Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

smallest Gas engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: smallest Gas engines

Hey, Thought this might be interesting to some. From the NV 6.5cc gasser thread by Hllywd

"Hi all,
I have been tied up with some remodeling projects at the house and have not gotten out to the field in the last few days. I did get to mount and run a MAS 12X5 on the plane, but not fly it yet. So I have some preliminary numbers. I am getting around 11k on the ground, which should get me around 12k in the air, especially with a 5" pitch, and an idle around 2100. It throttles nicely with no hesitation and comes on step quickly. I will get back with some final numbers after I fly it some. I prefer to give real flyable numbers rather than bench or ground numbers as I think they do us little good. About how I come up with numbers; I setup the carb so that I get a setting that will hold at full tank, 1/2 tank, and quarter tank, that won't go lean at the top of a 400ft hammerhead, and will repeatedly go from full throttle to idle and back both right side up and inverted without a burp. I set my idle speed so that it will hold up fine even on landings that also count as a series of 3 or 4 touch and go's Once the plane is set up and has a couple of flights on it, I simply measure the rpms on the ground. Those of you who don't mind burning up motors or an occasional flame out will get higher numbers. These numbers are what you can expect in a stable flyable configuration that lets you simply concentrate on flying the plane and having FUN!.

In my opinion the low speed on a 2 needle carb should be set to give the most consistant midrange and smoothest transitions, not to get the lowest idle. To that end, I should note that I have not had to touch the low speed in the last 9 months of flying, no matter what the prop and from 50 degrees to 100 degrees weather. I simply adjust the idle speed on the transmitter trim for the prop changes or weather. Sticking to NV's recomendations I have not yet had a dead stick, flame out, or had to retrieve the plane from the field in 9 months of flying. I am also still on the same glow plug."

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11368119

T-man49 in Al
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been keeping track of the NV gas engine thread. It is a potentially great benefit to have a small .40 gasser without the bulky ignition. They also have been talking about a .60 (10cc) engine to come in the future. That would be a great candidate for their "ignition-less" gasser. Maybe I will hold off on purchasing a small gasser until NV engines comes out with theirs. If it is as good as advertised, it will blow away all the sub-20 cc gassers.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM
dadragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

corby I did the same thing about 15 yrs ago ALL the glow stuff went to the dump and even some of the crap they were mounted in.went to GIANT scale and GAS now I'm a happy camper.