Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

BCMAEngines

Old 02-27-2006, 03:48 PM
SIREX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCMAEngines

I am going to get into gas this year and wanted some advice. I was thinking about the the following plane and engine.

http://www.bcmaengines.com/

http://www.atsrcplanes.com/cap232120arf.htm

I would like to have a bigger plane and try gas. If you guys have any pointers or sugestions on setting up a gas plane I would be very interested in hearing from you.

Thanks

Shayne
Old 03-01-2006, 01:39 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: BCMAEngines

Not a bad combination, but there are better choices, depending on your budget.
Z
Old 03-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking into these engine also for my first gas plane. I call it the "Poor Man's " way into gas planes . I like the IE but then your up close to same price as other engines and the conversions don't look so attractive. I've been looking at the Brillelli 25CC engines.
http://www.scottellingson.com/
Old 03-02-2006, 01:25 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

I a couple of weeks I will be introducing a new Electronic ignition upgrade that will only cost $100.00 for the BCMA33 and BCMA45.

Even priced as they are, my BCMA 45 on EI is just as light and just as powerfull as a BME44 and it still is $200.00 cheaper equally equipped with Rear Dump Pitts Mufflers. Plus I have a better mount setup than they do.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:16 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Not to start a war here, but from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE, I can tell you that the torro engines are stronger than the homelite engines. Again, that is from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. Scott Ellingson sells the torro conversions, and they are about the same price.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 PM
blackbaron

If you are comparing the Toro to the Homelite 25cc and the 30cc engine, yes, you would be correct. But against the Homelite 33cc or larger Chainsaw engine, no way! Even Scott would tell you that.

For the money, Scotts Toro is by far the best deal out there and Scott is awesome to deal with too. Even though we are competitors, I consider Scott a good friend of mine and a partner. Scott makes a lot of parts for my engines and helps me a great deal. The Toro is a great engine and a really good alternative to a Zenoah G26. In fact that is why I dropped converting the Homelite 25cc engine.

However I have a new 26cc engine equipped with Electronic Ignition that I will be releasing in a couple of weeks as soon as I am done testing it and its performance is equal to the Toro and its a barely over 2 pounds. My introductory price will be $250.00 for this engine.

Check it out the BCMA 26 at: www.bcmaengines.com

Old 03-02-2006, 06:52 PM
SIREX

Well I bought the Super Kraft Cap 232 and the 45 model from BCMA engines. I am sure there are better choices and more expensive ones. I will say one thing about BCMA engines and that is Adam is is a first class guy. He answered all my questions and returned my emails extremely fast. He also offered future assistance if I need it. I could of bought some big name brand motor and just become another number or I could buy a quality engine at a good price and get personalized service. Service is worth a lot of money these days and Adam dishes it out for free. I am new to RC Airplanes only been flying for a little over a year and this is my first gas plane but I am totally confident I made the right choice. ZIPPI if I were you I would call and talk to Adam. I will post pictures of the motor and plane as I recieve items and build the plane. I will also be asking some advice from experienced gas flyers. Thanks again Adam.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:39 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

The 25 CC's were exactly what I was comparing. You point is well taken.

I know Scott is also going to be offering the EI on his 25, but I believe the price may be just a tad higher--but for all practical purposes it's the same. Yours is, as you say, a lot lighter, though!

Good luck..
Old 03-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Kamikazi
My Feedback: (4)

I was at the Lebanon PA R/C flea market yesterday and there was a hobby shop there selling the SPE engines also. He had apparently already sold out the 26cc version, but had one 40cc engine left when I got there. Quality looked good, and it was very light weight. For $250, I almost bought it. However, the instructions were 100% Chinese. I had concerns about being able to get parts, overall performance and longevity of the engine (and the CDI).

If these SPE engines (as sold by BCMA and others) are reliable and serviceable, they look like an incredible deal.
The 40cc engine they were selling for $250 included a CDI Ignition system with all sensors, etc (although not a CH Ignition, or even the new Roy Sholl S/S Ignition). If they can sell the engine and CDI Ignition for $250 complete, The CDI unit must certainly be a LOT less expensive the either of the above - which both go for around $140 - $150 alone. It would be nice to see the SPE CDI unit sold separately

The SPE engine also included an amazingly light muffler and standoff mounts. My greatest need is currently for something closer to the 26cc size. If they had one there, I probably would have taken a chance and bought it.

I'll be keeping my eye on these SPE engines - the price seems almost to good to be true...
Old 03-17-2006, 03:27 AM
tomyrcmodels

that's the new pic of BCMA-SPE26 and BCMA-40 engine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10147.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	427645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90507.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	427646  
Old 03-17-2006, 07:52 AM
Kamikazi

Been seeing discussion of these SPE engines now since last fall. Seems to be called a Melody engine also How many names does it have?
I guess that BCMA is (will be) the main USA distributor. However, I also saw a few of them for sale at an RC Flea market by a local hobby shop last week for an even lower price... They only had the 40cc version left though, which would probably shake my planes to pieces. The 26cc version looks interesting, but nobody has prop/RPM performance numbers... The big question is how close can it get to G26 performance?

If that auto advance ignition unit is reliable, there could be a big market for it as a stand-alone product. Especially if it is priced on-par with other Chinese electronics. The USA made CDI auto advance units go for a whopping $140+, which is more than half the price of one of these engines with the ignition included. Will I be able to buy one of these cheap auto-advance CDI units for my own engines???
The one I saw last week appeared to be well made, properly shielded, etc...
Old 03-17-2006, 11:37 AM
blackbaron

Hi Kamakazi

You are correct that these engines are also sold as a Melody engine. I have chosen to re label them slightly since I plan to distribute and sell these engines. It is important for me to brand them so they will be associated with my reputation for customer service and a quality product. I also will be handling warranty issues for these engines so the manufacture is not burdened with this. I also will be working with the manufacture to further improve the product line from valuable feedback that I obtain from my customers. I customize every engine to suit my customer’s needs and I consider myself a Value Added reseller.

I have very recently posted engine specifications and prop thrust and rpm figures for each of these engines on my website www.bcmaengines.com as well as my introductory prices. I will also be handling all of the warranty issues directly.

The BCMA-SPE26 is going to be the budget engine of choice over the Zenoah G26. It is lighter and equivalent in output and best of all it is substantially less expensive. A similar equipped Zenaoh G26 would cost you well over $400.00.

Regarding these electronic ignitions that these engines are equipped with. I am very aware of the costs of USA made CDI auto advance units. I work very closely with the manufacture of my favorite electronic ignition system. Due to my relationship with this manufacture I will not be separating the BCMA SPE ignitions as a separate product. This would place me as a direct competitor unstead of a reseller. Nor do I have the permission from the manufacture of these ignitions to do so.

I will have extra complete ignitions systems on hand, but they will be for warranty replacement and testing purposes. Maybe in the future I will release them but not until I have permission to do so. So at this time they will not be available for sale. However I will be continuing to sell the S/S ignition units.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Kamikazi

blackbaron,

Thanks very much for the explanation. Like I said in a previous message, these engines look like a great value. I bet they'll sell like hotcakes once they establish a reputation for themselves. Having support and parts here in the USA is a huge plus.

As for the CDI ignitions, I can understand your position with your USA manufacturer. Although to be honest, I'm not sure what it offers that a CH with SyncroSpark doesn't have for the same or lesser price.
And - Sooner or later (probably sooner) someone in the far east is going to notice the market for this type of product. I think we can guess what will happen to the prices then
Old 03-17-2006, 01:59 PM
blackbaron

Kamakazi, I welcome your questions and hope that we will do business in the near future.

The S/S ignition has been around for a while but it just hasent cought on quite to the point that CH has. The S/S ignition has a better fit and finish than the CH ignition so it looks a lot nicer. It cannot claim that it works any better. Roy is working with Taurus Engines to use these ignitions and as his volume increases, his prices will come down as a result.

My profit margin is very small on these ignitions but thier cool, and Roy is an awesome guy so I support him. This is a premium product and I stand buy it 110% and I use them myself.

You are also very correct about it being a matter of time for the Electronic Ignition systems to start filtering into the market. This is without a doubt on the minds of all the guys here in the US making these ignitions. In this business integrity is everything and I will not compromise mine to make a few bucks.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:12 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

how's the stock on the 26's? might need one by the end of next month.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:05 PM
blackbaron

I will have 20 of them by the middle of April.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:00 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

good deal. I have a 1/4 scale Midwest Giles that I picked up with a G38 in it. Way too much wingloading- 37oz!!!! I'm putting the G38 in my 1/4 scale DR1 and was going to put a ST 2300 in the Giles. I wanted a gas engine, but everything is pretty heavy in this size range or too expensive. This engine takes care of both these problems. The all up weight is about the same as the Super Tigre!
Do I have to get on a waiting list?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 AM
SIREX

I will have pictures of BCMA SPE 40 on my cap in a couple of days. Adams pictures do not do them justice these are some really great motors. The builder building my plane could not believe how nice they are. He had to show it around before putting it on my plane.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:47 PM
SIREX

Here is my new BCMA SPE40 on a Supercraft Cap 232. I can't wait to fly it!!!!!

Name:	Hf10372.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	438348  
Old 04-04-2006, 01:40 AM
blackbaron

Wow! That engine sure looks great on you plane! These engine run really nice. I pulled one fresh out of the box and ran it on an APC 18X10 prop at over 7300 rpm. I barely had to even touch the carb settings and this engine starts in one flip every time. I made you a spinner adapter today so I will send it out to you tommarrow.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

Here is my 26cc mounted to an extreme flight yak 68".
Haven't started the motor yet, but it sure is small and light.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 PM
SIREX

Updated picture BCMA SPE40 with EI

Name:	Vt58372.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	438840  
Old 04-12-2006, 01:13 AM
acesmike

Ive been looking into these engines for a while, and am trying to make up my mind if the spe40 is worth the money. I was told that these conversion engines are not balanced well and put out more vibration than motors designed specifically for airplanes. Any input? My other choice is a Brison 2.4, but its $200 more.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Antique

The percentage of "made specifically for airplane" engines compared to conversions is debateable...Some of the engines advertised as made for airplanes use chainsaw cranks and cylinders...If you buy chainsaw parts and make the crankcase and prop hub it isn't "made specifically for airplanes"
Maybe "assembled" would be a better word
Old 04-12-2006, 01:46 AM
Magna

Though I can't see clearly, is the SPE 26 carb is walbro?

Blackbaron how is the original muffler like, ie less restrictive type? The CRRC gasser also from china as discussed in the thread seems to suffer muffler cracking issues. The material from picture seems similar between this SPE and the CRRC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.