Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Run This Canister on a DLE 30?

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Anyone Ever Run This Canister on a DLE 30?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone Ever Run This Canister on a DLE 30?

I see this canister on several sites for between $50 and $75. It looks to have a universal header on it it and I was wondering how that fits on a DLE 30. What if any performance gains are there by running this canister?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36557.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1811475  
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 AM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone Ever Run This Canister on a DLE 30?

As you said you can find them all over the net for sell, The one you pictured has a solid aluminum header that limits how you can use it and some of the ones I used on 50cc engines have all cracked.

There are others that have a Stainless steel header that allows you to use in in different applications and seem to hold up better but have seen some of them crack also.

Don't think you will find any performance gain in any of them, If it was a tuned pipe you might find some but very finicky to set up.

I used one of the cheaper ones with a flex header and it was just about as loud and the stock mufflers, The $100.00 ones might be quieter.

Milton
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

As you said you can find them all over the net for sell, The one you pictured has a solid aluminum header that limits how you can use it and some of the ones I used on 50cc engines have all cracked.

There are others that have a Stainless steel header that allows you to use in in different applications and seem to hold up better but have seen some of them crack also.

Don't think you will find any performance gain in any of them, If it was a tuned pipe you might find some but very finicky to set up.

I used one of the cheaper ones with a flex header and it was just about as loud and the stock mufflers, The $100.00 ones might be quieter.

Milton
I have yet to run a muffler on any gas engine between 30cc and 55cc. I have always run tuned pipes. In gasoline set-ups the tunedexhaust is not at all finicky to set-up but rather it's bolt and play. Glow set-ups taht are pipedrequire pretty good tuning for proper ignition. Gasoline set-upshave theirCDIsprovide ignition no matter what and don't fail rich as many glow set-ups will at mid throttle...

The distance between the exhaust flange and the main reflector in the pipe needs to be a minimum of 27" for the 30 to 55cc engines to take full advantage of the pipe. I have run this distance as long as 30" with no noticeable performance change. A pipe adds rpm at the top but also adds quite a bit of torque at the top and middle of throttle

The key things about a pipeare as follows:having the room to accommodate it and proper mounting. As Milton has found out, headers can crack. Vibration will kill headers especially the ones with goosenecks that return the exhaust back to center. DA's header for 50-60cc engineswith the flex joint eliminates that problem but their teflon covering the flex joint will fail at some point. I've developed a different covering that stays put far longer. If interested, shoot me off an email directly... this nugget of knowledge is free. Also, soft mounting the pipe is better than hard mounting it
Old 10-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info Matt, thanks. Which tuned pipes have you run on gas? ES Composites, Mac's, or?

Thanks, Ernie
Old 10-15-2012, 12:32 PM
MTK

ES Composites carbon (superlightweight) and Mintor aluminum (nearly as lightweight as the carbon).. There are several others including MACs aluminum, Hatori aluminumand stainless steel ones (from DA) but they are too heavy for my tastes
Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: MTK
I have yet to run a muffler on any gas engine between 30cc and 55cc. I have always run tuned pipes. In gasoline set-ups the tuned exhaust is not at all finicky to set-up but rather it's bolt and play. Glow set-ups taht are piped require pretty good tuning for proper ignition. Gasoline set-ups have their CDIs provide ignition no matter what and don't fail rich as many glow set-ups will at mid throttle...

The distance between the exhaust flange and the main reflector in the pipe needs to be a minimum of 27'' for the 30 to 55cc engines to take full advantage of the pipe. I have run this distance as long as 30'' with no noticeable performance change. A pipe adds rpm at the top but also adds quite a bit of torque at the top and middle of throttle

The key things about a pipe are as follows: having the room to accommodate it and proper mounting. As Milton has found out, headers can crack. Vibration will kill headers especially the ones with goosenecks that return the exhaust back to center. DA's header for 50-60cc engines with the flex joint eliminates that problem but their teflon covering the flex joint will fail at some point. I've developed a different covering that stays put far longer. If interested, shoot me off an email directly... this nugget of knowledge is free. Also, soft mounting the pipe is better than hard mounting it
I'm running an ES 26G on a DLE 20 and I've found it to be a bit finicky to tune the midrange. Lots of burbling it seems but with 800-900 more RPM, I live with it.

I don't have room for a pipe on this next project. People at our club are running the flex tubing on theirs and it quiets it right down and they get a few hundred RPM more out of it as well.

I was just wondering if anyone has used this particular canister on a DLE 30.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

I see this canister on several sites for between $50 and $75. It looks to have a universal header on it it and I was wondering how that fits on a DLE 30. What if any performance gains are there by running this canister?
i bought this one for my DLE 30 and didnt see any gain in rpm. it did make it a lot quiter but its also very heavy.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: airraptor

ORIGINAL: SpinnerRow

i bought this one for my DLE 30 and didnt see any gain in rpm. it did make it a lot quiter but its also very heavy.
Might be time to try a mousse can on it.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> Might be time to try a mousse can on it.

Absolutely, great idea! Mac's header and a mousse can. I might just do that on my ProX260 and DLE or XYZ (have them both) 20cc.

Can anyone give me any ballpark header lengths for a 20cc????

Thanks, Ernie
Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 PM
airraptor

i was thinking this cannister in the pic was close to the mousse can but he## no its a heavy well chambered muffler.

its great if want to really quel the bark of the dle with no power loss over the stock exhuast diverter
Old 10-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Ernie Misner

I do llike the idea that mousse cans are lighter than air almost. I'll find out if they quiet the bark of a gasser much one of these days for sure.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
SpinnerRow

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

I do llike the idea that mousse cans are lighter than air almost. I'll find out if they quiet the bark of a gasser much one of these days for sure.
Would I have to use something the size of a Bud aluminum bottle on a DLE 30?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Ernie Misner

That is 1.83 cu. inch (30cc) so that's getting right up there for mousse can size. Too large of a diameter would cause drag on the airframe. I'd go for a long mousse or a good size coke can. Experiment with the stinger (outlet) size which will probably be smaller than the header size. Let us know how it goes..... will sound awesome.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 AM
airraptor

the header needs to be long in these to work in our rpm range. I have serveral ideas on mufflers that are and improvment of the "Jett" mufflers but he has patents on the design i think.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: airraptor

the header needs to be long in these to work in our rpm range. I have serveral ideas on mufflers that are and improvment of the "Jett" mufflers but he has patents on the design i think.
As long as you don't sell anything made from patent protected intelectual property, you go right ahead. Don't forget that any patent's teachings are public domain.

My soft rubber isolation mounts for engines are based on the Hyde, since the Hyde concept is the best. That concept is patented. I don't sell the mounts and don't pay Hyde royalties;but have probably made 3-4 dozen over the many years to accommodate at least2 dozen different engines in various sizes

As far as mousse can mufflers, these are straight forward and effective silencers but only as compared to the stock muffler. A friend of mine lines his with glass cloth to futher dampen noise and it works.

I suppose many who fly gas like some noise, BUT IF you want super quiet gas engine then it's impossible to beat a soft mounted, piped set-up. That's as close to electric like quiet as one can get. One of these days I'll take a video of mine and post it. You guys will hear for yourselves
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

I bought mine from Valley View and installed it on my SBach 30cc, which I flew on stock DLE muffler for a long while. After I added the canister, I could not be happier. The throttle response is crisp and no burbles. Sounds better and delivers more power. How much more? don't know. I figure I could retach and compare with my before numbers.

The only negative thing is that it has melted some covering and the punishment I put on the airframe is more severe. I ended up with fractured covering and glue joints buckling loose here and there.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> As far as mousse can mufflers, these are straight forward and effective silencers but only as compared to the stock muffler >>>

Hi Matt, thanks for the info. Do you think a mousse can on a gasser can give a nice power curve and more rpm's like they do on a glow setup?

Ernie