Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 25 of 73 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

I went back and revisited the second video posted by Flyinwalenda where he runs a 11x6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFn3_...ature=youtu.be

or post 365

I didn't catch it when viewing it originally but is it the tuned muffler that is kicking the engine noticeably?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No he was running it very rich and the engine was mis firing a lot.

Pete
    Pete Bergstrom
    Saito, Evolution & Zenoah Manager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've put the first two tanks through my engine this afternoon, I was really pleased with how easily it started and how smoothly it ran once above an idle.  I was getting around 12 minutes from a 6oz tank, hopefully that will improve as I lean it out more.  To my ear most of the noise was from the props I used, an 11*5 Graupner for the first tank and an 11*7 APC for the second. It won't tickover much below 2600 at the moment but it sounds rich on the low end needle.  As it's snowing now I'm going to have to wait a week or two before I get it airborne.
    Other good points - the silencer hasn't come loose yet though the through bolt did tighten up a bit between and after runs.  With a deflector on the exhaust there were just a few smudges on the model, and a 3"*6" black patch on the lawn
    I'm using Castrol two stroke oil, I was surprised at how clean the exhaust was after reading some of the earlier comments.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone done any real testing with this engine with some numbers/stats. Like a chart with various prop sizes and rpm's and static thrust measured with a laptop like the magazines do sometimes (RC Sport Flyer comes to mind).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Enigne's just been released and only a very few have reported running it so far. Expect more info as the weeks pass. This will definatly be an active thread for some time to come.
    Never underestimate the importance of altitude...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes.. and combine that with winter weather that has a lot of field activity ground to a halt or at least slowed back. I've had mine ready to maiden but haven't gotten a weather window.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking at the size of the threads for the DLE 20 and 30 engines, there's a bunch of interest in smaller gas engines. We're just begining to scratch the surface. Those threads have enough data to choke a horse. In due time, there will be that type of data on this engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just picked up an evo 10, and I am excited to finally be getting into gas power. I am thinking about killing two birds with one stone (might not be a good idiom to use on an RC thread): it appears these will fit into the Seagull Piper Comanche and should be just about right power-wise. So I'll be getting more twin experience while I get accustomed to using my lawn mower fuel in a plane. Searched the local hobby shop for a nice size .46 glow arf and decided to go with the Edge 540 by Seagull. Once i get both evo's broken in, assuming my Edge remains in good shape I will be thinking hard about what next to put in her. I will report back once the plane is flying to let you know how the engine performs.
    Don

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

Looking at the size of the threads for the DLE 20 and 30 engines, there's a bunch of interest in smaller gas engines. We're just begining to scratch the surface. Those threads have enough data to choke a horse. In due time, there will be that type of data on this engine.

I agree on the interest and the fact this is just a start....

I think it's a safe bet other manf's are watching what's going on here - and like what's happened with the 30cc size, we'll be seeing more engines in the class available soon? Some will work, others won't, but the bottom line is the hobby will see some serious growth, and that's a great thing from any angle you'd like to view it from!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I agree on the interest and the fact this is just a start....

I think it's a safe bet other manf's are watching what's going on here - and like what's happened with the 30cc size, we'll be seeing more engines in the class available soon? Some will work, others won't, but the bottom line is the hobby will see some serious growth, and that's a great thing from any angle you'd like to view it from!!
    It really is good news. AMA had reported the skid had leveled off and probably a lot of that was due to electric park flyer introductions and on into affiliations with clubs and AMA membership due to requirements to join the clubs.

The .40 size plane has for a very long time been a favorite in the RC community. They are small enough to haul around easily in most any vehicle and large enough that one can stuff flight hardware in without a shoe horn.

Though Horizon has designed a plane that is well suited to the Evo 10cc, look at the range of airframe interest that quickly erupted and it has always been that way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

It really is good news. AMA had reported the skid had leveled off and probably a lot of that was due to electric park flyer introductions and on into affiliations with clubs and AMA membership due to requirements to join the clubs.

The .40 size plane has for a very long time been a favorite in the RC community. They are small enough to haul around easily in most any vehicle and large enough that one can stuff flight hardware in without a shoe horn.

Though Horizon has designed a plane that is well suited to the Evo 10cc, look at the range of airframe interest that quickly erupted and it has always been that way.
    I feel much the same way about the smaller planes. I have a Sbach 342 and a RV-4 that are both 25%. I don't fly them nearly as much as my small planes simply for the convenience factor. I generally have small windows of time in my weekend for flying and grabbing a smaller plane and being airborne quickly maximizes my flying time. The larger planes are typically reserved when I have a full day to fly or when I participate in an airshow/event. For me, having a reliable gas engine that can be used in 46 to small 60 sized planes is a game changer as I'd like to move away from glow entirely. I hope this engine can live up to expectations.

I've decided to use one in a H9 Katana 50. I'm not a 3D guy and fly more basic aerobatics. Given the Katana's weight, I think this engine would be a good fit for what I'm looking for. If it performs as well and reliable as I'm hoping it will, the remaining planes I have in this size range will get converted.

I'm looking forward to hearing more feedback as guys get this engine installed, running and airborne. Unfortunately, I won't have anything to contribute until spring. Although I fly a little bit in the winter, I won't shake-down anything new until spring.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

I feel much the same way about the smaller planes. I have a Sbach 342 and a RV-4 that are both 25%. I don't fly them nearly as much as my small planes simply for the convenience factor. I generally have small windows of time in my weekend for flying and grabbing a smaller plane and being airborne quickly maximizes my flying time. The larger planes are typically reserved when I have a full day to fly or when I participate in an airshow/event. For me, having a reliable gas engine that can be used in 46 to small 60 sized planes is a game changer as I'd like to move away from glow entirely. I hope this engine can live up to expectations.

I've decided to use one in a H9 Katana 50. I'm not a 3D guy and fly more basic aerobatics. Given the Katana's weight, I think this engine would be a good fit for what I'm looking for. If it performs as well and reliable as I'm hoping it will, the remaining planes I have in this size range will get converted.

I'm looking forward to hearing more feedback as guys get this engine installed, running and airborne. Unfortunately, I won't have anything to contribute until spring. Although I fly a little bit in the winter, I won't shake-down anything new until spring.
    I think many feel this way. It is nice to throw a smaller plane around the sky.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok so I don't need a kill switch and I can  cut throttle to turn off on my dx8 too cool so on my b-25 do I need desperate battery's for each motor or can they just run off a 6.6v life and just one on off switch?
    CORSAIR BROTHERHOOD #85

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A single battery for both ignitions is one option.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chandley43231

Ok so I don't need a kill switch and I can *cut throttle to turn off on my dx8 too cool so on my b-25 do I need desperate battery's for each motor or can they just run off a 6.6v life and just one on off switch?
    I guess it depends on how much control you're looking for. I would use only one good quality battery to feed both engines. If you want individual engine control, you could use a "Y" harness on the battery and run two switches (and even optical kill switches) to each ignition module.

I'm a fan of optical kill switches as I like the idea that if there's a radio link failure of any kind (be it Rx or Tx based), it kills the engine(s). Some see this as overkill. It's a vanilla vs. chocolate kind of thing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

One thing to watch out for is not all optical kill switches will kill the engine in the event of a TX or RX failure. Some failsafe systems will keep the igniiton powered up too.  I tried that a while back at the flying field and I could turn off the TX but leave the plane on and the plane and engine would still stay running. Another scenario was I had a some RX"s that would suddenly reset them selves when the engine started but the engine would stay running in spite of the RX's resetting themselves.  So you might want to test your plane setup with the plane restrained at the flying field to make sure of how it is working or not working sometime.  It is normally not a big deal if everything is working OK. So most people probably wouldn't encounter the problem.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow. Didn't know that. I should have been specific as to the brand I use. It's designed to kill the link to the ignition if the link between Tx and Rx is lost. I've tested it after installation and it works as advertised.

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=446

I also like the fact that it has an LED indicator that tells you the ignition is "live." It never hurts to have little reminders for those times when one has a momentary lack of awareness...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow. Didn't know that. I should have been specific as to the brand I use. It's designed to kill the link to the ignition if the link between Tx and Rx is lost. I've tested it after installation and it works as advertised.

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=446

I also like the fact that it has an LED indicator that tells you the ignition is ''live.'' It never hurts to have little reminders for those times when one has a momentary lack of awareness...
    Another thing I like about them, is when you toggle the kill switch, you can actually hear the spark of the plug. I have had those LED lights fail, but still had ignition. Now I carry extras so I can replace them. But it is nice to be able to send spark to the plug to know you have spark, if an engine is being finicky. All this without having to pull the plug.
    \"let\'\'\'\'s just say, they will be satisfied with less\" Ming the Merciless

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tested the "loss of signal" a little too. Was surprised that the engine kept running (idling) after the transmitter was turned off. But then it shut down.... Apparently there's a capacitor or something that needs to be drained for the power to actually run out? Takes a few seconds - the ones I've messed with anyway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My personal preference is not to have a fail save or opto unit kill the engine with lack of signal that might just be momentary. I prefer failsafe going to idle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got my Great Planes Avistar, it arrived in excellent condition. I have the Evolution 10cc engine mounted, a very good fit. Made a removable fuel tank floor and put the electronic ignition under the tank. Almost finised with the radio set up. Hope to madian it on Tues if the weather holds up, was a warm 38 degrees today with no wind. Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Evolution 10cc received its maiden flight today with good report. I flew three times and it performed well. The first two landings saw the engine die at the tail end of the landing roll outs but up ticking the idle a click or two and it stayed running fine on the third landing. I've not adjusted the LS needle any yet.

On my 5.75 lbs plane it did yield unlimited vertical with an APC 11x6 with some increased vertical authority anticipated with the change to a lower pitch/longer prop.

Having used hi temp copper silicone, there was no oozing of goo from anywhere on the muffler joints or the engine/muffler connection. There was only a small bit on the plane that cleaned up easily.

The first flight lasted 11.5 minutes and required 232 ma to recharge the LiFe 1300 mah battery supplying both flight control and engine ignition.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so the goo on the plane was not that bad? that is the only thing that i am not looking foward to. Good to hear she ran good for you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The goo was minimal and easy to clean up and considerably easier than cleaning up after a 2 stroke glow and somewhat easier than clean up after a 4 stroke glow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The plan is to fly again today and perhaps change props on a fourth flight to a larger less pitch. The plane flew faster yesterday than I expected for a thick foil as the Funfly3D has and I was generally cutting power to half throttle and gunning it in the vertical lines. It would fly the flats at full power but faster than I enjoy. The engine is certainly no slouch in a .46-.55 rated plane.

Page 25 of 73 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast