Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oil to gas ratio

I have an old Sach's 3.1 with the orange casing that I picked up in a trade. Does anyone know what oil to gas ratio would be acceptable for this engine? Thanks in advance.
    Piece of Cake
    Spitfire Brotherhood #121

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Oil to gas ratio

Same as the other gas engines.

I run 32:1 Pennzoil aircooled 2 stroke.

some people run 50:1 Stihl Ultra

Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

I have a Brison 3.2, it uses the same old Sach's components. I use Amsoil Saber at 100:1, and it runs beautiful.

ed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed

I have a Brison 3.2, it uses the same old Sach's components. I use Amsoil Saber at 100:1, and it runs beautiful.

ed
    That's a scary number, no matter what Amsoil claims. Nothing I own would personally ever run at 100:1.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have one of these that was burned up by a guy runnung Amsoil at 100 to 1 in it.

It now has a new piston and cylinder.
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

QUICK! someone find me a 10 foot pole! Mr moderator, lock this one down now before someone gets hurt.
    If what you believed to be true was false would you want to know the truth?

"You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Huh?? Oil in a 2 cycle?? Where do we put it? Mine has no oil pan... How often should we change oil?? Brian
    Brian P. Smith Bismith2@hotmail.com
    AMA 1044 IMAA 21141 W4BPS <><

Gas is made from oil. Why do we have to put oil back into it??? Oh, I get it..... It's so you have to pay twice!

AV8TOR
    If it is not SCARY, it is NO WHERE NEAR powerful enough!!
    All R/C planes have expiration dates---> It's just not printed on them anywhere!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

40:1 pens air cool/w 100LL.
    keep your powder dry and pray the creeks dont rise.

My Amsoil is better then your Penzoil, and my JR is better then your Futaba [:@] and your mother wares army shoes, phffffft, so there. [:@]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what does your engines manual recommend?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If this is for real and it happens to be an honest question instead of a fun thing, you can always trust W8YE. Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funny how someones asks a serious question and gets a bunch of a holes answering to hear themselves and can't spell because they never got past the 4th grade. Thanks to those who offered to help me with a question that needed an honest answer.
    Piece of Cake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anytime there is a thread that concerns oil - there is always a lot of discussion that goes nowhere.
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Moggy

Funny how someones asks a serious question and gets a bunch of a holes answering to hear themselves and can't spell because they never got past the 4th grade. Thanks to those who offered to help me with a question that needed an honest answer.
    May I suggest decaf to you sir? Wait, I guess I am now a hole too. (don't forget the hyphen it's part of spelling too. It is written a-hole, FYI )

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would also suggest 32:1 fuel to oil ratio. I also suggest using a really good oil such as Stihl Ultra or Amsoil Saber Pro 2 stroke oil.
    Both oils don't carbon up the inside of the engine and lubricate really well.
    Now if the engine is new, I suggest a 25:1 ratio for running it in at first for a couple three tank fulls.

Now as to running the 100:1 ratio, yeah that worries me too. But in weedwackers and leaf blowers it works because the owner doesn't try leaning the engine out anymore over what it was set for at the factory. Plus they only use the tools on weekends so the engines get a low useage in time. So the engines would be used like that for a couple of years or so before the owners likely replace them. The engines are set to run a little bit on the rich side and also they don't rev up all that high either. But with model airplanes, we can rack up a lot of time on the engines in a weekend in comparison, plus people tend to lean them out more, run the engines at higher RPMs, and load the engine down with larger props too. So I don't suggest using 100:1 ratio in model airplanes.

Also as the engine displacement gets larger the engine generally needs less oil to still lubricate it. Duke Fox had pubished articles about that effect years ago with glow engines. For example a large SuperTigre engine ran run with a 10% to 12% oil to fuel ratio. So it isn't unreasonable to see that a larger gas engine could use less oil in the fuel and it has needle bearings on the connecting rod too. So mainly the cylinder and piston needs the lubrication more. But then gas engines also use a much more lean air to fuel ratio than glow engines, so one has to be careful as the fuel has the oil in it. Now if they used oil injection like some motorcycles used years ago, there might be a way to lower the oil ratio even more.

But now if someone provides me with a gas engine to perform a longevity test on it for a long time using a high grade oil at a 100:1 ratio. I'll be more than happy to oblige them and publish my results too.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes Bubba if the shoe fits one must wear it. Thanks earlwb for the information and the insight.
    Piece of Cake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Agreed moggy. But I'm sure you know a out the pot calling the kettle black?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to use 50-40 to one percentage, but now I run 32-1 as I have some smaller gassers that require more oil. I only want to have to mix one can.

I have had great luck with Bel Rey MC1. It has been very good but has gotten very expensive. When I am out, I will be converting to Stihl ultra.

My post is serious, and if a newcomer honestly needs good info, this will work for you. Remember, too much oil will not hurt, too little will.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dadragon

40:1 pens air cool/w 100LL.

+1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well now you see what can happen to oil mix thread questions. With a very little research you will/would have been able to find enough info to make your own decisions. Some/many of the oil thread have been posted in fun just "trying" to stir up what we call oil wars. W8YE is a/the moderator and is always trying to be helpful. I guess the rest of us never know when a question about oil and mix is a joke or a serious question. saying that, I'm sorry that I took it as anything "but" an honest question.
    I have used Pennzoil air cooled 2 cycle oil mixed 32 and 40/to 1 for years and have never had an engine failure. I recently tried to Stihl synthetic at 50/1 trying to get a cleaner burn so my wife has less residue to clean off my models at the end of the flying day. Had about the same residue on the model, which is not a bad thing.. Shows the oil is working and doing it's thing. My take is any of the modern air cooled 2 cycle oils mixed properly will provide what lube/protection your engine needs. On my first Brison 2.4 motor Gary Allison the owner at that time told me Amsoil at 100:1 was fine to use in it. Every time I ran it, it smelled hot. I tried to richen the mixture to no avail. After a gal of gas with Amsoil at 100:1 I had to send it back for repairs and a stuck ring. Never again will I use Amsoil at 100:1. Others can do as they wish.. I have a local buddy who uses Wal-Mart oil in the blue bottle for years and says it is as good as anything he has used. He has not had an engine problem in the 15 years I have know/flown with him. If I have mis-spelled anything have the grammer cops fix it. Give those rascals something productive to do. My 2 cents about all that. May you have many hours of fun with your motor. Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No problem Brian, thanks for your reply. Honestly, I didn't know there was an oil war but I guess we can get set in our ways and what works for some may not work for others. I got cranky because I wanted to get some feedback from guys like you who have been around and I value your opinion. Best,

Moggy
    Piece of Cake

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I participate in several chainsaw forums and a oil question is sure to cause a half dozen pages of indecision there.
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I run 4 oz. per gallon. Right now is is K-mart pensoil. I also have synthetics from a bike shop. I have run generic 2-stroke oil from the hardware store. I have even run real castor, it actually is a mess. It does gum up the engine. It smell good though. It all works fine if you use a reasonable amount of oil, regardless of brand.

When my gallon can gets low I pour in 4-oz and shake then fill up with gas, California gas with the nasty additives. I don't think you can hurt an engine with too much oil. I have been purging all my chainsaw engines with scored liners. Often they are killed with too little or no oil. I just ran some 10:1 for kicks on the test bench. It ran fine, just smoked a little. Glow engines run 1:5 (20%) by comparison. The only downside to too much oil is expense and extra compression. Within reason it will not be excessively messy. I read about guys running 100:1 and I see no reason to do so. Most of the oil on my planes comes out of the intake. Running an oil lean mixture would do little for that. When it stops running and liner is ruined you will know that you needed more oil but, it is too late.

COLEMAN FUEL..................[X(] Run for cover, in comming!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Giant_Scale_Gasser

ORIGINAL: Ed

ed
    That's a scary number, no matter what Amsoil claims. Nothing I own would personally ever run at 100:1.

It's amazing to me the number of people who bash Amsoil 100:1. I have used it for many, many years and it is a wonderful product. It was recommended by Cermark for my MLD-28 engines and a packet was even included. My 3W 55 manual also recommended it. I have an old McColloch weed wacker I bought new in 1984. It has used 100:1 for over 20 years and still runs great. I use it in all my 2 strokes and they all run great and have long term.

I also knew some Ultralight owners who swore by the 100:1 in their Rotax engines.

Everyone should use what they are comfortable with but in my long experience with this oil it is a quality product.
    Is being a Circle Flyer a bad thing?
    Rex Birkinbine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast