Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Aircraft suggestions for the DLE-20 ?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Aircraft suggestions for the DLE-20 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aircraft suggestions for the DLE-20 ?

Just put into the ground today my new Aeroworks Extra 300 with my DLE-20. Nobody could figure out what went wrong ( as usual ). But it went straight in nose first, right after takeoff. The strange thing that everybody noticed was that the tail feathers were broken off. Mind you this was after a nose and right wing impact. Stabs showed NO marks of striking ground or any other type of impact. They are completely intact, except where they mount to the fuselage. Thus everybody was thinking weak build or engineering.

I am now looking for another model for my DLE-20. Would like to keep it as simple as possible and have even been thinking of a profile model. Thus, with all of this said, would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions as to another model for my DLE-20.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Aircraft suggestions for the DLE-20 ?

Have heard very good comments about the Redwing 20cc Sbach profile.

Karol
Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a thread right hereon RCU about the DLE20 and what models have been paired with it.check out this link http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10197884/tm.htm

DaleD
Old 09-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Granpooba

Thanks guys, will be checking out all suggestions ...........
Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Great Planes 70" Revolver is super popular with the guys that own them (some have actually gone through a couple of them...). See string "Larger Revolver" in the ARF section here. Great "go to" plane for knocking around sport plane style. Very little coupling on knife edge. Sturdy plane with plug in wings and compact dimensions make it easy to handle/transport.

And you can get parts for it.....

Mojo 65 for a profile....
Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 PM
MetallicaJunkie

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10197884/tm.htm

have fun...
Old 09-26-2012, 02:17 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Most of the .60-size warbirds are a good fit for the DLE 20. If a radial design, the stock muffler will usually work. In-line designs need an aftermarket pitts muffler for a cleaner look.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 AM
gade600sdi

Funtana 125 by Hangar 9. Awesome, 3D, Aerobatics, Pattern, does any trick there is with a DLE 20 and lands like a trainer, very very floaty. 10# weight dont believe the published weight by H9 on it however. Guys love to watch mine fly, and I am not even that good of a pilot.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Granpooba

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Great Planes 70'' Revolver is super popular with the guys that own them (some have actually gone through a couple of them...). See string ''Larger Revolver'' in the ARF section here. Great ''go to'' plane for knocking around sport plane style. Very little coupling on knife edge. Sturdy plane with plug in wings and compact dimensions make it easy to handle/transport.

Funny that you recommend the Great Planes 70 " Revolver. I have been flying one now for two years with a Saito 91 and am very pleased with it. Looking it over last evening and again this morning thinking that this should be a great plane powered by a DLE-20. Then I come on RC Universe and starting to find pages of information on how many are already flying the Revolver with the DLE.

I may just opt for the combination. I already know the weak areas of the Revolver and am sure that I could put together a great performing plane.

Did not realize just how popular the Revolver was until reading about it here. Also knowing that this October a 50cc Revolver is coming on the market.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:47 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

dont get the redwing sbach, get the redwing yak more wing and more stable. I have had both, still flying the yak.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Great Planes 70'' Revolver is super popular with the guys that own them (some have actually gone through a couple of them...). See string ''Larger Revolver'' in the ARF section here. Great ''go to'' plane for knocking around sport plane style. Very little coupling on knife edge. Sturdy plane with plug in wings and compact dimensions make it easy to handle/transport.

Funny that you recommend the Great Planes 70 '' Revolver. I have been flying one now for two years with a Saito 91 and am very pleased with it. Looking it over last evening and again this morning thinking that this should be a great plane powered by a DLE-20. Then I come on RC Universe and starting to find pages of information on how many are already flying the Revolver with the DLE.

I may just opt for the combination. I already know the weak areas of the Revolver and am sure that I could put together a great performing plane.

Did not realize just how popular the Revolver was until reading about it here. Also knowing that this October a 50cc Revolver is coming on the market.

You'll have a grin that won't go away for a while after flying it "DLE" style. You can keep it under 10lbs easily, and even though it only has 850 inches of wing, it's NOT a heavy flying plane as a gasser for power! Everything's worked out already too. Just go back through the last few pages. There was a recap not too long ago?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>>> dont get the redwing sbach, get the redwing yak more wing and more stable. I have had both, still flying the yak.

Isn't that the profile with weak engine mount area?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 PM
raydar

I glassed and tri stocked both mine before first flight no failures on both engine mounts yet, have broke both planes by flying them into the ground though lol. flattened the landing gear three times on the yak due to dle 20 deadsticks and although the engine mount is still solid the whole front end fell off, repaired now. like most arfs its built to fly not crash. For a profile it is not strong I have to admit.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Granpooba

ORIGINAL: raydar

I glassed and tri stocked both mine before first flight no failures on both engine mounts yet, have broke both planes by flying them into the ground though lol. flattened the landing gear three times on the yak due to dle 20 deadsticks and although the engine mount is still solid the whole front end fell off, repaired now. like most arfs its built to fly not crash. For a profile it is not strong I have to admit.
Those firm contacts with Mother Earth will bite you in the butt every time. Not to mention your wallet .....
Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you figure out why the DLE was deadsticking?

Thanks, Ernie
Old 09-29-2012, 11:20 PM
raydar

Not yet. I have rebuilt the front end on the yak and I still have to refit the motor and tank.

I cant seem to get my dle 20 set up right, I can set it slightly rich for reliability but at the cost of hesitation in the transition and throttle control, not ideal for 3d. If I try to tune the hesitation out I get it running perfect and after several flights think I have it dialed in then the dead sticks just start?. Pain in the ass.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:35 AM
ahicks

Funny you should mention the setup thing. Yesterday I had mine out for the first time since our seasonal temps dropped from the 90's to the 70's. Thinking about that, I adjusted the high speed a little richer to compensate prior to even starting it. Ran OK on the bench, but in the air I had that stupid low - mid range hesitation. So I richened the low speed twice, getting it to the point where it was pretty sloppy, and it STILL stumbled during transition! Scratching my head now, I put the low speed back to where it was when I started. After a little more dinking around it turned out the high speed adjustment was causing the stumble. It was too rich, causing the engine to have to clear itself out before it would catch. Funny thing though, as rich as it was, it was still able to spin an APC 17x6 up to 8700 rpm..... Didn't tach it again after leaning, but it didn't sound that different?

Point reinforced yesterday is it's not always the low speed when dealing with a hesitation issue.

Mine dead sticks if the tank falls off (after a while) or if it runs out of gas. I've learned avoid both scenarios. The tank can be a PIA to find afterward, and the engine is a PIA to start if it's been run dry. -Al