Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

NGH 9cc user reports wanted

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGH 9cc user reports wanted

I want to buy one. I am an engine guy so some fiddling around is OK. I see they are in stock and ready to ship at multiple vendors. How are they working out?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: NGH 9cc user reports wanted

I have three planes equipped with the 9cc gas engines. The first one I setup was in a Great Planes Big Stick .40, then one is in an Escapade .40, The third one is in  a .45 size low wing pattern plane (old classic style). The planes all fly just fine with the engines. The engine has about the same power as a .40 to .45 glow engine. The engines are not as powerful as a similar sized glow engine. If you want lots of power these engines are probably not what you are looking for. The engines though may or may not be plug and play for a user. You might have to do some mods to the pump/regulator unit. It depends. I am thinking about fielding a twin engine plane next with a pair of the 9cc engines.

Now with the Ugly Stick I did modify the engine to use as small bore Walbro carb instead of the OEM carb and pump regulator. But this is a on going experiment. The engine does work well with the Walbro carb. You'll have to make a carb adapter to use a carb like I did on it. Plus you'll need a Fox prop extender for the front of the engine so the carb will clear the prop.

The OEm pump/regulator does use standard Walbro rebuild kits so that is not a problem.

There are a couple or three of threads out there already about the engines and what to do to mod the pump/regulator, so I won't repeat it again here.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:39 PM
jerdavis
My Feedback: (3)

The info in this thread is http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10693112/tm.htm. The last page is pretty much my experience. It has fuel draw problems at full throttle which I solved by replacing the pump diaphram and cutting some coils off of the regulator spring, readjusting the lever and replacing the diaphragm of the regulator.

Still can't get the idle low and reliable enough. It seems to be either poor fuel draw or oil fouling of the plug. Gonna try cutting more off of the regulator spring and going to 25:1 oil ratio.

High speed needle valve setting is very sensitive. 3 clicks between too lean and too rich.

After struggling with "dirt" in the needle valve (my fault) and learning how to read and set the mixture, I got three good flights in a row yesterday. A good flight meaning 10+ minutes, touch and goes, and a taxi back.

The power seems to be about that of a modest .40.

So far I'm enjoying the challenge of setting it up to be a reliable sport engine.

Jerry
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
earlwb

I wrote up some of my techniques in this thread here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11263347/tm.htm

Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am considering one of these too and did read-up on it. Yes it seems there are minor issues but once you rebuild the carb,regulator and either move or isolate the regulator most of the problems are solved.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:53 AM
earlwb

Here is a short video of me flying the little NGH 9cc engine on my low wing sport pattern plane as depicted above. I did some low passes so I could use a Doppler shift program to gauge its air speed. I measured about 58 mph at the time. But in hindsight the RC Speedo App on my iPhone may be in error, some others like me feel it was going faster maybe around 80mph. I'll have to repeat the speed runs later.

http://youtu.be/bii2_r-OHN4

Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 AM
afilho
My Feedback: (68)

Guys, i think i need to share my modifications.....its really easy.

All i did was....

1 - Trash the pump(not really just dont use it).
2 - Plug the crankcase fitting(fuel tubing and a plug).
3 - Install a pressure line from the muffler to the gas tank with a one-way valve to keep pressure in the tank(just like glow engine)(i've used a perry one -way check valve).
4 - Tune your engine, its going to run really nice and idle excellent. NO MORE AIR BUBLES IN THE GAS LINE. AND PUMP TO MESS WITH.

I've pictures if you want to see just send me your email address in a pm or here. thanks guys. ran two tanks without any problem.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 AM
afilho
My Feedback: (68)

i did those changes after spending almost two days trying to fight with the pump and engine to make it run. i was thinking abotu buying the metering spring, pump walbro rebuild kit etc etc etc. and i saw some videos on youtube that the guys was runing it without the pump and one of the videos there is not even a fitting in the crankcase. check the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnPbxfvq8v4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=vzU-VI5RcSE

Old 11-30-2012, 05:24 AM
Kentli22