Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: NGH 38CC 4 stroke

Mike,

see post 169 where a Saito muffler was installed . . . . apparently only run for a short. Mabey SJN will respond here

T-man49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It sounded fine when running, but I can not tell if it sounded like a Saito. :-)

If you can afford it, then buy the saito.
    Sonnich Johannesen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just got a return note from the folks at AMR where I bought my motor. I think this is a good company to deal with. My qusetions were answered with out any bull or run around. Gotta like that.
    If its not a warbird, Its just a target.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Guys,
    if you are looking for a muffler, maybe this could help: http://www.modellmotoren.homepage.t-online.de
    Armin is well known here in Germany for building 4 Stroke Engines. He has a muffler for his 38cc VT 38 Engine! Maybe it also fits on the NGH header.
    Click on "Motoren" then scroll down and click on "Zubehör" or switch to the english version (but i don't know if the english version is on a current status)
    Christian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now after the first day of flying with this engine, three flights, Iv'e found the crank has alot of play at the bottom end of the rod. This isn't good. I won't dump any more cash into this POS. Lesson learned.

Mark.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MKnutson

Now after the first day of flying with this engine, three flights, Iv'e found the crank has alot of play at the bottom end of the rod. This isn't good. I won't dump any more cash into this POS. Lesson learned.

Mark.
    Are you sayingthe crankhad littleplay before you used it and now after 3 flights it now has a lot of play?
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How did you check this? It seems it cant be possible a needle bearing to loose after several hours run without throwing a needle.
    Pls. detail the problem you feel.

GlowHead Brotherhood #31

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First off, it's not after several hours, but maybe an hour total time.
    It had very little play if any at first, now it has way more than I feel safe running with.
    Iv'e got a 15 year old Brison 3.2 here that's never been apart and still runs like a top, and tight.
    It can be possible due to poor quality material in the crank pin and bearing. All you have to do to check it is to rock the crank lightly back and forth with the crank pin 90 deg. to the cyl., or halfway down the stroke. This should not have any play with a four stroke, a two stroke not quite as critical since the rod is positivly loaded all the time.

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like the bearings may be defective. But I don't know if that is indicative of all of the engines though. I have seen unlucky guys with major brand name engines having bad bearings in them too. The major brand names are supposed to be ultra high quality no less, but they still had bad bearings show up from time to time.  It does suck to have to repair the engine after such a short time, but it is good you caught it before a bearing comes apart and shot peens the insides of the engine.  It is interesting, we'll have to watch and see if anyone else has the same problem or not too.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hmm, i was always sceptical over the NGH range...& tbh with the amount of flying i do...i sold all my Gassers & actually went back to glow..for that unmistakable sweet awesome 4-stroke glow rumble, esp for my ESM warbirds!...i run SC engines now & the 180 on an 18x8 prop uses very little fuel & has never missed a beat!!..cheap 4-stroke glow for the win!.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mark, how much play have you got ?

Here`s mine :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NDl...ature=youtu.be

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2NDlTCkUyE&list=UUm87T1DR5SdALQ-2tuK4s-A&index=1[/youtube]
    Sonnich Johannesen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey...that's not a problem, i see only lateral play in your video...up/down movement would be a problem though...
    All i see there...if you can imagine the piston in the bore/ & the ring is sat in the bore...that movement is the play in the ring land!....looks ok to me.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea, mine is fine, but would like to compare it to Mark`s :-)

But Mine hs only been run for 2 minutes max....so lets see
    Sonnich Johannesen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If your ring lands and grooves have that much play there's a problem, that thing will hammer itself apart in no time!
    SJN, mine is like yours in the video. The movement at the end of an 18in. prop is about 3mm.
    I'm comparing to my other engines: new DLE35RA, DLE20, OLD Brison 3.2, G62, g23 and a g26, all of which are tight...NO play.

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Mark if you really think it's a POS I'll give you $100 for it (plus postage)
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think I'll keep it and run it till it blows, maybe it won't, we'll see.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saw this video of it powering a 50cc 2 stroke p-51 mustang airframe.
    18x8 prop.

Seems to power it allright in a scale manner concidering it is a fairly large plane for the engine

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2HCdUgmy8w&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
    Sonnich Johannesen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SJN

Saw this video of the it powering a 50cc 2 stroke p-51 mustang airframe.
    18x8 prop.

Seems to power it allright in a scale manner concidering it is a fairly large plane for the engine

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2HCdUgmy8w&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
    In the text, the video poster claims 7100 RPM W/an 18 X 8 prop. That is pretty weak, about 2HP.

My FA 150 CDI running on E-85 made 7500 RPM or about 2.4HP W/an 18 X 8. Later I found out that in winter, Northern states E-85 mix is closer to E-60 as they up the percentage of gasoline for better cold weather starting. (I bought the fuel in New York state in the Syracuse area @ the end of February last year) I doubt that straight gasoline would have dropped the power as low as 2HP. That's a 25cc 4-stroke engine, 35% smaller in displacement making as much or more HP..

I just don't see the idea of running a large/heavy engine that makes so little power.

If price trumps performance, then I guess it makes sense.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

18x8 prop.

In the text, the video poster claims 7100 RPM W/an 18 X 8 prop. That is pretty weak, about 2HP.

My FA 150 CDI running on E-85 made 7500 RPM or about 2.4HP W/an 18 X 8. Later I found out that in winter, Northern states E-85 mix is closer to E-60 as they up the percentage of gasoline for better cold weather starting. (I bought the fuel in New York state in the Syracuse area @ the end of February last year) I doubt that straight gasoline would have dropped the power as low as 2HP. That's a 25cc 4-stroke engine, 35% smaller in displacement making as much or more HP..

I just don't see the idea of running a large/heavy engine that makes so little power.

Did we watch the same video? I saw a large warbirds that while not overpowered looked ok. This on a 38cc four stroke. I learned a couple years back from some engine guys that used to post on here all the time, stop worrying about RPMs and start looking at thrust and how the plane flies. RPM is useless if the plane does not perform. Just my 2cents.
    Michael.M Waco brother #187

P-47 Brotherhood #22

And Certified Warbird Nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: skillet92

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

18x8 prop.

Did we watch the same video? I saw a large warbirds that while not overpowered looked ok. This on a 38cc four stroke. I learned a couple years back from some engine guys that used to post on here all the time, stop worrying about RPMs and start looking at thrust and how the plane flies. RPM is useless if the plane does not perform. Just my 2cents.
    All that video proves is that the combo is marginal under the most ideal flight conditions.

RPM W/a given prop = thrust. More RPM W/that prop = more thrust.

An 18 X 8 @ 7100 RPM = 15.48# of static thust @ 32Β° F. At 86Β°F that same 7100 RPM would be decreased to 13.95#, but @ 86Β° the engine would not make near as much power (RPM) so thrust would be decreased even more dramatically.

I used 32Β°F since the video was obviously shot @ low temperatures as evidenced by the snow. On a hot, humid August afternoon in Southern Indiana that plane would not be performing nearly as well as it did under the nearly ideal low DA conditions in the clip. If it did get off the ground, it would be flying on the verge of a stall. Low DA (cold, dry, dense air @ high barometric pressure) = more power & more lift. High DA (hot, humid air) = less power & less lift.

My converted FA150 CDI engine would be considerably lighter while producing 20% more HP & 17.28# of static thrust. I would not even consider putting my FA 150 CDI into a 50cc sized airframe.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Depends on the airframe. I have an ESM corsair 74" wing that I fly on a g-38 Ralph converted 18x8 xoar. I also have a ESM fw190 with a dle 30 that is also turning a 18x8 xoar. Both fly well. While the FW flys with more punch the corsair still flys well and it needed the weight of the g-38 up front. I fly at sea level and in the south with our heat and humidity. I don't have this engine but i am looking at it and I don't go by numbers and figuring. I go by what a said nine will do in a certain plane or prop. I need to see more on it to tell wither it will work with a warbird or two. I figure all my planes separate depending on hat I need for each on based on weight and power. A lot of extra weight mounted up front create other problems.
    Michael.M Waco brother #187

P-47 Brotherhood #22

And Certified Warbird Nut

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice break-in run....Hard and fast,seat the ring quick! That's how I do it too, don't have a bad runner yet, all have excellent compression.
    You notice in the video that the power is at full boil the whole time? It could use a little more power.
    Mine was turning a 19-8 xoar at about 6600 at 100ft base elev., not real strong.

Mark.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gents all you forgot is all those are still brand new,2 ringed  and steel linered engines.That means they need quite hours to break in(both rings and also liner will match unlike hardened alu.blocks).Those power figures will improve then.8-10 kgs P51 flies very well on video.I want to see it after 10-15 hours flight .
    GlowHead Brotherhood #31

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It would be interesting to see one with Bowman rings.
    Has anyone tried a 18x10?
    Balsa USA brother #1
    Top Flight brother #08
    Sig brother 104
    Cub brother #206

Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Turk1

Gents all you forgot is all those are still brand new,2 ringedΒ* and steel linered engines.That means they need quite hours to break in(both rings and also liner will match unlike hardened alu.blocks).Those power figures will improve then.8-10 kgs P51 flies very well on video.I want to see it after 10-15 hours flight .

It would be interesting to see it fly on a hot summer day.
    SIG BH #41

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast