Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

I do have one question for the Horizon guys about the ignition. IIRC, either OS or Saito ignitions were specked to require a minimal rpm before they would fire, for safety reasons I'd assume. IE, they won't fire when hand propping a prime but require a smart slap to overcome an rpm safety feature before firing. Is the Evolution 10cc ignition similar?

I ask because I note a smart slap is required to hand start but when using a starter, the engine hits and is running immediately.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to hear that your Funfly 3D flies great, so the Evo 10 should fly my U Can Do 46 with no problem when I get ready to do the conversion. Here are some pictures of my airplane ready to go. Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo40669.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1842556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk25862.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	1842557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt58825.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	1842558  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi guys,
    ive got a quick question too,i was wondering what the 3rd screw on the carb is for ,the one with the nut ?
    hoping to run mine in soon,just curious to what it was for no mention of it in the manual

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The third screw with a nut on it is a idle stop or idle speed and throttle barrel retainer screw. The tip of the screw fits into a spiral slot in the throttle barrel so it rotates in and out as it is turned. Most people use the TX trims and idle stop settings for controlling the engine idle. So using it as a idle stop isn't used much anymore. Since it isn't mentioned in the instructions it is really just a barrel retaining screw then. Nothing to tinker with unless you were disassembling the carburetor for some reason.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks a lot mate ,had me puzzled ive owned petrols before but not glow ,this engine being based on a glow has some diffrences.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi everyone  just one question on the evo 10 cc    Does the cap of the plug will stay on place . Just pushing it in to the spark plug or do you have to turn it once you have pushed down      Thanks 
    Pedro 
    wilbertpedro@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The plug cap locks on with a twist.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flew the Seagull Funfly3D again today and on the 3-4th flight of the day, changed to a APC 14x4 funfly prop and I liked it. The difference between it and the APC 11x6 is a drop in rpm from 12k to 9k top end and from 2500 idle down to 1700. First, it makes the engine considerably quieter. 2nd, it slowed the plane down a good bit in both flight and ground handling. 3rd, it increased torque in up lines, requiring less throttle... ie not as much throttle jockying. 4th, it slowed down much better for landing. 5th, takeoffs are much cleaner with not as much lurch up when breaking the ground.

The drawback is that uplines didn't track quite as clean with the increased torque pulling left slightly more.

It certainly wouldn't be the prop of choice for most fliers and especially those who like speed. I liked it and will stay with it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

The plug cap locks on with a twist.
    Thanks I thought it did but, was afraid of braking the plug. You have to push down hard then twist, just like Onboard glow igniters, thanks for the info. Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wonder how well a 13x4w would work instead of the 14"?
    ULTRA SPORT BROTHERHOOD #120
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think a 13x4w would work well. In fact, until I flew the 14x4 funfly prop today, I expected to have to cut a half inch off and am not positive yet that some won't be.

One of the selling points for the engine for me was that it provided a wider power band than glow as I've come to personally dislike a screaming 2 stroke glow engine.

The 14x4 prop reduces that screaming noise level towards that of a four stroke engine, not getting there of course but it helps a lot. Of course the prime concern is at what cost to engine temperature.

When I read that the Evo 10cc prop range went through 13x8, I figured 14x4 would not load more than the 13x8 and possibly less. I've got a 13x8 and could test it but doubt I'd like it on the Funfly 3D but it would be interesting to compare loading.

I was surprised by the idle rpm drop from 2500 to 1700 simple by changing the prop. That is a big plus and fortunately enough ground clearance existed to get away with it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well mine is coming off at full throtle.   Just jumps off    Im still breaking the engine  any one with same problem ? 
    Probably will have to send ign back to H.H.   
    Thanks 
    wilbertpedro@gmail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was wondering about that plug cap. I had a lot of problems with that type on my NGH 15cc. Does the cable need to be tensioned so it will not rotate off?
    Let's just say, they will be satisfied with less. " Ming the Merciless

BUSA Bro # 13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That may be the secret... to load the cable flex so that it opposes coming back towards the direction of unlock. Mine is that way by by happenstance and has shown no signs of coming off.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That may be the secret... to load the cable flex so that it opposes coming back towards the direction of unlock. Mine is that way by by happenstance and has shown no signs of coming off.
    I had my plug cap come loose once after several tanks of gas. Really made the throttle servo jittery. I realized that I was getting interference and after a few seconds of troubleshooting the problem, I found the loose cap. I tightened it up (turned it 1/8 turn) and the servo went back to normal. I haven't had it come loose since and I check it before every flight now. I do have the cable flexed in the direction of the turned cap to give it tension. I DID have a problem of the braided cable getting scuffed and slightly frayed where the cable exited the firewall. I wrapped electrical tape around the plug wire and no more frayed cable.

Also, after a gallon of gas, I have very little β€œblack goo” now. Cleans right up with Clorox Disinfecting Wipes (green bottle that β€œnow cuts grease”).

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Interference is usually the result of a loose spark cable. And... it is hard on the ignition units and can knock them out. It is perhaps a good reason for opto kill, if getting RF interference and twitching servos, get the plane to a dead stick position and shut the ignition down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 14x4 prop reduces that screaming noise level towards that of a four stroke engine, not getting there of course but it helps a lot. Of course the prime concern is at what cost to engine temperature.

When I read that the Evo 10cc prop range went through 13x8, I figured 14x4 would not load more than the 13x8 and possibly less. I've got a 13x8 and could test it but doubt I'd like it on the Funfly 3D but it would be interesting to compare loading.

I was surprised by the idle rpm drop from 2500 to 1700 simple by changing the prop. That is a big plus and fortunately enough ground clearance existed to get away with it.
    Hello - I have been lurking here as I am interested in how this engine performs for you. Your rpm numbers tell me quite a bit - thanks for them. If you get a chance to test the 13-8 prop that would tell me a lot about what this engine will do for the 40 size mustang I am considering putting it in. I'm interested in speed and somewhat in thrust for my planes.

Thanks again.

Ed
    \"there are fighters and there are targets\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

DOES THIS MEAN IT WILL NOT FLY A 60 SIZE AIRPLANE IF IT HAS THE POWER OF A 46

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Has anyone considered mounting this on a profile? I am kicking around getting one of these engines and putting it in a kit built OMP Katana (old) or restoring a H9 twist 40 up in the rafters.

KUSTOM AERO DESIGNS

Laser Cutting & Engraving Services
    From Prototype to Production

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcrobby82

Has anyone considered mounting this on a profile? I am kicking around getting one of these engines and putting it in a kit built OMP Katana (old) or restoring a H9 twist 40 up in the rafters.
    Β*

An OS 55AX weighs 18.5 oz with muffler. The 10cc weighs 22 oz with muffler and ignition, and you still need a battery or IBEC to power the ignition. The Tech-Aero IBEC weighs about an ounce, so your looking at 23 oz minimum vs 18.5 oz. for the glow. That could be a good thing (kinda) if your profile is tail heavy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I never had a .46 that like a 12-6 prop. I think this will be good for .60 sized planes.
    Let's just say, they will be satisfied with less. " Ming the Merciless

BUSA Bro # 13

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe the tipping point is around 7 pounds.

6 and below - great basic aerobatic performance to 3D.
    6-7 - solid basic aerobatics performance.
    7 and up - aerobatics performance begins to diminish and you're heading towards trainer/WWI applications.
    Never underestimate the importance of altitude...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those characterizations seem reasonable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

does any one have a rcgf 15cc gas engine and know what nut size it takes to hold the prop on the company dont know that i got it from

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rfan_1

ORIGINAL: rcrobby82

An OS 55AX weighs 18.5 oz with muffler. The 10cc weighs 22 oz with muffler and ignition, and you still need a battery or IBEC to power the ignition. The Tech-Aero IBEC weighs about an ounce, so your looking at 23 oz minimum vs 18.5 oz. for the glow. That could be a good thing (kinda) if your profile is tail heavy.
    The plans state a weight of 4Lbsbut I remember my original one being closer to 5Lbs with glow and a 10 oz tank
    40-50 2c or 50-70 4c engine
    46 WS
    46 Length
    680 Sq.In.
    6.24 cubic loading

My main concern is that if I purchase this engine that I can have a 3D airframe to use it on, I am not sure if the H9 Twist will give me that performance. Since I will be laser cutting a short kit of the Katana I can make changes (longer tail moment to help with balance, ect.) before I would build it.

I wonder if the H9 crew have tested this engine on a twist?? The twist would be as easy as a recover and minor repairs.

KUSTOM AERO DESIGNS

Laser Cutting & Engraving Services
    From Prototype to Production

Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast