New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Spridal
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

You got the Meridian and 10cc engine one day and maidened it the next? Looking at those pics of the engine, the smaller 1/4" spark plug looks just right.
No,
I picked them up for my LHS Monday morning and began building late Monday afternoon. It took me about 12 hours to complete.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:16 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

iam 80 have 2 other gas engines also have a plane for your gas engine send me one to test for you ill be glad to >> just kidding >> but would like to hear more reports on this > as i has 2 others of the nitros very good engines allen
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 AM
Spridal

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

The black 'goo' will be reduced as the engine breaks in. I buy the Pre-moistened wipes that Clorox sells as a disinfectant for your kitchen or bath. It works well in cleaning the grime off your airplanes either gas or glow and so far I haven't found any finish it would damage. Very convenient and no need for a spray bottle at the field anymore.

We made some notes in the engine manual regarding the muffler mounting bolts and the long bolt in the muffler tube. The muffler mounting bolts can be tightened down after the first flight and they will hold very well. The long muffler body bolt needs to be tightened after each flight for the first three times. After this it too will stay tight. Do this by loosening the lock nut, tighten the bolt from the front and then retighten the lock nut.

Pete

Thanks Pete,
I'm headed to the field in about an hour and will tighten the muffler after each flight as suggested.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 AM
jonkara

With electronic ignition, 1/4" spark plug, and carb, could we not convert any 46 size engine running 20:1 mix?
Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Besides the change of adding a needle bearing to the big end on the connecting rod, I wonder if timing would need to be changed as well as compression...

I have seen kits for the moki engines and Super Tigres but they are all larger.

Bill S.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have read and experienced in the past,the issue with converting glow to gas is having a good needle bearing on the lower end as opposed to bushings and the carb has also been a point of concern with these smaller engines as well. Some engines out there now have tried converted glow carbs to run gas and others tried to use walbro type carbs . Some needed external pumps and much tweaking to run right plus the size of a regular ignition module was always a concern for mounting.  Hopefully this one has some of those carb issues addressed as it does have a needle bearing lower end .
 I hope to have mine completed over the weekend and I will be breaking-in the engine on the bench using dino oil for 3 or four tanks then take it in the aire and continue the break-in process although I may have to put skis or floats on it  with the new snow coming in. Being an abc engine I'm sure it is going to take a long time to properly wear-in.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM
jonkara

Does this engine have needle bearing on connecting rod? Why such a rich mix? 20:1. Hope it performs well. I would love to fly a gass set up.... Would like to compare with glow .....
Old 12-27-2012, 08:30 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

The smaller the engine the more oil it takes. Something to do with the amount of oil getting to the cylinder. Smaller engines use less fuel and need more oil in the smaller amount of liquid for proper lubing. Also try Krud Kutter for cleaning. I can watch the oil rise up, bead up, and start to run off the plane before I even start wiping. Amazing stuff. Doesn't hurt the covering. Available in the paint department of Walmart and the home improvement stores.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jonkara
Does this engine have needle bearing on connecting rod? Why such a rich mix? 20:1. Hope it performs well. I would love to fly a gass set up.... Would like to compare with glow .....
As already mentioned the smaller the engine displacement the more oil it needs for lubrication. This is the fuel to oil ratio of course. The late great Mr Duke Fox of Fox manufacturing had it all worked out with formulas too.

But the little 10cc engine has only just come onto the market. They are being cautious and conservative on the oil to fuel ratio. We really don't have any other small gasoline engines to compare to for determining what might be a good oil to fuel ratio to use. There is only the 9cc NGH engine that uses a bushed rod to compare to at this time and it uses a 25:1 or 20:1 after a good break in. Anyway over time it may be decided that less oil up to a certain point would work OK.

Now granted with the needle bearing connecting rod, the engine may be able to handle less oil OK. But we don't really know what such a small size cylinder and piston may do with reduced oil content fuel. Many poeple will be using the engines and we do not really know what kind of oil they'll use or how they'll use the engines either for that matter. A engine flying at WOT for the entire flight needs more oil than a engine that only loafs around at 1/2 throttle or less. A tightly cowled engine would need more oil than a engine that has ducting and is cooled well.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM
jonkara

After reading earlier post, and looking at engine diagram, it appears this engine does not have needle bearing on rod. It has rod bushing. This should work fine at 20:1 . DLE20 uses bushing as well.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Actually, its been stated in post #60 that the engine has been changed from a bushing to a needle bearing on the big end.

"There is a needle bearing on the bottom end of the rod and a bushing on the top end. We are continuing to do oil content testing for wear and longevity but for now we are sticking with the 20:1 recommendation. I expect we will be able to recommend either 25:1 or 32:1 in the future but as of right now we have no long term data to stand behind that.

Pete "

Bill S.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:48 AM
jonkara

Got it. Thanks. That is a good improvement... They need to update manual. Sounds like a great engine so far... Let see what people think of it's power...
Old 12-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Spridal

I broke-in the engine by tuning for good transition on the ground. I then followed the manual to the letter by using 20:1 redline. I flew two full tanks with a 10x6 then two tanks with a 11x6. Both these props screemed but I continued as per the manual. After those flights I switched to a 13x6 (per the Meridian manual). The engine is still rich but I'm getting around 11000 rpms steady on that prop.

So far the engine has been reliable and I suffered no dead sticks or hard starts. Towards the end of the day I noticed it was easy to flip start the engine just like my larger gas planes. As for the power, it flies the Meridain with a 70" wing with ease. I plan to run two more tanks before I start leaning her out. As for fuel consumption I was able to get 10 full tanks with about 15 minutes of flight time out of a half gallon of gas. I can only imagine how much more run time I will get once she's broke in. So far I am very pleased with the engine. She idles nicely, has good transitions and is fairly easy to tune. If you follow the manual you should not have any problems.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:12 PM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

I have my engine installed and ready to test fly. I was happy to see the telemetry pickup for the tach was included with the engine so I can read the RPM's right from my DX8 transmitter. I also installed the engine temperature sensor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51056.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1834108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt59813.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1834109  
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Mine has been ready to go, but I am fearful of breaking it in the 25 degree weather. It is an ABC engine.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I'll be starting mine this weekend. Won't have to worry much of it overheating on the bench with the cold weather !
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM
jspauld2

I wouldn't worry too much about the cold weather and the engine. The last time we broke one of the engines in it was in the 30s. The engine will be fine in the cold. It's your hands that are in danger ;-)

Jimmy

Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 PM
texasclouds

Thanks for the reports guys, I'm anxious to pickup one of these engines myself. Possibly a meridian as well...

its been too windy/rainy/cold around here the past two weeks. I haven't flown at all.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Ernie Misner

That Meridian is a nice looking plane. Somewhat like the great flying Pulse but a bit more sleek.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Mikola

After reading earlier post, and looking at engine diagram, it appears this engine does not have needle bearing on rod. It has rod bushing.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=156

DLE20 uses bushing as well.
http://www3.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...I=DLEG2017&P=1

Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The DLE-20 has needle bearings on the rod big end at the crank pin and at the wrist pin.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the included RPM sensor work with most radios equipped with telemetry?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 AM
jspauld2

I cannot say for sure whether or not our sensor will work on other systems. We have tested it on a TM1000 unit and DX8 and DX18 radio systems. It was designed to work on our Spektrum systems and that's all we have tested it with. If you have a specific system in mind, maybe it would be best to ask their customer support for compatibility.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I think I have seen enough so far. This is great news, and I plan to get one of these as well. I will be installing it in an old Sun Fli 5 pattern plane. I like to have a fairly fast, powerful sport aircraft in my fleet to keep my thumbs sharp for my primary interest, giant scale warbirds. Now I can use pump gas for everything. Great news on the release of this engine and it's performance so far.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Mikola

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.