Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Zenoah G-23 - spitting black stuff still

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Zenoah G-23 - spitting black stuff still

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM
sgtshultz
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G-23 - spitting black stuff still

OK... I have had this engine for some time now. Runs good. but still spits black stuff down the side of the plane. I was told it would stop once it got broken in. It's been multiple gallons now.

is there something else I can do to stop this?

Using Amsoil and premium gas.

thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah G-23 - spitting black stuff still

It is still breaking in .It will take more than a few gallons to break in, sometimes 5 to 10 gallons are needed .The break in will take longer if using amzoil vs a non synthetic or semi sythetic oil .
Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's exactly why I break in on a stand with standard non syntheticoil. Even then it sometimes takes upwards of two gallons to get it clean.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM
Ed

A non-synthetic oil permits you to break in faster because it's an inferior oil, and the parts wear in faster. You speed up WEAR !

Why is everyone in such a hurry to wear out their engine ? []
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM
acerc

That's kinda the point is it not?
All I know is on the couple of scale, cloth covered planes, I have I do not (repeat) do not want all that crud soaking into the covering.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe so they can rush out and buy another 'NEWEST' engine
Old 11-16-2012, 01:00 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never really worried about it. My gas engines tend to have a little dark oil residue left on the plane after flying. I just wash and wipe it off, no big deal. I am used to the old super messy glow engines leaving oil residue everywhere so the gas engines are amazingly clean in comparison, but there is still some residue to wipe off here and there.

But I do  remember a few guys going with 50:1 and even 100;1 oil ratios so that they wouldn't have to clean their planes much if any. Unfortunately it usually causes the engine to wear out faster on them.  I believe in that if you have some oil residue outside the plane, then you know you have a adequate amount of oil to lubricate it with on the inside of the engine. No oil residue is cause for concern.

So I just live with it, it is not a big deal. But one could go with a electric motor instead if they really want to have a clean plane after flying.  I think that the bigger gas engines tend to burn more of the oil inside so there is less residue outside, but even they still have some residue get deposited on the plane.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't forget oil that is contained in the exhaust is also removing heat from the engine!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Ed

" All I know is on the couple of scale, cloth covered planes, I have I do not (repeat) do not want all that crud soaking into the covering. "

You have the magic liquid necessary to clean the Crud off right at hand. It's the gas in your can. Put a little on a rag, wipe, and it's gone.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 PM
acerc

Well, I guess the way I have been doing it for years is not correct for some of you guy's. But it work's great for me. So I'll keep doing it.
And I will still offer my way as an opinion to question's like this one. There is no, my way or the highway here, it's just another opinion.
Don't like it oh well.
I will say I have not had to replace an engine in the 30+ years I've been doing this.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can understand your concern with oil getting on a cloth covered plane. But many years ago I flew some silkspan and dope covered planes using messy glow engines and for some odd reason I don't remember it being a problem. I even flew a couple of planes using Coverite cloth coverving too. But yeah in your case I can see trying to keep the cloth covered planes more clean. I just don't see any practical way of doing it, unless you do cut back on the oil to just enough to not spew as much oil out the exhaust.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM
acerc

Earl as stated before I break them in on the stand with regular oil. Then I switch to synthetic @ 40-1. It takes a full day of flying to produce enough oil on the plane to warrant a wipe down. And as stated by another a little dab of the fuel on a wrag will clean it easily. My point was simply to break in off the plane to avoid the severe oil as in that photo. That photo was only ten minutes of standard oil. A gallon later it was ready for syn. I know my way is not the only way but it really urks me when someone want's to bash an opinion. And that is all it is, my opinion.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:34 PM
acerc

And while were at it lets throw Frank Bowman in here. He arguably makes the best rings for these engines. And he recommends break-in to be done with regular standard 2 cycle oil. After break-in one can go to synthetic.
  So I can't be doin to awfully bad.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Some of you engine "experts" seem to forget what break in is all about. It is all about the assembled parts wearing in to one another. Breaking in an engine on non-synthetic oil is the way to go, synthetic oil doesn't let the ring seat fast enough to get a good seal, and you end up with ring blow-by. I have been building Harley-Davidson engines for lots and lots of years, the best oil to run in a H-D engine after a rebuild is straight 50 weight mineral oil for the first 100 miles. You want that ring to seat quick!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:18 AM
acerc

Well said!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get some rubber/silicone  heat hose and extend the pipes a bit to keep it off the plane until the engine finishes breaking in.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:22 AM
wildbills21

acerc,

Hows that CRRC engine run in the above photo, interested in purchasing one, not a whole lot of info out yet on them

Wild Bill
Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM
acerc

WB, That is the second one and it run's great. It got even better with Frank Bowman ring's. In the process of puting his ring's in all my engine's.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 PM
wildbills21

acerc,

Thanks for the input, going to purchase the 55 twin for a 1/3 BUSA Ercoupe.

Wild Bill
Old 11-17-2012, 12:05 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: acerc

WB, That is the second one and it run's great. It got even better with Frank Bowman ring's. In the process of puting his ring's in all my engine's.
Now there is a good Idea...Frank,s Piston rings. I bet in that twin runs good with that upgrade ! Capt,n
Old 11-17-2012, 01:07 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sgtshultz

OK... I have had this engine for some time now. Runs good. but still spits black stuff down the side of the plane. I was told it would stop once it got broken in. It's been multiple gallons now.

is there something else I can do to stop this?

Using Amsoil and premium gas.

thanks
There have been some good pointers posted there already but one very common reason for a lot of excessive residue is overly rich tuning.
Have you peak tuned the engine?
Rich low end (especially) causes a lot of unburnt oil to spit out through the exhaust as black residue
Old 11-18-2012, 02:44 AM
dadragon

I have three engines that will be getting Bowman rings,Quadra 65,SV100 twin,and a G-23.I dont mind the black cause it is getting rid of alot of heat like someone said earlier.I use PENS AIR COOLED,and I stay with it at 40:1.