Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NGH 38CC 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 12:35 PM
timmybeetle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I recently bought a plane with this motor in it.
Only mine runs only to 6000rpm with a 18 X 10 3 blade Mjezlik, with a menz 18 x10 I got 6400 rpm.
With a Menz 21 x 8 I only reach 5500 rpm, static trust around 6 kg.
Adjust timing and tried all settings of H and L needle but can get more rpm out of it.
My plane weight is around 8-9 kg, and with this setup I need a long run to get airborn, need more trust?
Also I tested with muffler build by former owner and with just a little exhaust pipe, but no divirence there!

grts Hans

Last edited by timmybeetle; 05-18-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by timmybeetle
Hi,
I recently bought a plane with this motor in it.
Only mine runs only to 6000rpm with a 18 X 10 3 blade Mjezlik, with a menz 18 x10 I got 6400 rpm.
With a Menz 19 x 8 I only reach 5500 rpm, static trust around 6 kg.
Adjust timing and tried all settings of H and L needle but can get more rpm out of it.
My plane weight is around 8-9 kg, and with this setup I need a long run to get airborn, need more trust?
Also I tested with muffler build by former owner and with just a little exhaust pipe, but no divirence there!
grts Hans
That's a lot of airplane for a 38cc 4-stroke. Hope it has a lot of wing area.
Have you adjusted the valves? Might make a difference. What fuel/oil mix are you using? Got a good quality plug in it?
See how it flies with a 18X8x2
CR

Last edited by Charley; 05-17-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:56 AM
timmybeetle

Wink Ngh 38 rpm

Originally Posted by Charley
That's a lot of airplane for a 38cc 4-stroke. Hope it has a lot of wing area.
Have you adjusted the valves? Might make a difference. What fuel/oil mix are you using? Got a good quality plug in it?
See how it flies with a 18X8x2
CR
Hi,
Offcourse I checked valves clearance, first thing you do.
We have euro 95 and I use synt. oil 1:50.
I have a NGK plug in it.
I will try my 18 x10 prop for flying, with a 19 x 8 I tested but that prop was not good.
Better will be a 18 X12 but I ordered me on, so will see when it arrives!
thanks for help, grts Hans
Old 05-18-2018, 05:16 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

You need more oil. Should be 35 to 1 mix, a 50 to 1 is too light on the oil and can cause damage. I personally use 32:1, more oil won't hurt it. At least it isn't like the Saito though at 20 to 1.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:27 AM
timmybeetle

Question oil mixture

Originally Posted by acdii
You need more oil. Should be 35 to 1 mix, a 50 to 1 is too light on the oil and can cause damage. I personally use 32:1, more oil won't hurt it. At least it isn't like the Saito though at 20 to 1.
Hello

Strange manual (swiss) say's 1:50 oil mixture, i checked other vendors and they say indeed 1:35.
Ok I will add some oil and see what it does.

thanks grts Hans
Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 AM
acdii

On the 3 blade, reduce it down a size to a 17. The engine is rated for 2 blade at the 18x10 size, so try a 17 x 8 and see if it is any better.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:57 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by DoctorG
Hi Guys Been a long time since I posted here and for some reason I got a notification about the last post so thought I'd update with my experience with this engine. The last post I put up it was fitted to a large (80" wingspan) Ugly Stik as a test bed. That went so well I transferred to the 1/4 scale Stampe SV4 biplane I originally bought it for. I made a custom exhaust/muffler as shown to keep it all in the cowl. I had to add baffles at the front to get enough air over the fins to keep it sweet and it has now been flying for two seasons. Its not a model I fly frequently (needs the right weather) but the engine has never missed a beat or failed to start. Recently took it out after the winter lay off and it fired up immediately. Its not that powerful but is a good fit to the Stampe, and it sounds really good. Anyway I have posted some pics of the engine installation and the finished model.
How did the Stampe perform with this engine? I suppose you've flown it since the above post. Got any RPM and prop figures? My engine is in the mail so I need to look through my big props.

CR
Old 05-18-2018, 05:34 PM
jet62011@hotmailcom

Default Muffler

Originally Posted by MKnutson
Sonnich,
Your engine will get better with more time. Mine is running pretty good now that it has about 1.5 hours on it. This engine is a fuel miser, you can use a real small tank in the plane. Mine now will run about 30-45 min. on 6oz. at very fast idle and full throttle runs. It also runs much smoother on less oil in the fuel...28-1.
I'm thinking about getting a Saito 220/fg36 muffler to put on mine, it's a little too loud for our field with a straight pipe only.
Still haven't got an answer from Michael about parts yet. So far there doesn't seem to be very many of us running/flying these engines yet. There MIGHT be an issue with the aluminum header stress cracking at the flange.....just thinking.

Mark.
Try RC specialties for a muffler for your NGH 38 four stroke
Old 05-19-2018, 06:23 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by jet62011@hotmailcom
Try RC specialties for a muffler for your NGH 38 four stroke
They show one for the 30cc but not the 38cc. Sent them an inquiry.
CR
Old 05-19-2018, 06:39 AM
jet62011@hotmailcom

Default NGH 38 four stroke

CR
Call agape racing and hobby and tak to Jim I by my NGH motors from him and he is vary nice number is 804-723-9910 good luck Gary
Old 05-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by jet62011@hotmailcom
Call agape racing and hobby and tak to Jim I by my NGH motors from him and he is vary nice number is 804-723-9910 good luck Gary
That's who I ordered my engine from. I've seen some other mufflers via a google search.
Thanks,
CR
Old 05-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Charley

CR
I received an email from RC Spec. They said no muffler for the 38cc because the exhaust port is not threaded. They tried an adapter but they judged it too thin walled to be threaded for a pipe.

CR
Old 05-21-2018, 10:55 AM
DaveHickey

Just engines in GB has a nice adaptor pipe and muffler for the the 38, or at least did last summer when I ordered mine. D.H.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GF38-knuckle.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	2260520

Last edited by DaveHickey; 05-21-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Charley

Originally Posted by DaveHickey
Just engines in GB has a nice adaptor pipe and muffler for the the 38, or at least did last summer when I ordered mine. D.H.

Attachment 2260520
Dave,
Did your adapter come threaded for the header? I ordered what looks to be the same setup from Hobby King but the photo shows a smooth surface on the inside of the adapter. I figured I'd dig up a tap and thread the adapter myself. I think I read somewhere that the thread is 14 X .75 mm.

CR
Old 05-21-2018, 02:36 PM
Charley

Default Rec'd my Engine & a Surprise

Received my engine last Saturday afternoon. It was double boxed, arrived undamaged. There was a surprise in the documentation, having to do with the gas : oil mix. There's a little sticker on the upper right hand corner of the page attached to this post. It says; break in 20 : 1, regular use 25 : 1. Also says to use synthetic 2 stroke oil. I guess that leaves out my Klotz Beanol.

Among the accessories included with the engine are two Allen wrenches and a 0.1mm feeler gauge for setting the valve lash. I'll check that before I run the engine.

My immediate task it to hunt up one of my test stands. Been raining off and on today, so no rush.

CRImages

View all Images in thread
Old 05-23-2018, 03:25 PM
Charley

Received my engine last Saturday afternoon. It was double boxed, arrived undamaged. There was a surprise in the documentation, having to do with the gas : oil mix. There's a little sticker on the upper right hand corner of the page attached to this post. It says; break in 20 : 1, regular use 25 : 1. Also says to use synthetic 2 stroke oil. I guess that leaves out my Klotz Beanol.

Among the accessories included with the engine are two Allen wrenches and a 0.1mm feeler gauge for setting the valve lash. I'll check that before I run the engine.

My immediate task it to hunt up one of my test stands. Been raining off and on today, so no rush.

CRImages

View all Images in thread
Turns out that the sticker referenced above came from Agape Racing & Hobby, from whom I bought my engine. Jim, the proprietor of Agape, provided the sticker and a two page tip document on how to get the best performance and longevity out of NGH engines, based on his experience with them. Jim says that after a user is certain that his engine is broken in, the factory 35:1 mix can be used. I'm going to follow his instructions.

CR
Old 05-24-2018, 04:36 AM
acdii

I tend to agree with them on the oil mix. When I got my first gas 4 stroke, a Saito FG-11, the mix is 20:1. At that ratio I saw no residue, so I went to 16:1, then saw some oil out the breather. I don't see the NGH being any different, it's not like the 2 strokes where the oil/gas meets the bearings directly on each stroke, but gets to them via blowby. Once I am satisfied that the entire engine is well lubed during break in I then start decreasing the oil content. As long as I can see some oil in the breather still I am content with the mix.

Haven't run either of mine yet, but will as soon as I get a stand build.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:43 AM
mchandrayan

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The Saitos petrol engines are different. They do not have ball raced conrods like most other petrol engines and hence require higher percentage of of lubricant in the fuel. NGH comes with ballraced conrods.
However I do agree that some extra oil during initial running is likely to benefit.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:46 AM
mchandrayan

Originally Posted by DoctorG

Simple box section steel exhaust to fit in the Stampe cowl. Silver soldered and painted to hold it togeather.

Stampe SV4B - 1/4 scale at the field

Hi Guys Been a long time since I posted here and for some reason I got a notification about the last post so thought I'd update with my experience with this engine. The last post I put up it was fitted to a large (80" wingspan) Ugly Stik as a test bed. That went so well I transferred to the 1/4 scale Stampe SV4 biplane I originally bought it for. I made a custom exhaust/muffler as shown to keep it all in the cowl. I had to add baffles at the front to get enough air over the fins to keep it sweet and it has now been flying for two seasons. Its not a model I fly frequently (needs the right weather) but the engine has never missed a beat or failed to start. Recently took it out after the winter lay off and it fired up immediately. Its not that powerful but is a good fit to the Stampe, and it sounds really good. Anyway I have posted some pics of the engine installation and the finished model.
Lovely looking Stampe Doc. Precedent kit I assume?
What's the covering?
Old 05-24-2018, 05:53 AM
jet62011@hotmailcom

Default muffler

Originally Posted by mchandrayan
Lovely looking Stampe Doc. Precedent kit I assume?
What's the covering?
How dose the solider hold up to the heat I want to fab up muffler and not sure Thanks for any info Gary
Old 05-24-2018, 06:12 AM
mchandrayan

Silver solder (and I do not mean StaBrite kind of silver solder) will hold the muffler together without any problems. Ordinary electrical solder will melt. I have seen that happen.
Have not used or seen the StaBrite type of silver bearing solder used in this application so not very certain of results one might get using that
Old 05-24-2018, 06:27 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by acdii
I tend to agree with them on the oil mix. When I got my first gas 4 stroke, a Saito FG-11, the mix is 20:1. At that ratio I saw no residue, so I went to 16:1, then saw some oil out the breather. I don't see the NGH being any different, it's not like the 2 strokes where the oil/gas meets the bearings directly on each stroke, but gets to them via blowby. Once I am satisfied that the entire engine is well lubed during break in I then start decreasing the oil content. As long as I can see some oil in the breather still I am content with the mix.

Haven't run either of mine yet, but will as soon as I get a stand build.
Quite a few years ago I ran a Saito 1.50 HC 4 stroke on gas with a 16% oil mix. AIR, I used Klotz Super Techniplate oil, which is 20% castor. I know that's a lot of oil but the Saito has a bushed rod. I'm running that engine on glow now but it runs better on CDI.

What with all the controversy about cams & lifters I agree that a little more oil in the mix is good insurance. I don't know what brand oil you're using but Jim at Agape has some favorites, among which is Amsoil Dominator. I found it at my local Carquest so I picked up a quart ($$). I found a couple of the others locally later on.

I have an engine stand coming, also a muffler. When I get all this stuff together I'll run the thing.

CR
Old 05-25-2018, 06:20 AM
timmybeetle

NGH 38

Test update:
Today I tested APC 18X10 on my NGH38, sadly not performance I had hoped for.
RPM 6400-6500 and static trust 5Kg, on datasheet from apc they give this information also.
Put my 18X10 3 blade back rpm 6000 and static trust 5,5Kg.
I will leave it this way, it's to expensive for me to buy all kind of props for testing and get more Satic trust out of it.
Maybe I will test it one day without muffler and just a exhaust pipe.

grts Hans
Old 05-26-2018, 02:19 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by timmybeetle
NGH 38

Test update:
Today I tested APC 18X10 on my NGH38, sadly not performance I had hoped for.
RPM 6400-6500 and static trust 5Kg, on datasheet from apc they give this information also.
Put my 18X10 3 blade back rpm 6000 and static trust 5,5Kg.
I will leave it this way, it's to expensive for me to buy all kind of props for testing and get more Satic trust out of it.
Maybe I will test it one day without muffler and just a exhaust pipe.

grts Hans
Didn't know you had a muffler on it. It makes sense that it would have one though. Makes one wonder how much restriction it presents to the exhaust flow. My Hobby King muffler was delivered yesterday. I can see through it from end to end but the inside tube is smaller than the inlet opening. I'm near to being ready to start breaking my engine in. I'm going to use the exhaust pipe that came with it but I'll put on the muffler at the end of the break in period and compare the RPM readings. I'll let you know the numbers.

CR
Old 05-26-2018, 03:21 AM
Charley

Default Break In Prep

Got my new (to me) all metal engine test stand in the mail yesterday. Got it mounted on a board and clamped in my Workmate. So I mounted the GF-38 on the stand, put a prop on it and turned it through. It felt very dry. Squirted some of oil in the cylinder to lube the piston & rings. Put the plug in it and turned it through again. It had no compression. I was going to check the valve lash and and oil the top end anyway so off came the valve cover. There was no clearance at all between the intake valve & its rocker arm! I suspect the intake valve wasn't closing fully, which explains the lack of compression. After setting the valve lash with the feeler gauge
(~ 0.1mm) that came with the engine , it had compression, yippee! So I squirted some oil on the rockers, valves & down the pushrod tubes, then reinstalled the valve cover. I know NGH claims they they test run every engine before it's shipped but now I have my doubts; at least on this particular engine.

With more pre-oiling in mind I took the engine back off the stand , laid it on its side, removed the cam cover and dribbled some oil on the cam & lifters, then buttoned it back up. Put it back on the test stand and flipped it through. Pretty good pop now. I still need to make up a fuel tank and find a suitable battery for the ignition. Making progress . Hopefully I'll be able to run it today.

CR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.