Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Nitroplanes Ultimate 40cc - 50cc

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM
dbs1995

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitroplanes Ultimate 40cc - 50cc

I am new to RCUniverse.com and I am not sure if I am posting this in the right area. If not, maybe someone can tell me where I should post it.

I am thinking about purchasing the Ultimate 40cc-50cc from Nitroplanes. I have not seen too many threads on this plane, and the ones I did find where from 2008 or 2009. Anyone have any info on this plane?

Next question is about the engine to put in this plane. This will be my first gasser. I am not excited about the cost of gas engines, but I do not want to spend a little money and get a piece of junk. Anyway, I have been looking at the Turnigy 50CC, the Turnigy 52cc and the RCG 50cc. The reviews seem positive and the price looks reasonable. Any info or suggestion on these engines?

Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:55 PM
SOLO_48
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Nitroplanes Ultimate 40cc - 50cc

Look into JC EVO engine
Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a DLE 55 in my Great Planes Ultimate. Unreal power to weight. Twenty feet roll out then straight up vertical till the cows come home. Way too much power. If I had it to do again I would use an RCGF 45cc. I have two RCGF 20cc and two 26cc and they run great.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
dbs1995

Thanks for the input Solo 48 and acerc. I will look into the JCEVO and RCGF engines. I did look at teh RCGF 26cc engines a few months ago while looking atpurchasng Hanger 9s Talylorcraft.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Scota4570

A friend had one with a G-62 in it. Flew really nice. I am very temped to get one when they are back in stock. I would put a BME 50 in mine because I already have that engine. I also have a 65cc conversion engine. If I had to add lead to make it balance with the 50 I would use the heavier engine. It is a lot of airplane. Logistically planes this big become a pain if you are not set up for it. They also require bigger servos and batteries, all cost more. For a first gasser maybe something int he 26cc size range could be easier to manage and give more flight time. Biplanes take longer to set up a the field too. My 1/4 scale fokker D-7 would get more flight time if were less trouble. Just food for thought.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I had one and it flew extremely well ,but .......
I have been building and flying for a few years and had the tools and experience to set the plane up correctly .
If you assemble it as is without fixing a few items yours might be a hand full.
You will need an incidence meter - two will be even better

Engine thrust 1.5 deg rt. and 1.5 deg down.

Top wing incidence on mine was initialy 2.5 degrees positive(too much) . I recommend adjusting this setting to 0 deg or the plane will try to climb with speed and stall at low speed .

Both wing needed the washout set at the wing tips . The wings were obviously twisted

When hinging control surfaces be sure to seal the hinge gaps .

These are typical problems you will find on any ARF but when you have two sets of wings the cumulative problems can make flying one a very bad experience

I flew mine with a Brison 3.2 (52cc) with a Xoar 23x8 laminated prop and had great power . A DLE 55 would be a very good choice also .

Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also if you buy one....you never will be able to get parts to fix it...fly that Bi-Plane real crefull!!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 AM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

DBS, when I went gas I saved and saved till I could get into good stuff. It's way to frustrating trying to learn, tune and repair the cheap stuff. I'm not saying you should spend "Top Dollar", just pick products that have a great rep so you can enjoy them instead of coddling them along.

The DLE product is a great inexpensive line of gassers. They work! The 30cc is about half the price of a Saito 180 nitro engine, so I find them a bargain. A 55cc is less than the cost of the big Saito. Get a proven airframe with reliable servos. Use an ignition cut-off ( JMHO ). If you are still on 72 wait till you move to 2.4.

All I'm saying is buy off the cheap enough to have a reliable flight package. The folks at your field will appreciate it and you will be able to enjoy it.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 AM
dbs1995

I appreciate all the input. I have really been trying to do my homework so I do end up with quality products without breaking the bank.

Scota - they are back in stock now.

Captinjohn thanks. I have purchased one plane from Nitroplanes - the AT-6. I have not had to get new parts for it - thank goodness, but that is a concern I have given the various things I have read and what I can find on their website. It appears they have very little in way of replacement parts for any of their products.

Right now I am in a debate with myself between two planes. I have really want to get a biplane and love the looks and particularily the size of the 40cc-50cc that I found on Nitroplances. The other plane I am considering is theHanger 9 Taylorcraft (believe it is the 2nd edition). It has great reviews and is a great looking and flying plane! Big benefit with Hanger 9 and Horizon Hobby is I can get parts (if needed). Another advantage of the Taylorcraft, according to Scota, is I could use a 26cc size engine in that plane.

I have the following planes that I have been flying: Started with the Nexstar and fly it occasionally with my kids; now flying Great Planes Escapade 40, Hanger 9 P51-Mustang; Nitroplanes AT-6 Texan, Great Planes J3 Cub (believe 80" wingspan and using the Evolution 61NT motor). My father also just purchased the ORBIT by blackhorse. Great flying plane and similar flight charateristics as the J3 Cub.

I would love any addition input on these two planes or other similar ones.