correct about the cylinder with the soot?

So he is correct. I have my engine mounted vertically and the cylinder at the bottom is producing all the soot, oil, etc...

He also goes on to say:

Yes it will improve as the break-in proceeds and when you lean it out. It will always be there to some extent.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I'm satisfied with everyone's responses and will be flying this baby soon!!!

All the best,
    James

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The one pipe thing sounds normal then which is good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JamesPool

Normal0unctuationkerning>unctuationkerning>falsefalsefalseEN-USX-NONEMicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hello all:

Here's what I've learned per Saito's product manager atΒ* Horizon. If you don't know him, you should.Β* He knows his products and is a terrific resource. This is an excerpt from his email, which he agreed IΒ*could reproduce. Β*

I suspect the cylinder that is producing the soot is your lower cylinder in the installation?Β* Any time you run twin cylinders off a single carb there is always an imbalance.Β* Saito has taken steps to even out the balance but it is the nature of the beast for one cylinder to run a little richer than the other.Β* The steps they have taken work pretty well in a normal horizontal installation, but in your case the lower cylinder might be seeing additional fuel because of gravity.

Is my assumption correct about the cylinder with the soot?

So he is correct. I have my engine mounted vertically and the cylinder at the bottom is producing all the soot, oil, etc...Β*

He also goes on to say:Β*Β*

Yes it will improve as the break-in proceeds and when you lean it out.Β* It will always be there to some extent.

Thanks to everyone who helped.Β* I'm satisfied with everyone's responses and will be flying this baby soon!!!Β*

All the best,
    James

That is exactly why I opted for the dual carbs when I bought my FA300TTDP twin.

It idles @ 800 RPM W/a wooden 22 X 8 prop whne running on C&H CDI ignition burning 15% Cool Power glow fuel.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Today I started up the FG-57 after putting in the new Saito ( RcExl) ignition.

It fired up easily, and run just fine. Good to hear the sound of a proper engine again.

A picture from working on the Corsair below.

The starter from Hobbyking managed to start the FG-57;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16197

( Using 2 A123 batteries in it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo39165.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	1811077  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have never used a starter Kwik. Another item to remember and to charge....

Easy to handstart
    Best regards
    Alf Hansen
    Norway
    http://www.modellflynytt.no

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes they are.Anybody here protecting the braided ignition stainless wire shield from rubbing on part of the airframe?
    Watch out for the ground eh?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Old Fart

Yes they are.Anybody here protecting the braided ignition stainless wire shield from rubbing on part of the airframe?
    I did have the braided SS shield wear through in a small spot from rubbing.

I now secure the plug lead @ several intervals W/cable ties. Contact W/the airframe will not harm the shield when it is held stationary. It's the shaking of the unsecured cable (mostly from air flow) causing it to hit objects that causes damage.

Even inside a cowl that has proper airflow for cooling, it can be an issue.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply the ignition braided wires are rubbing because they are threaded through some holes i cut to get the leads there.Has anyone tried some silicone tubing to protect them?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Howdy there O.F. did they not supply the plastic spiral cable with the engine ? Every gasser that Ive bought came with some for the plug cable and also for the hall effect cable . Cheers the pope

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi mate was hoping no one would ask that question,i think i threw it in the bin ages ago,could'nt figure out what it was for at the time..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply the ignition braided wires are rubbing because they are threaded through some holes i cut to get the leads there.Has anyone tried some silicone tubing to protect them?

When I have to go through a firewall W/the spark plug lead I make a removable hatch & file a notch that grips the lead firmly/securely W/O pinching it. I have never had any wear issues @ those penetration points.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

its common practice in the full scale world to glue down the plug leads, and other undercowl wires and cables, with a good high temp silicone. right onto cylinder fins or whatever. does a pretty good job keeping things from rubbing and shaking. cable ties or corseal lacing is used too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi mate was hoping no one would ask that question,i think i threw it in the bin ages ago,could'nt figure out what it was for at the time..
    These are the moments that years down the track you can laugh about . BUT not quite yet ! cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here Is what I do on the new systems.

http://www.ch-ignitions.com/index.ph...nce_timing-yes

Thanks
    Adrian
    www.ch-ignitions.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That was'nt a big help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How many people here have found tuning the high speed needle for your chosen prop,an anxious time.Or did it seem easy and what narrow/wideblade prop and rpm figures did you see?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When the engine has a standard Walbro, you can adjust Hi neede with your fingers, while running full speed.

Then it is possible to find the sweet spot. Even though I don't like to do it...

On a Zenoah GT-80, the carb is on top of the engine, so it is easy access. You can even remove the whole carb,
    while the engine is still on the plane.

On this one, it is almost impossible, since you need that special tool inserted....

Initially I got 6100 rpm, Menz standart 22x10. Then after 45 flights I noticed it was 6400.

Now, with new ignition and new Menz S 22x10 I noticed it was 6000 rpm, and I don't know why.

Makes me wonder; Is there individual differencies from propeller to propeller, even within the same brand and size?
    I thought they were CNC produced, and the same every time...

But I think it will fly ok on 6000 rpm too. I have ordered a Mejzlik 22x10 for it, to get a bit more pull.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kwik

When the engine has a standard Walbro, you can adjust Hi neede with your fingers, while running full speed.

Then it is possible to find the sweet spot. Even though I don't like to do it...

On a Zenoah GT-80, the carb is on top of the engine, so it is easy access. You can even remove the whole carb,
    while the engine is still on the plane.

On this one, it is almost impossible, since you need that special tool inserted....

Initially I got 6100 rpm, Menz standart 22x10. Then after 45 flights I noticed it was 6400.

Now, with new ignition and new Menz S 22x10 I noticed it was 6000 rpm, and I don't know why.

Makes me wonder; Is there individual differencies from propeller to propeller, even within the same brand and size?
    I thought they were CNC produced, and the same every time...

But I think it will fly ok on 6000 rpm too. I have ordered a Mejzlik 22x10 for it, to get a bit more pull.

I was runing a Zinger 22x8 @ 7100 on my 300T. I had an accidental propek=ller strike while starting bthe engine & ruined the prop.

The replacement 22x8 Zinger only turns 5900.

I did notice that the rear surfaces of the new propeller have small ripples in the machined surface. Maybe the rough surfaces are the reason for the lost 200 RPm in my particular case.

I'm planning to eventually sand those surfaces smooth & refinish the prop.
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: affas

I have never used a starter Kwik. Another item to remember and to charge....

Easy to handstart
    Hmmmmm.........no comment !!! [:-]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi kwik thanks for the info.After a brief run from new i easily got a steady 6500 on a 22x10 apc.Won't be tuning it now till the aeroplane is nearly ready to fly.Let us know if try other props please mate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi kwik thanks for the info.After a brief run from new i easily got a steady 6500 on a 22x10 apc.Won't be tuning it now till the aeroplane is nearly ready to fly.Let us know if try other props please mate.
    I will.
    First I will have to take off the cowl, and see if I get more rpm by moving the sensor a bit. But first I'll try the other ignition. Got 2 of them, you know.

Took off the other day with only 6000 rpm on the Menz 22x10. The plane was not the same. Those missing 400 rpm's do a BIG difference.

During takeoff I hesitated. Abort or continue....I continued. Won't do that again. Will make sure I get 6400 before another try.

TeleMaster; A Zinger ? Why don't you try something else? Affa recommends Xoar....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not keen on wooden props for a test flight on a taildragger for the simple reason that it's an untried thing re elevater sensitivity control,pitch wise,(test flight)and a prop tip ground strike screws you over sometimes.,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Hello again. Been a long time since anyone has posted on this thread.

I now have 2 FG-57's.

The second one in a TF 190;

Testing the engine;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntR6cQhRZa0

Maiden;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzld705eOls

And some more fun;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFXO3R6R0S8

I am using 4% oil noadays on the FG-57; The hesitation I had when rolling the plane dissapears when you go down on the oil percentage.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by kwik View Post
    Hello again. Been a long time since anyone has posted on this thread.

I now have 2 FG-57's.

The second one in a TF 190;

Testing the engine;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntR6cQhRZa0

Maiden;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzld705eOls

And some more fun;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFXO3R6R0S8

I am using 4% oil noadays on the FG-57; The hesitation I had when rolling the plane dissapears when you go down on the oil percentage.
    Hi Kwik,
    Are you using synthetic oil? I am putting this engine in the TF Corsair ARF. It is a little tight but will fit. I have the updated FG57 with the large heat sink on the bottom of the engine,

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast