Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Cheap NGK CM-6 plugs

Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap NGK CM-6 plugs

How much are you guys paying for the NGK CM-6 plugs? This looks cheap compared to what I've seen....

http://www.quickieparts.com/spark-pl...w-engines.html
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cheap NGK CM-6 plugs

Add shipping, then how much do you plan to save on a yearly basis?
IMHO, spark plug cost is an extremely minor part of the total hobby cost. Driving the car 100yds extra each day is more expensive.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 PM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attractive price indeed! Shipping cost seem a bit high unless you are buyi large quantities for retail sale.

DaleD
Old 10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
DaleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attractive price indeed! Shipping cost seem a bit high unless you are buyi large quantities for retail sale.

DaleD
Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM
STUKA BARRY

O'Reiley Auto parts= $3.65 ea. they might have to order them if the plugs are'nt instock, but it only takes one day
Old 10-09-2012, 02:12 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

I just bought some from Auto-Zone and 2 plugs were less than $6.00 total including tax.
Fred
Old 10-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Ernie Misner

O'riley's or Auto Zone sounds good guys, thanks loads. Okay, so the NGK CM-6 is much better than say the stock DLE plug. Isn't there something like a platinum plug or whatever that's a step up from the NGK? Just curious, even if there is the NGK might be the best compromise for the buck.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Man, you love opening can's of worms don't you?

Iridium plugs are what you're thinking of I think. You can get them in a CM-6 type plug, they're made by NGK, and they're about twice as much money. Because of that, many buy them thinking they'll get more performance on top end. When they don't, they claim the plugs are junk, a waste of money.

What they should have been looking at was the difference in low rpm performance. The plugs run more cleanly in richer conditions than the CM-6 will. That's it.... To some though, that feature is worth every extra penny that plug costs......
-Al
Old 10-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Ernie Misner

The iridium plugs might be the way to go then if you're having a fouling problem during break in, uncurable rich spot, or any plug fouling scenerio that's driving you.

Back in the '60's we'd spring for the platinum Lodge plugs out of necessity when running Castrol R (think plug fouling nightmare) when they had to start before a race. That was in racing two strokes like the Bultaco Pursang motorcycle.

If anyone can find and post a spark plug conversion chart showing the different brands of NGK CM-6 type plugs, please do.

Thanks, Ernie
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 AM
ahicks

Trying to minimize any false hopes, I like these plugs, but I'm shy of going so far as saying they'll help prevent fouling? Fouled to me is when the plug simply won't fire? Iridiums will darn sure foul if you flood the engine! Not more forgiving there either. Saying they're more about being more forgiving of a rich mixture is the best way I can think of to describe them. Where the standard plug leaves the engine running lumpy, missing, hesitating, etc. due to the rich mixture, the iridium works to smooth some of that out.

I still think most guys will be happier with the CM-6/standard plug. Iridiums are more of a specialized thing for guys that might be described as a "tuner"? Those looking for (and able to recognize?) that last little bit of available performance? Just don't look for it over about 2500-3000 rpm. with this plug, I doubt you'll find anything there. That's my take on them anyway.... FWIW, -Al
Old 10-10-2012, 04:29 PM
acerc

I don't understand this mentality over spark plug's. I pay $4 for a NGK-CM6, an OS # 8 glowplug is $8 and the four stroke plug is $10. The sparkplug will out last the glow plug ten fold at least. There are many of us who has engine's with gallon's thru them and numerous years with the first plug we installed. I don't ever recall any one , or thread,  with such concern's over the glowplug. All in all the NGK is very cheap. One can achieve much more or less performance by the grade of fuel, grade of oil, timing, and the tune. But the spark plug? At $4 buck's?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys have not talked about the CM-6 size iridium plugs offered by RCEXL yet?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Ernie Misner

http://mvvs.nl/RCexl.htm Scroll down to the ICM-6 plug.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 AM
ahicks

That's the plug I was speaking of. I was thinking NGK made it (and all other Iridium plugs?), but could be wrong about that. -Al
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

You know the difference between the standard plug and Iridium? End point resistance!  Not the resistor that is in the body mind you, the resistance between the points of the center electrode and ground strap. Because  it has lower resistance, there is a greater area for the the spark to jump across.  This is the only thing that makes it better for a richer mixture at low end.  The spark can make the jump through heavier air/fuel mixtures because of the lower electrical resistance between the electrodes. That's it, no magic to them.  You pay more for them because the metal to make them cost more. Is it worth the price? Yeah it is when you consider what acerc said. Compare the cost of one plug that in most cases will never be replaced again, unless you really really fly it every day 365 days a year and wear the motor out, against the price of glow plugs, which in the life of a glow motor, you can go through quite a few of them before the motor wears out. 

Think about it this way, the plugs in your car are rated for 100K miles, made with the same material that is in the Iridium plug.  Think you will ever put 100K miles of wear on one of these?  The only time I can see replacing the plug is when it gets broken in a crash, or you did something stupid and snapped it off. 
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Ernie Misner

Where can we get the RCEXL plugs in the US if we wanted to?

Doing a cross reference search for the NGK CM-6 plug, it appears that the Champion Y82 is the same size and heat range.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:33 PM
ahicks

Here's one source:
http://www.milehighrc.com/Ignition_Items.html
Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM
acerc

acdii,
If that's the case, your explanation for the iridium plug, then I will switch to them. I don't typically run to rich but will take all the help I can get. Especially at low end, you know like going into or out of a hover. And 7 buck's, plus shipping, for a plug that will last the life of the engine is very well worth it.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM
ahicks

You may like it based on your expectations! These things are made for engine guys.....

The talk regarding opening a CM-6 to .024 to ease "burbling" symptoms? See if you don't think it runs more cleanly in mid range as well. Not something easily measured, but you may notice it?

Here's something else to ponder. Many don't like to run rich because they can't. What if you could? What if this plug plain just made it easier to tune the low speed to something you can live with?

Oh, and I would order a couple of them. The freight is the same, and I don't know about you, but I generally manage to flood my engine pretty regularly. This plug won't fix that... -Al
Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Ernie Misner

..... won't "fix" the flooding Al, but will not foul out as soon as a standard plug. Less resistance in producing the spark. That's what I was alluding to earlier and that's what we had a bit of luck with decades ago with the then popular platinum tip plugs. A good thing all the way around. Good to see that Mile High has them and O'Reily's probably won't.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:21 AM
acerc

Ok! Now you've got me stumped. What exactly do you mean by,  You may like it based on your expectations! These things are made for engine guys.....

Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 AM
mixerfix
My Feedback: (1)

Well, that depends.

In Israel (where I am located) - I am asked to pay ILS 75-85 for a spark plug. That is, about $20. And I need to drive to get it. So - if I can get it shipped for about $5-$10 to my local post office, that is a bit of a saving :-).

Not SUPER much, but still. And - the non-annoyance factor is high. Why the qp394uyrqweijhr94yb0938qhruw eijnrjwxfh should a CM6 cost $20!?!?!?!?

M

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Add shipping, then how much do you plan to save on a yearly basis?
IMHO, spark plug cost is an extremely minor part of the total hobby cost. Driving the car 100yds extra each day is more expensive.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: acerc

Ok! Now you've got me stumped. What exactly do you mean by, You may like it based on your expectations! These things are made for engine guys.....

I mean I've seen quite a few guys try this plug, and because it wouldn't produce noticeably higher rpm, turn the next bigger size prop, or because it didn't make an extra hour of daylight every day, write in and say they felt ripped off. That the plug wasn't worth the extra money?

You wrote " Especially at low end, you know like going into or out of a hover." which I believed to be a reasonable expectation, and also leads me to believe you recognize the demands on an engine while doing this? -Al
Old 10-12-2012, 07:17 AM
acerc

Thank's Hick's.
I don't know why when I read that it hit me like "Huh"/ "Wha". Just one of those morning's I guess.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Ernie Misner

mixerfix in Israel, you get an A+ for dedication and faithfulness in this fun hobby in spite of the high prices and difficulity there. You are an inspiration and an attitude adjuster for us.