Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

School Me on Fixing My DLE 20 With a Bent Crank

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

School Me on Fixing My DLE 20 With a Bent Crank

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 PM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default School Me on Fixing My DLE 20 With a Bent Crank

Crashed a DLE 20 and I bent the crank on it. Will I need just bearings and the crank?

What kind of puller do you use to get the prop hub off? I don't have one that small.

Finally, who has the best prices on parts for the DLE 20?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: School Me on Fixing My DLE 20 With a Bent Crank

Are you sure the crank is bent or just the prop hub bolt, 90% of the time it is just the prop hub bolt and can be re alined very easy.

Milton
Old 09-13-2012, 04:08 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

DLE 20 cranks are easy to get, pretty inexpensive. I might try to straighten, but probably wouldn't spend too much time on it?

I haven't done one, but from the point the back plate, cylinder, piston and rod are removed, it shouldn't be that difficult? That drive hub should just be a light press fit. I would just give the prop end of the crank a good whack with a plastic hammer or big screwdriver handle while holding the crankcase in my hand. That should push the crank back into the crank case a little. It's not going to move far because the key will bottom on the front bearing. Tapping the crank forward again should leave you with a gap between the drive hub and the crankcase. The crack should allow the hub to be removed by prying with something carefully, while watching for that key to drop unexpectedly.

I would not replace the bearings in a low time engine. I would likely get the parts through Tower. That's me though... -Al
Old 09-13-2012, 06:06 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

Are you sure the crank is bent or just the prop hub bolt, 90% of the time it is just the prop hub bolt and can be re alined very easy.

Milton
It is hard to rotate the crank and the hub isn't rubbing on anything. When you rotate the crank, it feels like there are a couple of bearing balls that aren't completely round if that makes sense.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have any runout of the hub shaft, as a rule that means the threads have been bent on the snout of the crankshaft, Yes they can be straightened but for my money I wouldn't waste the time.It can and will set up a high stress area that can break and loose the hub,prop and spinner in one piece .I don't care to much to be ducking these sort of items myself, but maybe some do *L*
The hub & bolt has locktite on it and they don't come off quite as easy as one might think the first time around, good luck useing a plastic hammer I had to make a special puller myself as seen in the pic. Just to get the hub bolt loose, then I was able to get a puller on the hub to extract it. Other than the locktite the engine comes apart just like any other 2 stroke.
Oh and after a durt Nap that has bent things I would at least change out the front bearing if not both.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85342.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	1800708  
Old 09-13-2012, 07:00 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done it and it's quite easy. Once you pull the jug off and remove the piston, you will put the hub in a vise with something to protect it from the jaws. Heat it with a heat gun and with the nut on the end and a block of wood tap the end of the end of the crank and the hub will pop off. watch where the key goes. I put a towel on the floor so it won't bounce of the floor and go where all my other hardware is hiding.Install is reverse if you heat up the hub it will slip back on. About 45 min from start to finish. Pay attention to the position of the piston and ring before you remove it, put an arrow on the top of the piston with a sharpie pointing to the exhaust opening before pulling it. Bearings come out just as easy with a little heat on the crank case and a dowel big enough to contact the outer edges of the race if you need to replace them. Don't forget to wear some gloves so you won't burn your hand on the hot parts.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 AM
BR1

Spinnerow

Remove the cylinder, remove the rear crankcase half. Then use a flat tip punch on the outer bearing race to reseat the crankshaft bearing back into the front case half and your feeling of a bad bearing or bent crank will be gone.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 AM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: BR1

Spinnerow

Remove the cylinder, remove the rear crankcase half. Then use a flat tip punch on the outer bearing race to reseat the crankshaft bearing back into the front case half and your feeling of a bad bearing or bent crank will be gone.
Ok, that will be interesting to see if that is all it is. The plane went in at about an 60 degree angle so I assumed the crank was bent but I guess it could be that it is squishing the bearing! Man that would be killer if that it turns out to be!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Crank $25, bearings $18 from Tower with $5 shipping...I would replace them if there's any doubt for that price. I did wreck a DLE55 3 yrs ago, almost straight in. Crank wasn't bent, but Valley View did replace the bearings, as they indicated the rearward thrust of the impact usually flattens the balls in the races, and your bearings won't last long, ultimately sending bearing parts thru the motor and costing you a lot more...
Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the engine has a crank extension bolt, replace that and install new USA made bearings. Check for runout of newshaft. Good time to add a Frank Bowman piston ring. Capt,n