Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DLE 55 dies during aileron roll

Hi,
    I have a DLE 55cc in a Reactor. The engine is pretty new with a few tanks of gas on the plane on a test stand. I began flying it a few weeks ago and all seemed to be fine- engine starts well and runs well in the air, circuits, loops, bunting etc. But when I do an aileron roll it either dies or sputters almost to barely running.
    I changed the plug to a CM-6, I checked the fuel line in the tank- friends had suggested that the line may have stretched inside the tank and was getting hung up. All seems to be fine.
    I just can't figure out what it could be the cause. My thinking is that it has to be the tank somehow, yet it runs perfectly in most attitudes and the strange thing is that it dies virtually immediately when the plane rolls upside down. I would have guessed that there would be enough fuel in the line to keep int running at least a few moments after the roll.
    Does anyone have suggestions how this problem could be corrected?

Thanks,
    Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: DLE 55 dies during aileron roll

Loose electrical connection?
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You have me confused here... you say that you can do a loop with no problem and yet a roll shuts down the engine... either way you are upside down!??

This does not sound like a fuel issue (there is a pump in the carb) but I'm going to go with 'Lifer' and suggest that there is a loose wire somewhere that the 'Violent' Roll causes to disconnect the power flow (vs a gentle loop ).

Start the engine up and check each wire ... just be careful - that is a big prop that you are swinging.
    It\'s Time to Kick the Tires and Light the Fires!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Had a fellow in our club with a similar problem with his DLE55. It was the diapham for the fuel pump.
    "It Ain't Lookin Good"
    http://www.evansvillercclub.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also, with a cowled in engine the pump regulator could be getting variations in atmospheric pressure or fluctuations that can cause the regulator to not function correctly. You may need to install a fitting on the regulator cover and route a tube back into the fuselage where the air pressure remains more constant.
    ref http://www.prme.nl/forum/viewtopic.p...28f2a9737edc77

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I cant comment exactly on a DLE55 but I had ENDLESS problems with a JC28 which in the end were all down to the valves between the carb and the crank case..
    I was suffering dead sticks during an tumbles or violent manouvers and also while inverted you could really hear the rev reducing...
    I tried the carb diafragms etc etc.. not saying it wont be this.. but the valves can be shown by cutting in certain manouvers and a bad idle and low end stability.
    Goldwing MX2 & DLE 30 + Harris smoke pump
    Seagull Super Tucano 91 & DLE 20
    Trex 500

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Zenoah G26 and me Syssa 30 used to do that, they were both set too rich on the H, high speed needle

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My DLE 30 would die everytime i rolled inverted.... turned out to the metering lever spring was too weak. replaced with genuine Walbro spring and it instantly cured the problem and the engine runs great in all orientations now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Also, with a cowled in engine the pump regulator could be getting variations in atmospheric pressure or fluctuations that can cause the regulator to not function correctly. You may need to install a fitting on the regulator cover and route a tube back into the fuselage where the air pressure remains more constant.
    ref http://www.prme.nl/forum/viewtopic.p...28f2a9737edc77

+1 , Seen it many times on various engines and airframes . The rolling action disturbs the airflow into the cowl and causes a pressure change that effects an irratic action of the metering diaghram.
    It usually doesn't occur on a loop manueuverbecause the pressure change is not as violent and sudden.

I would check the wiring as mentioned in previous posts ,but I would also install the static vent line to the diaghram cover as good measure. It doesn't take long to do and your engine will thank you...
    \"Aint this great !!\" - Chris
    \"Nosen Cessna 310 Club\" #8
    \"Cub Brotherhood\" #11

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to repair the Reactor before I can try anything more out. I tore out the LG gliding short of the field on the last dead stick.
    The Reactor's construction design is going to take some time to put back together!

Bill