Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NGH 38CC 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Basil Yousif
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now the people at AMR want $40 for the intake manifold shipped. Ouch!! It's getting to be where it's better to just buy another engine from Hobby king and use your existing engine needing parts as a parts backup. They wanted $20 when I started now they want $40. They must have heard about the parts freeze.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 AM
Pontiac_40

Wonder what's going on with the parts for this engine in the USA. Does anybody know if it's being discontinued? What's the word on the street outside the USA, any guys outside US please chime in?
Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Pontiac_40

Here is the response I got from NGH about the GF 38 when I asked if they had any plans to discontinue the engine:

Dear Zawar,

GF38 4 stroke engine has been inproduction all the time and sales very well,

we never discontinue in thisengine. Did you have any misgiving?

And NGH will release new engine,such as GF28, GF144 3 cylinder and GF84 3 cylinder 4 stroke gasoline engines.

Looking forward to cooperating withyou.

Regards

Nancy
Old 05-27-2014, 11:10 PM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope the 144cc is an inline...then its got my name on it for sure :-)
Old 05-28-2014, 12:05 AM
the pope

I hope they dont just drop their interest in this engine . They need to improve and rectify their existing engines before coming out with more . I dont have any of their engines and probably wont but I seem to have read somewhere before that they just move along with there next best thing and leaving owners in the dark with the older engines . This may or may not be true but its what seems to be a common theme from what I have gathered . What seems to be the problem with the cheaper engines and I include asp/ magnum in that boat is the choice of materials . The asp / magnums that I own all have alloys that is way to soft and strip threads way to easy and there seems to be issues with these engines as well . Cheers the pope
Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 AM
Pontiac_40

Originally Posted by the pope
I hope they dont just drop their interest in this engine . They need to improve and rectify their existing engines before coming out with more . I dont have any of their engines and probably wont but I seem to have read somewhere before that they just move along with there next best thing and leaving owners in the dark with the older engines . This may or may not be true but its what seems to be a common theme from what I have gathered . What seems to be the problem with the cheaper engines and I include asp/ magnum in that boat is the choice of materials . The asp / magnums that I own all have alloys that is way to soft and strip threads way to easy and there seems to be issues with these engines as well . Cheers the pope
I hope they don't. ASP an Magnums have been around for a fairly long time. If NGH decides to stick around, we (consumers) need to provide feedback to the manufacturer and ask for improvements.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Basil Yousif

I ordered a part from a UK outfit for $28 us. That's expensive for a $7 part and that's the downfall of this engine that you can't get parts for cheap. I was actually thinking of getting another engine as a parts engine from Hobby King. If over time you needed a few parts you would easily pay $300 with the way the whole thing is setup. Someone locally should sell parts or NGH themselves should offer parts online at a reduced shipping cost if there's not many options for the customer or they will go out of business. I think the deal with Hi Model and NGH is most likely between the two. If HiModel decides to get out of selling the parts all these overseas parts houses will go into Highway Robery Mode with the parts they have left. That AMR place jacked the price of the intake manifold to double the price from $20 to $40.
This sounds like the inkjet printer scam where you buy a printer for $40 and the ink last for 50 pages and then you have to spend $60 for refills to print out another 50 pages.

Last edited by Basil Yousif; 05-28-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:37 AM
ALFIEV

Hey Basil, that's exactly what I have done. I bought another engine off Hobby King (the first engine I bought off AMR but shipping costs from Canada to here put it over the threshold for import tax) and I will keep the second engine stashed away for a rainy day. I did buy some parts off Himodel a while ago and it went well. I am curious about their "parts freeze". Wonder if they've had a falling out with NGH then.

Alf
Old 05-29-2014, 02:45 PM
the pope

This is not necessarily aimed at you alf but if have to buy a second engine for parts or keep throwing parts at it then its no longer a bargain buy . Saito or OS would be a better buy in the long run . Cheers the pope
Old 05-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Basil Yousif

I got a backup engine on my CRRC Pro GP26R engine but not by choice. The seller sent me two engines by accident and with the shipping charges as much as the engine they said I could just keep the other engine. The only drawback to getting two of the NGH 38cc engines is now your getting close to being able to buy the OS GF40cc Four stroke Petrol engine. OS makes a great engine but it is $900. But you think one of these GF40's will outlast two NGH's (one used as backup for parts) or is this OS engine also hard to work with.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:59 PM
ALFIEV

Originally Posted by the pope
This is not necessarily aimed at you alf but if have to buy a second engine for parts or keep throwing parts at it then its no longer a bargain buy . Saito or OS would be a better buy in the long run . Cheers the pope
Yep, fair call. Mind you, there are a number of guys using the NGH GF 38 who have had very little problems. Tyor and SJN seem quite happy with their engines. I'm hoping that my engine will become more reliable and user friendly as I get more hours on it. I think it's always a bit of a gamble if you buy a chinese manufactured engine. I'm not saying they can't build good engines, but their after-sales is very poor in my opinion, and QC can be a little hit and miss.

To be fair, the only thing I have replaced on the NGH was the rocker shaft which broke owing to my own over-exuberance when tightening the tappet lock-nut. I bought the second engine because I wasn't sure I'd get the spare parts I might need going into the future. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have bought the second one, haven't needed any spares off it yet.

You're right, if you don't want to take the risk, go and buy a Saito or OS. I may well do so for future projects, but I will persist with the NGH until I have exhausted all my optimism!!!

Alf
Old 05-29-2014, 03:04 PM
Basil Yousif

I heard the Saito is not reliable and hard to start. I helped someone at the field with one and we could not get it running right. I had a easier time with the NGH 38

A Dealer has the OS GF40 for $600 shipping included. I might jump on this!!

Last edited by Basil Yousif; 05-29-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:37 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Basil Yousif
I heard the Saito is not reliable and hard to start. I helped someone at the field with one and we could not get it running right. I had a easier time with the NGH 38

A Dealer has the OS GF40 for $600 shipping included. I might jump on this!!
The early Saito gas engines had an odd ignition set-up & unreliable carburetors. The current crop use Hall sensor CDI systems similar to RCXEL & an improved carburetor. Reliability is no longer an issue.

As far as reliability goes, the NGH 38 seems to have issues & there are no parts availability issues W/Saito.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:16 AM

I have been following this thread for a while, and have decided this NGH line is poorly manufactured and poorly supported.
This engine is off my list, I feel sorry for the beta testers, I have done that previously with other brands, hence my reluctance to jump on this one, glad I waited this time.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:31 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3136
I have been following this thread for a while, and have decided this NGH line is poorly manufactured and poorly supported.
This engine is off my list, I feel sorry for the beta testers, I have done that previously with other brands, hence my reluctance to jump on this one, glad I waited this time.
Kind of reminds me of the ASP FS400R5. Attractive price but poor reliability & product support.

It would scare me even more when multi-cylinders are brought to the fold.

I would stick to the Japanese or European engines. More expensive but worth the investment in the long run. Especially when an expensive airframe might be put into jeopardy if a failure occurred at an I opportune time.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:55 AM
SJN

Well, still happy with mine.

My nemesis is almost ready to go.
Will see how my engine copes when side mounted. It has always been mountd inverted before.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00524.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	1999902   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00525.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	1999903   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01006.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	1999904   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01007.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1999905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01015.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	1999906  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:09 AM
Basil Yousif

Wow what brand is that huge Zero. Is that the Nitro Planes 50cc size Zero.

All I have to do with my engine is just get the broken intake manifold replaced and open up the holes on the carb bracket to let it move up slightly and I won't break another intake. If I can get the engine to run smoother it will be ready to go into the plane. This engine is definitely not for a beginner with all the adjusting and tweaking you have to do.

Last edited by Basil Yousif; 05-30-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 AM
SJN

Yes, it is the nitro planes/ CmPpro 50cc Zero.
you can see videos of one flying with the new 50cc 4 stroke from Gaui here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/gas-...-4-stroke.html

Mine has the ASP 400 radial in it.....almost ready to fly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00092.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1999971   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00099.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	1999972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00573.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	1999973   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00957.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	1999974   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00958.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	1999975   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07155.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	329.6 KB
ID:	1999976   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07157.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	1999977  
Old 05-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Basil Yousif

The Zero is a really excellent kit I always wanted to get one. I have the CMP Warhawk 1.40 size. Is it better to spray a clear flat coating over the fuse and wings to help fuel proof them. I got a can of LustreKoat clear to do mine.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:39 AM
SJN

My little .50 zise zero with the saito 72 in it sprays fuel all over it, and has not had any problems with the paint........
My plan is actualy replace the ASP radial in the 50cc size, and get the Gaui 4 stroke for it, as the asp 400 is a little unreliable :-)

Only problem with the zero is that is it very tail heavy with the short nose, and installing the servos in the tail as per instructions makes it impossible to balance without using heaps of lead in the nose.
So I have installed all my servos up front and carbon pushrods to the control surfaces.....still needs some weight in the nose.
But the weight is not an isue with this huge plane with lots of wing area......you just need a good engine to haul the weight. Infortunatly the NGH GF38 is just a tad small for it.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Pontiac_40

Here is a suggestion, let’s put together a list (in order ofpriority) of improvements we would like to see incorporated in this engine I’ve asked the NGH factory via email stating if they would be open to suggestions regarding the GF 38. I will post the response here; it seems thatthey are willing to do so. I also spoke with Jim at AGAPE RACING (http://www.agaperacingandhobby.com/), he gave me someinsight as to what’s going on in China at the NGH factory since he has visited them in China and has seen their operation up close. Jim mentioned that he would also be willingto convey a list of improvements directly to the guys who are responsible for the engineering of this engine. I think it’s worth a shot.
Also to the guys who don’t like this engine, don’t even own one and question its quality, reliability etc. I say, that’s fair enough, it’s your opinions/views. Just please be constructive in your criticism, it helps Folks like us who actually own the engine are hobbyist whom like to investigate and find the “good”, “bad”, “ugly”it’s all just part of the fun.
Here are some of my suggestions (not in order of priority) Iwould like to add to the list, we can prioritize or nix stuff off the listlater once we get a few suggestions:

1. Carb manifold assembly anchoring should be better.
  2. Timing degree marks on the hub
  3. Include a silencer/muffler
  4. Rocker and valve assembly needs to be sturdier(while adjusting valve clearances the whole assembly pivots) and reduce play inthe rocker arms.
  5. Better balancing on crankshaft and other parts if possible (too much shaking)

Last edited by Pontiac_40; 05-30-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:51 AM
SJN

Yep, I think you got it covered with te 5 improvements.
I would weigh a muffler, and better balancing for less vibration if possible, highest on the list.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Pontiac_40

Response From NGH in regards to customer feedback:

Dear Zawar,

Thank you for your message.

We would like to share the experiencewith NGH GF38 engine and happiness with you.

If you can provide some good experience,we will improve.

We will accompany you continuousdevelopment and powerful.

Thank you.

Have a nice day

Sincerely

Nancy
Old 05-30-2014, 10:07 AM
Pontiac_40

Originally Posted by SJN
Yep, I think you got it covered with te 5 improvements.
I would weigh a muffler, and better balancing for less vibration if possible, highest on the list.
How about this SJN, feel free to add edit etc.

1. Better balancing on crankshaft and other parts if possible (too much shaking)
  2. Include a silencer/muffler
  3. Rocker and valve assembly needs to be sturdier (while adjusting valve clearances the whole assembly pivots) and reduce play in the rocker arms.
  4. Carb manifold assembly anchoring should be better.
  5. Timing degree marks on the hub
Old 05-30-2014, 01:10 PM
ALFIEV

Perhaps some thought and committment towards supply of spare parts. I know the theory is that their engine should go just fine for hours and hours, but perhaps some show of committment to supplying all spares would go some way towards allaying fears and encouraging purchase of this engine. I mean here are the existing options:

1. Himodel - nothing doing, parts freeze for some unspecified reason

2. Justengines - good service, carry most parts but not all, they can supply a muffler but it is sold with the engine, and expensive, especially for those outside of the UK who have to pay the freight and parts cost exacerbated by currency conversion.

3. AMR - good service, unsure of their committment to supplying spares, the spares I have heard them supplying have been to rectify faulty components on engines purchased there.

4. Hobbyking - don't carry all of the spares, good price, don't seem interested in maintaining a constant supply of spares or widening the range of spares.

These are the only spares distributors I know of. There may be others.

Wouldn't it be cool if NGH committed to supplying all spares through a reliable, affordable distribution chain?

Alf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.