Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

[
    ORIGINAL: nalby

How many mah will the ign use? If I wanted to use an a123 1100 to power the plane and ign, with say 4-3010 servos and a Tech-Aero Ibec in a super sporster 60. how many 10 min flights would I get? Just trying to figure this out and keep the plane as light as possible.
    I haven’t calculated the ignition battery drain, but on my 40 size plane, I’m used a 2100 mAh LiFe w/Tech Aero IBEC, Spektrum 8 ch RX, TM1000 Tlm module, and 4 digital Hitec 5485 servos and 1 analog 485 throttle servo. After ~60 mins of flying (6, 10 min flights), I use between 550-700 mAh. On the Meridian, I used the same setup, but with 7 digital servos and used 400 mAh for 30 mins flying. I didn’t keep track of my pit time.

Dave
    [/quote]

That's what I wanted to hear. Thank You I usually only get 4 flights per plane when I go to the field. ( take like 3-6 planes ) so I should be good.
    [/quote]

The Max battery drain on the ignition is 455mah at WOT (roughly 13,000 rpm). Typical throttle management, TO's and landings will net you about 325mah per hour on the ignition. Each airplane is different as to the servo choices, etc so you'll have to add the radio system amp draw to these numbers.

Pete

Pete Bergstrom
    Saito, Evolution & Zenoah Manager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I broke the engine in on the ground in the plane and ran 12 tanks through it with an average run of about 25 minutes/tank. On the ignition there is a 2 cell lipo and it was down to 30% (about 3.78v/cell) at the end starting out fully charged(4.2v/cell) and it was about 20 degrees outside.
    The receiver battery was just operating the throttle so I can't be of much help there. It is a 5 cell NiMh and at the end it was at 6.5 volts starting out at 7.1volts.
    If I ever get the muffler manifold extension(Thanks Horizon !) I'll be able to flt it !
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FlatSpin,
    This maybe a redundent question, you are using a Tech Aero IBEC? If so how is it working with this engine. I have this same IBEC and am thnking of using it on my Evo. Thanks, Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67DXBCPbpk

Youtube video for the Meridian is now online, which was shot entirely with the 10GX engine.
    David Eichstedt, Horizon Hobby
    Product Development - Hangar 9, E-flite, Blade, ParkZone, HobbyZone, Evolution, ZP, etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave,
    Thanks for the video, this is a great size for many who want a gasoline airplane at a great price. I know that I'm down sizing to 20cc and now 10cc. Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just saw the video, and was interested to see what the airframe looked like after a flight. I got a screen capture and came here to announce the video was up but I got beat to it by Dave!

Anyway, we can all look forward to the engines black goo really cleaning up its act after awhile!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge94364.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	1838265  
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BlackPowder

FlatSpin,
    This maybe a redundent question, you are using a Tech Aero IBEC? If so how is it working with this engine. I have this same IBEC and am thnking of using it on my Evo. Thanks, Jim.
    The Tech Aero IBEC works fine on any CD ignition set-up and any size engine. I had a small hand in its development so I know first hand; Ed Alt the designer and supplier (Mr Tech Aero) is a friend of mine.

It's likely the most tested device of its kind on the market. Ed and I used at least 10 different radios early in its development to checkrange lossdue RFI, and Ed used at least 10 more by himself when evaluating the IBEC's filtering and optical isolation.

I use the IBEC on 30-60cc gas engines, Ed uses it on his YS 4 strokes that are run on CDI. And many IMAC guys are running the unit on much larger engines. It's the same unit for all applications.

Another great thing about it is the weight (around 18 grams) which makes it a cinch for the 10cc or smaller powerplants. I set mine up to arm on the retract switch...very safe and convenient
    Regards,
    MattK
    (Rcmaster199@aol.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt,
    Thanks, I haven't used the Tech Aero brand, but I will use it in on my Evo, again thanks, Jim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Matt is right on! I really like the Tech Aero IBEC. Light weight, simple to use, and reliable. And I really like the super bright LED that can easily been seen in flight.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Unless you want to fly a lot without recharging the lighter 1300 LIFE battery from Tower (for example) wold be fine also.

Yes flatspin, anything further testing with the mac's muffler would be interesting. Seems like it should work at least as well as that Tower muffler on the guy's 9cc... ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Unless you want to fly a lot without recharging the lighter 1300 LIFE battery from Tower (for example) wold be fine also.

Yes flatspin, anything further testing with the mac's muffler would be interesting. Seems like it should work at least as well as that Tower muffler on the guy's 9cc... ?
    I agree. In fact, I'd acquired a 2100 mah LiFe for my build and a couple of days ago, ordered a 1400 mah thinking it better suited for my flying. I rarely fly more than three times and if doing so can charge at the field.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how important  is it to have these syncrized for a hanger 9 b-25 bomber

CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD #85

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chandley43231

how important is it to have these syncrized for a hanger 9 b-25 bomber
    You would want the engines to be in sync on any twin regardless if glow, gas, or elect. This engine can't run backwards(very well) so you can't have the counter-rotation added benefit and if one engine goes out you have to be quick on the stick to lower the throttle and bring it in.
    There is a product called the Twinn-sync that will automatically keep both engines at the same rpm and if one quits it will immediately reduce the throttle of the other to idle .

Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The important thing with twins is not keeping them in perfect synchronization, it's in keeping them both running. That's what's great about gas/petrol power - they are typically much more reliable than glow engines.
    David Eichstedt, Horizon Hobby
    Product Development - Hangar 9, E-flite, Blade, ParkZone, HobbyZone, Evolution, ZP, etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yea its this unit   https://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/WRCTWINSYNC.html check it out
    CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD #85

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No matter how reliable the engines are, "stuff" still happens. If you are always on your game you can quickly lower the throttle, regain control and slowly raise the throttle to bring it in. If not then that Twinsync unit can help you.
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Twin engine planes do not need to have their engines "synchronized". Adjust each engine to run good and reliable then go fly it. it'll work great and be very reliable. If one engine is weaker than the other, no big deal, it is just a little aileron trim, maybe a touch of rudder too. If you try to synchronize the engines up with each other, you wind up with one engine too lean and one engine too rich, a lousy combination.

If you do have a engine flame out in the air, cut throttle and land the airplane right away, treat it like a dead stick landing. Thus you'll never wind up crashing the plane. You aren't in the plane flying it yourself, so you really do not know which engine quit, nor do you have a feel for how much rudder to use to compensate either. If you try to fly it on one engine, it will usually snaproll on you then.
    '
    Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yippee! I've finished the Seagull Funfly3D fitted with the Evo 10cc and am quite happy with the build. The engine dropped right in without issues for an inverted installation. The build went without any surprises or problems. There is adequate space inside that nothing had to be shoe horned. The listed weight was 5.1 - 5.7 lbs and finished weight using the 10c was 5lbs 13 oz but that is with a 2100 mah battery and the plan is to drop back to a 1400 so should reduce weight by the one ounce over the published weight. And... it balances right on the prescribed point so no additional weight is needed.

If this thing flies as good as it went together, I'm happy. At 840 sq in (wing loading 15.7 oz sq ft) this airframe is only 40 sq in less than the Meridian but weighs thirty six ounces less than a full weight Meridian and just maybe will be in the unlimited vertical zone of the Evo 10cc. If my prediction of thrust of the Evo 10cc between 5.25 - 6.25 proves true, the Funfly3d is right in the middle so has a chance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like you made a good choice...cannot wait too hear how it handles. Best Regards, Capt,n
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Yippee! I've finished the Seagull Funfly3D fitted with the Evo 10cc and am quite happy with the build. The engine dropped right in without issues for an inverted installation. The build went without any surprises or problems. There is adequate space inside that nothing had to be shoe horned. The listed weight was 5.1 - 5.7 lbs and finished weight using the 10c was 5lbs 13 oz but that is with a 2100 mah battery and the plan is to drop back to a 1400 so should reduce weight by the one ounce over the published weight. And... it balances right on the prescribed point so no additional weight is needed.

If this thing flies as good as it went together, I'm happy. At 840 sq in (wing loading 15.7 oz sq ft) this airframe is only 40 sq in less than the Meridian but weighs thirty six ounces less than a full weight Meridian and just maybe will be in the unlimited vertical zone of the Evo 10cc. If my prediction of thrust of the Evo 10cc between 5.25 - 6.25 proves true, the Funfly3d is right in the middle so has a chance.

A fellow flier has this plane with a 4-stroke and the plane flies very well. I'm sure it will do well with this engine. May want to try the APC 12.25x3.75 prop on it.

Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some prop experimenting will be in order after the break in. Will try to locate the suggested 12.25 x 3.75 but I'm wondering if this engine indeed does have a wide power band that goes lower rpms than typical to glow, I'd like to keep rpms on the lower side to reduce noise. Did I recall one of HH guys commenting that after break in it, it could be loaded a bit heavier to reduce rpms while still making good power and not overheating?

I actually bought a 14x4 funfly prop with the expectation of shortening it to around a 13x4 if it loads too heavy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Some prop experimenting will be in order after the break in. Will try to locate the suggested 12.25 x 3.75 but I'm wondering if this engine indeed does have a wide power band that goes lower rpms than typical to glow, I'd like to keep rpms on the lower side to reduce noise. Did I recall one of HH guys commenting that after break in it, it could be loaded a bit heavier to reduce rpms while still making good power and not overheating?

I actually bought a 14x4 funfly prop with the expectation of shortening it to around a 13x4 if it loads too heavy.
    The engine will readily swing a 13 x 6 or a 13 x 8 prop after break-in. The 14 x 4 prop might be a viable option but i expect the rpms will be 8800-9200 which is a little bit on the low side with only 4" of pitch.

Pete

Pete Bergstrom
    Saito, Evolution & Zenoah Manager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete... thanks for the input.... around 9k would be super. Will be looking for low speed torque so we'll see how it goes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

a 12x5 may work........ Capt,n
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pete or anyone,
    I have always use wood props on my larger engines, but would an APC type prop be better for this size engine or does it matter? Jim

Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast