New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

ORIGINAL: BlackPowder

Pete or anyone,
I have always use wood props on my larger engines, but would an APC type prop be better for this size engine or does it matter? Jim
In this size range I doubt it will matter much. A woodie weighs around 1 ounce and the APC around 1 1/2. The APC is more efficient since it is designed to suppress noise for the same or more thrust. Any excess noise a prop generates robs power.

I use APC up to around 21" in diameter eventho they weigh twice what a woodie will weigh because they are very quiet and perform great. Larger than that usually means carbon. The large woodies I do play with almost always are either laminated or are modified (by me) by adding a carbon sock. Just as in the real world, a stiff one is a better one....YMMV
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Pete Bergstrom

I generally agree with Matt. Although the seemingly small weight difference between the APC and the wood does seems to equate to a more consistent and lower idle speed on the 10cc. Shameless plug...you guys might try some of our EVO props, they work pretty good.

Pete
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
BlackPowder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both, even though I have been flying for a long time there is always room to learn more. This is a really great forum. Jim
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Has/could this engine be used in a U-Control plane?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Pete Bergstrom

ORIGINAL: ROGER RUSSELL

We haven't done any testing with this in a U-control application. Having developed other UControl engines with this same platform I think the internal timing numbers are to extreme to make this a good usable engine choice in anything but a U-control scale application where you could use the throttle to control the running characteristics of the engine.

Pete

Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

THEY SAY THE NEW 10CC ENGINE WILL POWER ANY 46 TO 60 SIZE> LOOKS LIKE A 46 SIZE PLANE MIGHT BE TO MUCH FOR THAT ENGINE? I LOOKED AT THE 10CC TODAY AT THE HOBBY SHOP IT IS A 60 SIZE LOOKING ENGINE> NOT MADE TO GO IN A 46 SIZE PLANE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS ???
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, Hemet holds a yearly apple pie festival... visited once and pigged out. They do apple pie good..... Oh yeah, this is a forum on engines.

The folks at Horizon have suggested the performance of the Evo 10 is between a .46 and .60 and perhaps leans towards the .60 side. It is a drop in for a .46 mount.

Not sure what you were saying, that a .60 size plane is too much plane for the engine or that the engine is too much for a .46?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:49 PM
[email protected]

I THINK THE ENGINE IS TO MUCH FOR A 46 SIZE PLANE AND JUST MIGHT PULL A 60 SIZE PLANE??
Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 PM
[email protected]

DONT UNDERSTAND>> IS THE 10CC TO MUCH FOR A 46 SIZE PLANE AND IS OK FOR A 60 SIZE PLANE
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I THINK THE ENGINE IS TO MUCH FOR A 46 SIZE PLANE AND JUST MIGHT PULL A 60 SIZE PLANE??
The modern .45-.46 size planes are as big as the old .60 size planes from many years ago. I think the engine is best suited to the .40 through .50 size planes. But some modern .60 size planes would work. But it really depends on the plane's weight for flying. The glow engine, if at the same displacement, still holds a considerable power advantage over a gas engine. That is why you see equivalent gas engines being larger in displacement in comparison to the glow engine it is replacing.

For example with a .60 glow engine you need to go to at least 15cc gas engine or 17cc but most guys are going with a 20cc gas engine as it weighs the same as the 15cc and 17cc engines do anyway. So for a .40 to 50 size plane the Evo 10cc (a .61) would be about right. Most flyers like having some excess power, thus the Evo 10cc would work out nicely. The Evo 10cc engine is basically a gas verison of the Evo .60 NX which is a .60 displacement engine in a .46 size crankcase and it is a drop in replacement for many .45 through .56 size engines too, maybe even some .40 engines as well.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I think it will be determined by the weight and type of airframe regardless of category(46-60). The Meridian is coming in at 8 pounds. Now I remember reading where someone put this in a Escapade 61 and it didn't have enough power to suit him .
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM
AA5BY

Yeah but.... the Escapade .61 is actually a .61 - .95 size plane or 1.20 four stroke, which is roughly equivalent to a 20cc gas. No surprise that it didn't fly it well. In fact, kudos for getting it around the pattern and back down safely.

I think Earl has it right, that the Evo 10cc will likely fly the lighter loaded of the .60 size birds but is more appropriate for .46 - .55 size.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM
fly24-7

From what others are saying, it seems that a model at 7 pounds would be a happy midpoint depending on flying style. A 3D model would need to be lighter. A scale model could be a bit heavier. I think I'm going to give this engine a go in a pulse XT 40. I use to have this plane with an EVO 46. I'd expect this 10 CC to perform real well.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 AM
robc57

Well, last night i got home from work to find a parcel from Kings Lynn Models had been delivered - My First Petrol!
I thought I'd try it in my Black Horse 46 size Extra, that turned out to be a good choice. After unbolting the Magnum 91 4 stroke that was in it, and digging out some mounts that had once held an SC52 in a CMPro Cessna I found that the Evo bolted straight in, all I had to do was hook up the 'alternate' throttle link - this model is an old hand me down that's housed a variety of engines in the past. 1 hour's work:

comparing it with what came out:

I have to admit that the strange piece of wire with a loop in the end had me scratching my head at first, then I realised it's a needle extension.
So, question - what's the best thing to use inside the tank for teh flixible clunk connection- tygon? the Viton seems a bit stiff.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 AM
FlatSpin

Robc57,

The Viton tubing that came with the engine is fine for inside the tank. You're right, it does seem a bit stiff, but it works fine in an 8 oz. tank. I would be afraid to use it in anything smaller. In the 8 oz. setup, there wasn't much room for the clunk to move around, but I have not had any fuel delivery issues. My LHS sells a thinner walled, and more flexible Viton tubing, so I will try that in my next tank setup.

Dave
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 AM
robc57

Thanks Dave. I'm using a square 6oz , the style of tank that comes with these far eastern ARTFs so it is quite long and thin. The tank, ignition unit and an 1100mAHr LiFe cell all fit into the area previously occupied by the glow fuel tank
Having dived in and installed the motor, it will be the weekend before I get a chance to run it.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 AM
Pete Bergstrom

ORIGINAL: robc57

Thanks Dave. I'm using a square 6oz , the style of tank that comes with these far eastern ARTFs so it is quite long and thin. The tank, ignition unit and an 1100mAHr LiFe cell all fit into the area previously occupied by the glow fuel tank
Having dived in and installed the motor, it will be the weekend before I get a chance to run it.
A six ounce tank is about the smallest tank we have found to allow any movement of the clunk. The Viton tubing flexes more than enough inside the tank to pick up all the fuel. While Neoprene (NBR) might fell a bit softer and flexible we have found that it breaks down fairly quickly and tiny little pieces of the tubing. Please use the viton supplied.

Pete

PS - Tygon tubing is absolutely useless in these applications.

P

Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 AM
rmh

I have three Kadets - a Kadet Sr- a Kadet Seniorita and a Kadet Seniorita Electric ARF ( reworked a bit

Which one do you guys think would be the best fit for the little gasser?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56430.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1838835  
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: rmh

I have three Kadets - a Kadet Sr- a Kadet Seniorita and a Kadet Seniorita Electric ARF ( reworked a bit

Which one do you guys think would be the best fit for the little gasser?
My opinion may not even be worth 2 cents, but I vote for theKadet Sr. Mine has Saito .65 in it and is plenty. Sounds like the Evo should be stronger.
My SR does have airlerons.
I bet the SR would be real hoot with the EVO.

Ken

Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 AM
robc57

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom
A six ounce tank is about the smallest tank we have found to allow any movement of the clunk. The Viton tubing flexes more than enough inside the tank to pick up all the fuel. While Neoprene (NBR) might fell a bit softer and flexible we have found that it breaks down fairly quickly and tiny little pieces of the tubing. Please use the viton supplied.

Pete

P
so it may possibly be a problem for continuous inverted circuits with less than half a tank! I can live with that.
I'll have to look into re-plumbing my #2 mechanical pump for petrol as the pump tube in that is clear, though I don't think it's silicon based.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Pete Bergstrom

ORIGINAL: robc57

Pete

P
so it may possibly be a problem for continuous inverted circuits with less than half a tank! I can live with that.
I'll have to look into re-plumbing my #2 mechanical pump for petrol as the pump tube in that is clear, though I don't think it's silicon based.

It shouldnt have any problems with continuous inverted circuits. Make sure you stay well clear of the rear wall of the tank with the clunk and you shouldn't have any problems.

Pete

Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ROGER RUSSELL

We haven't done any testing with this in a U-control application. Having developed other UControl engines with this same platform I think the internal timing numbers are to extreme to make this a good usable engine choice in anything but a U-control scale application where you could use the throttle to control the running characteristics of the engine.

Pete

Thanks Pete:
Have an old U Control plane with GLOW on it and have nothing but gas engines now.
Wanted to try UC again but did not want to buy GLOW equipment for one plane.
Again Thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 08:42 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

The APC prop would be advantageous for your gas engine, as you can well imagine. The wooden prop could spare you an amputation, should you and the spinning propeller have an encounter.

Ed Cregger
Old 01-10-2013, 09:25 AM
earlwb

Rodger_Russell,    I think for control line that it may be useable. But I would suggest rigging up a way to control the throttle if you need to raise or lower the engine speed some. A simple fixed pushrod and clevis should do mthe trick. The engine may not have a 4-2-4 break when running, But yoiu may be able to simulate that by not using muffler pressure. With the engine running a little rich, then when it noses up it may lean out some giving a 4-2-4 break to it. But then maybe you don't fly using the two and four cycle break in some cases so it might be a moot point. It would make for some interesting experimenting though.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM
fly24-7

Pete B:

What are your thoughts on using this engine in a Pulse XT 60? Enough power?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.