Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

50cc ultimate biplane engine selection help

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

50cc ultimate biplane engine selection help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 50cc ultimate biplane engine selection help

Hello i was wanting to seek a little advice, i just bought a new nitroplanes ultimate biplane, the 50 cc one, 71" span. i have searched and am still unclear as to which engine will be best for me. i definately plan on some aggressive sport acrobatics, and maybe some 3d when i get a lil better. i want an engine with plenty of power, as i plan on running a smoke pump setup on this plane. I am in between the dle-55 and i see there is a dle-50. which one is gonna suit me best. I have seen vids on youtube of this plane with a 55 and it looks good, my instinct says go with the 55 but there may be something i dont know, thats why im asking. perhaps there is a much better engine i dont know about, if so let me know,unless its 700 bucks or something like that. i appreciate any help and advice i want to get the right engine. You guys ARE ALWAYS HELPFUL WITH GREAT ADVICE AND I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 50cc ultimate biplane engine selection help

455, there never was a DLE50. The 50 was a "DL" labled product. The company underwent some change and came out calling itself "DLE". The DL50 was discontinued and replaced by the DLE55. So, to me there is no option for the 50 as it would be either used or old stock. The early DL 50s had bearing issues which is another reason to stay away from the 50. Good luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 AM
raron455

SEE IM LEARNING NEW STUFF ALREADY,,I SEE THERE IS ALSO A DLE60 TWIN NOT SURE IF ITS TOO BIG, OR NOT NEEDED IF THE 55 IS PLENTY?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: raron455

Hello i was wanting to seek a little advice, i just bought a new nitroplanes ultimate biplane, the 50 cc one, 71" span. i have searched and am still unclear as to which engine will be best for me. i definately plan on some aggressive sport acrobatics, and maybe some 3d when i get a lil better. i want an engine with plenty of power, as i plan on running a smoke pump setup on this plane. I am in between the dle-55 and i see there is a dle-50. which one is gonna suit me best. I have seen vids on youtube of this plane with a 55 and it looks good, my instinct says go with the 55 but there may be something i dont know, thats why im asking. perhaps there is a much better engine i dont know about, if so let me know,unless its 700 bucks or something like that. i appreciate any help and advice i want to get the right engine. You guys ARE ALWAYS HELPFUL WITH GREAT ADVICE AND I APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH.

Be carefull with that Nitroplanes Bipe....I have been trying to get a wing for a Giles 202 for close too one year nowfrom them.I would sure beef that Bipe up a bit too and make sure you do not get a engine that shakes it do death!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I flew the Nitro 50 cc bipe on a Brison 3.2 until a servo glitch in the receiver took me down. The plane is an awesome flyer and will do anything you can throw at it . The DLE 55 will be a perfect match for it especially if you are going to add the extra weight with a smoke setup. The DLE 55 with a Xoar 23x8 prop will give you awsome power for 3D flying . The down side is there are no parts for this plane . Fly it like you stole it and enjoy every minute.
Be sure to reglue everything you can get to with CA . Pin the firewall and coat the engine box inside and out with epoxy to strengthen.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go with a FOX 3.2 it will balance the plane without adding nose weight and the engine has a massive amount of power.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM
raron455

OK I AM SET ON THE DLE55 THERE SEEMS TO BE A NEW   VERSION AND AN OLD VERSION WHICH ONE SHOULD i go with, also i see what they call a rear exhaust and it looks like the carb is on the back of the engine also, i guess thats normal?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:47 AM
captinjohn

Get the rear intake....unless the other one is 1/2 price!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:15 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Go with the 55RA rear intake/exhaust version so you dont have to cut up the cowl as much.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The early DL-50 engine did have some bearing issues due to the fact, they cast the bearing bore instead of machining it. The later DL-50's had machined bores. Mine was made just before the 55 came out, so maybe one of the last of the 50's made I don't know for sure. The DLE 55 is a good engine for the money, Both the DLE-55 and 55ra has the rear carb but the RA version has the rear exhaust, some like this feature very well for the narrower cowls. If your wanting more power the JC -60 is a powerhouse and so far has some very good reviews. EMS is also making a 60 CC but I'm not sure if they are available here through a USA dealer, also I have not read all that much about the EMS as compared to the JC.
As far as a Nitro plane's aircraft, I would think that one over quite a while, I like the Capt'n have one of there planes that needs a new canopy and I also have been waiting well over a year for a replacement. It may cost more but I will get my planes from a better source in the future, they may cost me more but I will be able to get replacement parts for them.

One other item about Nitro is several of the planes I have seen by them are way tail heavy and the advertised weight was off by a mile, over 3 lbs on my Yak. 17 lbs was the advertised flying weight and it ended up being almost 21. Needless to say it went on a diet *L*and by the time I had bought new items to bring the weight down somewhere close to what it was supposed to be,the great price was not that great. Plus there is some issues with the build itself being weak in all the wrong areas.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nitroplanes customer support is spotty. Parts replacement can be a problem, and their instructions are terrible. That's the bad.

Having said all that, I have several Nitro Planes gassers flying, and I like them and have found them to be well built for the most part. Even my 500 plus dollar Wild Hare Extra needed work on it like some areas re-glued, etc. before it was ready to go.

Nitroplanes prices can't be beat. It is just sad that they are letting their stock of real airplanes run out, and are jumping on the electric toy wagon....

AV8TOR
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM
captinjohn

Yes I agree, Nitroplanes is just selling mostley toy type junk airplanes. It is just about imposible too get repacement parts. Seems like all they got going is a bunch of flashy advertisements. Not much else. Capt,n
Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I also have one of the original DL 50 engines. I love it and have not had a single issue with it. It is currently installed in a warbird, but it was originaly purchased for a Great Planes Ultimate 160. THis is the plane I would recommend that you get. Mine flies great, but is currently in mothballs for lack of equipment to keep her flying. Warbirds are my current passion.
If you take a gander at the nitroplanes site, almost nothing is in stock! Crazy how they are even in business. I have never bought anything from them, but it does seem they are close to toys mainly and not models.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 PM
raron455

ILL TAKE MY CHANCES, THERE IS A GREAT POST OF A FELLA WHO BUILT ONE OF THESE PLANES AND SHOWED THE WEAKNESSES OF THE PLANE AND HOW TO CORRECT THEM. I WILL TAKE THE TIME TO TAKE CARE OF THE PLANES PROBLEMS ON BUILD. I EXPECT NO SUPPORT I DIDNT BUY THIS PLANE FROM NITROPLANES I BOUGHT IT FROM A FELLOW MEMBER ON THIS SITE, DIDNT NEED IT BUT 250 SHIPPED TO MY DOOR AINT BAD SO I GOT IT.I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT THE ULTIMATE IS NOT MY FIRST BIPLANE.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, just check it out good, assemble it and fly it. I have these airplanes from them:

72" span Katana
72" span Giles
76" span Tiger Moth biplane
70" span low wing "trainer"

I have gas engines in all of them, they seem well built and have held up well, and I like them very much. It just breaks my heart that they went from having some nice gas airplanes at good prices to now dealing almost exclusively in electrics.

AV8TOR