Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Gas engine Ring

The compression test result for the factory rings is waht I got as well. The FB rings really do increase the power. I will have to order a few sets to try out. I bought some factory rings and they cost about the same as the FB rings, so why mess with the crummy stuff? from now on I will buy from Frank. Thanks for the info!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have rebuilt many OS ringed GLO engines with Franks rings
    Engines had worn out rings ( low compression ) they returned to like new compression when you follow his directions on installation and break the engines in again
    This truly has always been a very rewarding experience , bringing an old engine back to new performance
    Do use his rings on NEW and OLD engines to have a better running engine overall
    Do explain what you need to Frank , he will make the ring to fit your needs
    Rings for worn engines ,I think are a bit oversized

His rings will improve your engines performance and reliability , and max performance is what I am about in this hobby
    Very glad we have Frank supplying the rings we need
    \" The power and performance glo fuel , 15 % Morgan Omega \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

On a related subject, what kind of oil do you guys use with your expensive engine? I only have a collection of string trimmer and chain saw engines, and just use the cheap oil from WalMart. They also have the better synthetic oil, and I have a gallon for my outboard engine. What kind of oil mix can you get away with? My outboard instructions say you can use a 100:1 mix if you use their oil, I use 50:1 with the synthetic snowmobile oil I have. I feel uncomfortable using 100:1. My cheap airplane motors are all between 32 and 40:1 recommended mix.
    Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use a brand name, anybrand, synthetic oil. I personally would not go less than 40-1. I just posted this question on another thread,
    If your vehicle require's five quart's, would you cut down to four quart's when switching over to synthetic?
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm servicing engines for Spanish modellers, and i've purchased FB rings of most popular engines to offer a better replacement when i need to change the piston ring.
    I started using FB rings a few years ago, and now i'm a FB ring's fan.
    My own test on made in China engines, Zenoah and DA, and my results, are the same as posted here by many experienced modellers :
    Better fit, better compression , and better general performance (not only rpm increase at top ) .

Many thanks for your support , FB
    Manuel from Spain

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can add to the satisfied customers of FB ring's. Ran the CRRC and DLE thru 32oz of standard oil then switched to my syn mix. Absolutely unreal that just a ring can make such a difference. On both about 800 more top rpm. Both had a much smoother idle and acceleration seemed better as well. I used the same prop that was on the other two broke-in engines. Same prop, same fuel, same outside temp. Speaking of temp, the two with new ring's was running 10-12 deg's cooler. So from now on I will be replacing all that I buy with FB's ring's. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for extreme performance. But better is better for the engine irregardless of mfgor cost of the engine. Im sure they will just get better.
    Can't wait to do the 20 and 26.

Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

800 more rpm's thats the most i have heard,thats great.
    i have used the FB ring in four engines, and now i don't even want to start a new engine with out a FB ring.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: closetguy

800 more rpm's thats the most i have heard,thats great.
    i have used the FB ring in four engines, and now i don't even want to start a new engine with out a FB ring.
    If the stock rings were real lousy to begin with then that sort of increase is quite possible. I have a G20 that ran quite well and which after only 2 gals of fuel had a ring gap of .037". Fitting a FB ring increased compression significantly, had a much smoother idle and added 400 rpm.

Karol
    When inverted always remember that down is up and visa versa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guy's gotta take in to account the rpm gain is not within the engine itself. It is the difference between a brand new engine and the other one that is well broke in. The new one's are where I placed the FB ring's. The well broke-in one's are still stock. I would have to assume the stock ring's are no where near as well as FB's. And I don't pretend that my test are anywhere near scientific. Just a personal observation. All I do know from these test is that FB's ring's make a considerable difference. IMHO And I will continue to use them.
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh! Yea! Also, one need's to take into account the engine brand, CRRC/ DLE, probably not first class ring's.
    Who know's? I'm happy!
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

?

Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nothing uploaded. See next post.
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After my last post I switched back to regular oil and set up tobreak in. This video is only about a minute long. My Futaba has a cool featurecalled servo setup.I programmed it to cyle the throttle from idle to about 3500 rpm. Iran a gallon thru it likethis and now it's ready forsynthetic and a good tuning. Then into an airframe.As soon as I build it.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exZhmRt5Etw[/youtube]
    Robert

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After the above postI switched over to my synthetic blend. It's amazing the difference those Bowman rings make. It's not just the added rpm or lower idle but alsoit is just smoother throughout. Can't wait to finish up the other one's. Also want to make a note on my previously stated rpm. I read my notes wrong and there was an rpm from a previous run on the other engine with a smaller prop that I mixed up with. Now, with the synthetic, itis running about 450rpm consistently higher.
    Robert

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123