Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 28 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Interesting concept.
    FWIW- all IC engines are simply air pumps and as such have an rpm envelope where flow is maximized . (maximum torque)
    if the engine can not reach this rpm- power is reduced .
    Also above this envelope , flow again is reduced - per cycle but may increase over a given time period (rpm)-and HP can increase.
    Electric motors don't have these constraints.
    max torque can occur at zero rpm
    Libby is still watching you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rc34074

rmh -

Also your statement that using a prop at the upper end of their recommended range is overpropping is also wrong -
    That is "underpropping".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gosh... I'm confused now. I thought under propping was not enough load on the engine and over propping was too much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Gosh... I'm confused now. I thought under propping was not enough load on the engine and over propping was too much.
    That's right
    underproping lets the engine rev at higher speed than desiraeble for best flow .
    overpropping prevents the engine ever getting into best flow speed.
    It's kind of strange but max HP occurs not at the same engine speed as max torque - in most cases

At max torque -the engine has processed the most fuel mix per cycle .
    At max hp - it has processed the most fuel mix per minute.

How well the flow path is setup determines how well the engine does this.
    A rotary valve engine is typically best two stroke setup BUT some reed valve engines do the job very well -for our purposes
    some piston port engines also do the job very well.
    A tuned exhaust two stroke always produces more flow but may not be desireable for sport flying -
    The fuel used can alter the entire scene - A LOT - simply because th fuel to air mix changes as well as the desired compression for best results
    on n on etc..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rmh

That's right
    underproping lets the engine rev at higher speed than desiraeble for best flow .
    It's kind of strange but max HP occurs not at the same engine speed as max torque - in most cases

A rotary valve engine is typically best two stroke setup BUT some reed valve engines do the job very well -for our purposes
    A tuned exhaust two stroke always produces more flow but may not be desireable for sport flying -
    The fuel used can alter the entire scene - A LOT - simply because th fuel to air mix changes as well as the desired compression for best results
    on n on etc..
    rmh,

Thank you very much. I have learned a lot more from reading your single post. Clear and short explanation comes only from true understanding.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did my madian flight today at a warm 32 degrees and then 50 perfect weather for a madian slight breeze down the runway. My Avistar elite weights 7.7 lbs. Ran two tanks on the ground with the 10 x 6 prop. at 5000 ft, I did not want to try flying with that small of a prop not knowing the engine's power yet. Then I put on a 11 x 6 zinger, the engine was a bit on the rich side. Tuned it and it was spinning at 11,580 rpm. The evolution 10cc engine flies this 7.7 lb baby with no proplem, it is fast. Did not do anything fancy because I think it is still rich. Got two flights today. A question for those who have flown already, what are you using to keep the muffler screws tight with? Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BlackPowder
    A question for those who have flown already, what are you using to keep the muffler screws tight with? Jim

I don't use the muffler gasket, it tends to break anyway and leak of course.The gasket tends to let the muffler move a little bit and that contributes to the screws coming loose.I run the engine and heat it up. Then check the muffler screws and tighten them again. The screws tend to grow in length slightly when hot as does all the other metal parts too. But usually the screws tend to come loose when hot like that. Using a couple of lockwashers on the mufflers screws is a good idea, if they aren't already there with the engine.
    Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: earlwb

ORIGINAL: BlackPowder
    A question for those who have flown already, what are you using to keep the muffler screws tight with? Jim

I don't use the muffler gasket, it tends to break anyway and leak of course.**The gasket tends to let the muffler move a little bit and that contributes to the screws coming loose.**I run the engine and heat it up. Then check the muffler screws and tighten them again. The screws tend to grow in length slightly when hot as does all the other metal parts too. But usually the screws tend to come loose when hot like that. Using a couple of lockwashers on the mufflers screws is a good idea, if they aren't already there with the engine.
    After several tanks of gas, the muffler screws and bolt will remain tight. Just like the manual said they would. I also use red Loctite to help keep them snug. Be sure to occasionally check the idle stop screw, as it can also loosen up and fall out. They cost $1 to replace, and don't ask me how I know that already! []

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's right

on n on etc..
    Then it follows that by your rules we must only use the one prop that gets the best flow/hp/whatever thru the engine for the fuel and plane that you want us to fly.. So why don't you instruct Evolution and Horizon that their manuals and website are wrong and they should require only one prop for this engine for a certain fuel/plane/style of flying? The conversations and messages here show that they have good results from their testing but time will tell how good their engine really is. The control of engine quality will also make a big difference as we have seen with other engines, but I'm hoping that my 10gx is a good one .

Your theory sounds good but what is the point of using it to justify your earlier comments? This theory is fine but it sounds more like a theoretical dissertation than practical advice. Many engines end up being run very well being underpropped or overpropped and work very well for their owners in this hobby.
    So I will just see how the engine runs in my plane, which is what many others will do.

Ed
    \"there are fighters and there are targets\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well all i can say is that iam in love with this engine.i got my engine 3 weeks ago and finally ended putting it in a 46 size see bee model made by phoenix models. i went throu 2 tanks with a 10.6 prop like sugested and it ran and flew like a champ.finally a engine that i can count on good bye nitro and hello gasser lol 2 more tanks on a 11.6 prop and im free as a bird.[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Flew the Seagull Funfly 3D again today a couple of flights. I'm really liking the APC 14x4 funfly prop on this airframe. Another plus that I've not previously mentioned is braking action is better in down lines and this in turn helps slow the plane much better when landing. Both landings today required some throttle in a moderate headwind.

I tried to take note of the throttle setting to maintain hover and while that is considerably dependent on installation, it seemed to be around mid stick. I received an rpm telemetry sensor today and when installed will try pass on the numbers as to how many rpms it takes to hold hover with the given prop and plane weight.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rc34074

That's right

on n on etc..
    Then it follows that by your rules we must only use the one prop that gets the best flow/hp/whatever thru the engine for the fuel and plane that you want us to fly.. So why don't you instruct Evolution and Horizon that their manuals and website are wrong and they should require only one prop for this engine for a certain fuel/plane/style of flying? The conversations and messages here show that they have good results from their testing but time will tell how good their engine really is. The control of engine quality will also make a big difference as we have seen with other engines, but I'm hoping that my 10gx is a good one .

Your theory sounds good but what is the point of using it to justify your earlier comments? This theory is fine but it sounds more like a theoretical dissertation than practical advice. Many engines end up being run very well being underpropped or overpropped and work very well for their owners in this hobby.
    So I will just see how the engine runs in my plane, which is what many others will do.

Ed
    Where did you get the idea that I care what you fly and or how you fly it ?
    What I explained is not just a theory - it's how these things work- If the info is not of use to you -ignore it .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do they have other mufflers for it. I don't see that one fitting inside any scale cowl.
    Have you hugged your RC Planes today ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ed
    [/quote]
    Where did you get the idea that I care what you fly and or how you fly it ?
    What I explained is not just a theory - it's how these things work- If the info is not of use to you -ignore it .

[/quote]

Will do that, as I already stated above

Ed
    \"there are fighters and there are targets\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Performance is often based on speed but there are other criteria. Noise level, braking, flywheel action, and vertical torque come to mind and there may be others. In my airframe, speed is the lesser criteria... in fact too much speed is a detriment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Im not power hungry, im a slow scale/sport guy, but I do expect a smooth idle and transition, along with easy starts, low maintainance, and a complete line of spare parts for next to nothing and free shipping, Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Someone is likely to say that it wouldn't be safe to use muffler pressure, which might be true. AV8TOR
    The idea of muffler pressure not being safe is amusing. One tried &b true way to safely weld on a steel gas tank W/gasoline in it is to run a hose from the exhaust pipe of a running engine to prevent explosion.

W/exhaust fumes in the tank, there will be no oxygen to support combustion.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well mine is ready to go. Snowing miserable [:@] outside right now though. Not sure when its going to happen.

DSCN0138 by Hance1976, on Flickr

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ever thought about getting a set of ski's for it ? Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wonder how this would do in a .60 super sportster? I've got one unbuilt only because I've gotten away from glow completely. Weight should be 6-7.5 lbs. engine recommended is a .45-.61

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It would probably fly pretty scale, not grossly overpowered like alot people like them. Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hance,
    What plane is that??

ORIGINAL: Hance

Well mine is ready to go. Snowing miserable [:@] outside right now though. Not sure when its going to happen.

DSCN0138 by Hance1976, on Flickr
    KUSTOM AERO DESIGNS

Laser Cutting & Engraving Services
    From Prototype to Production

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

prop size is usually preference to the flyer and style of plane...but the landing depends on plane set up..play with cg moving it back so plane can set better when landing..just make sure not go beyond factory cg marks....i ordered an evolution 10gx..hope i like it...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i thought that was value hobby..i have liked their planes for the price..can't beat them...

Page 28 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast