Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE Spring Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM
macmuz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE Spring Start

Hi there Guys.

Has anyone put a spring start on their DLE's like the zenoah motors.
I really like the idea of turning the prop 1 -1 1/2 turns backwards and letting go.
Beats flicking the prop.
Whats involved in converting one and and pics/diagrams to show how its done would b great.

Thanks Mario.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: DLE Spring Start

Seriously? Have you ever used a spring start? The GT80 made me so nervous about being whacked I changed it to EI so I could flip it.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All those spring start gassers had double ended crankshafts and the spring was on the back side of the engine.

The DLE single's have a single ended cantilever crankshaft and there is nowhere to put the spring.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I thought spring starts were great back in the day but with the current breed of EI ignitions, starting is so easy with just a flip of the prop. I'd never go back to a spring start unless is was on an old plane that had survived the years. I still use one on a Q75 in a warbird and probably won't ever change it as I need the weight anyway.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All the spring starter type used engines I came across had the spring wound too tight and ruined. The spring will distort and pull through itself. Any more, I consider them a liability and not an asset.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I do agree as if they are not regularly maintained and used properly they can cause quite a bit of havoc with an engine, model and sometimes even fingers, however when used correctly they can be quite an asset.

Karol
Old 10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I love mine. Not sure about on a twin though. The DLE certainly does not need it. Never more than 5-6 flips away from running when cold. My DLE 20 starts on first flip after that.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it would be neat if the guys got together at a RC flying field and made a "inertia" starter.It would need no electric battery. Make a flat stand/table too set the airplane on about 2 feet high. On end of stand would be a heavy wheel with a crank. On the wheel would be a starter cup....hand crank on other side. Get the wheel spinning with crank...and shove the spinner on your airplane into the spinning starter cup. You would never need too get your fingers near the prop...and airplane could not shoot forward. So you guys that got some ambition...give it a try ! Capt,n
Old 10-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Captainjohn,

What you described has been used by the control-line speed flyers for several decades. It works great!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I do recall years ago a hand held glow recoil starter that looked like an oversize flashlight.

Karol
Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Killer_Matt
My Feedback: (11)

When you have a magneto you have to turn the crank over quickly to create the spark, a spring starter is great for this. If you have a modern electronic ignition system flipping by hand is a non-issue since you don’t need the speed to create the spark.

I have a Zenoah GT-80 with spring starter.  I was told to service it often so after 50 flights I disassembled it and took a look.  It was fine so I just put it back on, that was 5 years ago.  The engine now has 420 flights over 6 seasons no issues at all.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is still a good option to keep your hands & fingers away from a prop when starting a gas or glow engine.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:03 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I think it would be neat if the guys got together at a RC flying field and made a "inertia" starter.It would need no electric battery. Make a flat stand/table too set the airplane on about 2 feet high. On end of stand would be a heavy wheel with a crank. On the wheel would be a starter cup....hand crank on other side. Get the wheel spinning with crank...and shove the spinner on your airplane into the spinning starter cup. You would never need too get your fingers near the prop...and airplane could not shoot forward. So you guys that got some ambition...give it a try ! Capt,n
Ihave this neat device, that when you press a switch it spins a cup, and if you press the cup against the spinner it spins the engine over. Iforget what its called but man does it work great on a cold engine that needs to be prined.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:28 AM
dadragon

thats why I love the quad engines pull it around 3/4 of a turn and let go and BAM your idling.and like what trucker said for war birds the weight helps,all I build is warbirds.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 AM
DL826
Banned

Hello,guys
i am a representative of the DLE manufacturer ,and this is my first time to come here.
So hope i can learn and share something about DLE in here.

If you have any question,please feel free to ask me. I will try my best to help you.
But i donot know that(because i am also a newer for engines, i am also learning about DLE)

Thanks for your attention and support about DLE.