Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SV 26cc replacement prop hub

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 04:06 AM
rsdonomoore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SV 26cc replacement prop hub

The bolt holes are stripped on the prop hub for my SV 26cc. Does anyone know if there is a replacement part from a different engine that will work? The manufacturer doesn't carry a replacement prop hub for this engine anymore. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: SV 26cc replacement prop hub

Tap and drill the holes to the next size up that makes sense. Get help if you need it.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can alternate metric with SAE and vice versa to drill and tap a hole the next size up without it getting too large. There is a SAE size bolt in between the 3mm and 4mm sizes and vice versa for SAE. So that way you can save the prop hub and reuse it.

If there is enough metal around the hole. You can drill it out a little larger and thread a brass rod to fit, use permanent threadlocker and screw in the brass insert. Wait overnight for it to cure good. You could drill and tap the rod before you thread the outer edge and then screw that into the hole. Then machine it off flat with the hub surface.

For those more talented, one can fill in the hole with aluminum solder and then drill and tap it to size too. But you have to heat it well and evenly to do that though.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Scota4570

I converted one of those types to a single nut to retain the prop, Food for thought.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:59 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot to mention that if you know someone around you that has a lathe, they could make a new hub for you.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two bolt prop hub? If so, there is not a lot of room for an over sized bolt. I would use the prop holes as a guide to drill and tap new holes.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:54 AM
rsdonomoore

Thanks for all the helpful tips. Luckily, I found someone locally that is selling their old sv for parts yesterday. Thanks again!