Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Well on my dx8 I just use the throttle cut work this baby like its a glow engine and I'm considering looking into that ibcu type Ty in off a 6.6 life wow 1 less battery
Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 AM
josephcraig

yea my futaba 7c has that where you can set throttle cut..real nice to have..
Old 03-08-2013, 07:36 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Soft mounts= hard on engine muffler, easy on airframe and servos. Hard mount =easy on engine, harder on servos to some extent.

ORIGINAL: Russmall

I flew my Evo powered Tiger 2 for the first time yesterday and this engine is very impressive. Runs and idles perfect while jerking this 5 lb. 14 oz. model around like nobodys business. I'm using the Tech-Aero IBEC and an 1100mah A123 battery. Only used 120mah per 10 minute flight. I must say that I'm a little disappointed in the muffler. It leaks like crazy, even though I assembled it with Permatex High temp sealer. I've taken it apart, cleaned it throughly and reassembled it using even more sealer and blue Locktight on all the threads. If this doesn't hold, the muffler will be replaced. The engine is also soft mounted on a Hyde style soft mount which all but eliminates vibration. Happy camper here. RS
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Russmall

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joesphcraig, So far, Just the recommended 10x6 for the first two tanks. Will switch to an 11x6 for the next two tanks.

tkg, That may be true of soft mounts & mufflers in certain applications, but I don't feel like it's a problem with this setup. After all, there have been a number of muffler complaints on this thread by people who were not using a soft mount. RS
Old 03-09-2013, 04:43 PM
josephcraig

well i took the katana up today for the first time..had a few issues but nothing major..i have a slight tank leak and don't know if it affected it but had to open low side more to get it to pull properly on take off.i do have a  1/2 " muffler extension on it..that could affect the low side.but other than that it was pretty impressive...ended up with 13 x 6 on this 7 lb bird and it would go vertical....noticed when i got home my muffler had turned on the end..the guys at the field were impressed with it..hope to get the issues fixed and try it again..i'm a happy camper..
Old 03-09-2013, 04:47 PM
jewfish

Just bought one of these to put in a Phoenix 60 trainer, after my recent first foray into gas (seagull MXS/DLE20)
It will get some heavy use as a club trainer rig and hopefully cut down on the fuel expenses and cleaning time.

So far I'm impressed with the engineering of the 10gx and the care that has gone into the supplied accessories and information in the manual. Well done to the product team. This could start a bit of a revolution in the club sports flying market.

Anyway I have a bit of a newbie question regarding tank placement. Conventional wisdom seems to be that the carb (I guess at the needle) should be roughly centred with the middle of the tank. However the design of many of the popular sports rigs is such that you have a firewall, side cheeks and a fixed position rail mount intended for an exposed engine in an upright position. This generally means the carb sits well above, say 2-3 centimetres above the top of the fuel tank. This doesn't seem to cause a problem with usual 2 stroke glow engines but I've had some issues with a few 4 stroke engines (ASP61, Thunder Tiger 75) which I suspect were fuel flow related due to tank position.

So am I likely to have issues with the 10gx if top of the tank is 3cm below the needle valve? I can invert the motor to get a better position but then would have to seriously mangle the cheeks to fit the muffler. I can see these motors being a great drop-in replacement for the standard OS46 we see around the club but it won't be so easy if they need different positioning.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:40 PM
josephcraig

just pulled the tank and i had problems with it so i ordered new dubro tank with gas stopper and solder on barbs.i noticed this was a problem of the lines not wanting to seal real good..i had a sullivin angle front tank and i didn't like it..hopefully fuel problem will be solved. i had a dead stick one time and think the lines not being real tight inside the tank caused it.hopefully the barbs will solve all that..but other than that this engine will turn a 13 x6 blade and pull katana 50 real good...
Old 03-11-2013, 02:40 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joseph craig - did you order the solder on barbs from the same place you ordered the tank? What size/brand barbs did you order?

Ed
Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Re the barbs, the little brass ferrules used in plumbing compression fittings work great, are easy to come by at a Lowes, Home Depot, or your local hardware. Pretty sure 1/8" is what your after, but take a piece of tubing with you to be sure?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 AM
josephcraig

i measured the tubingand they are .125 which is 1/8..ordered them when i ordered the tank.you definintley need barbs for gasoline,even when i tie strapped them they ended up being a liitle too easy to come off..i was getting a little moisture from the fuel out of the lines without the barbs..
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 AM
josephcraig

Ed,

dubro makes them.......

Old 03-11-2013, 04:20 AM
josephcraig

your right,i didn't think about the compression fitting ferrels..next time i will
get them cause they are a lot chaeper...
Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: tkg

Soft mounts= hard on engine muffler, easy on airframe and servos. Hard mount =easy on engine, harder on servos to some extent.

ORIGINAL: Russmall

I flew my Evo powered Tiger 2 for the first time yesterday and this engine is very impressive. Runs and idles perfect while jerking this 5 lb. 14 oz. model around like nobodys business. I'm using the Tech-Aero IBEC and an 1100mah A123 battery. Only used 120mah per 10 minute flight. I must say that I'm a little disappointed in the muffler. It leaks like crazy, even though I assembled it with Permatex High temp sealer. I've taken it apart, cleaned it throughly and reassembled it using even more sealer and blue Locktight on all the threads. If this doesn't hold, the muffler will be replaced. The engine is also soft mounted on a Hyde style soft mount which all but eliminates vibration. Happy camper here. RS
Not so....Well designed soft mounting (such as a Hyde) all but eliminates the firing pulse from going anywhere. There is engine "shake" as opposed to "vibration". Shaking is low frequency where vibration is high freq and destructive to pretty much everything in a model. I soft mount all my smaller gassies up to 60cc. No longer have large gassers but if i did, I'd design soft mounts for them too. Rubber isolation mounting also reduces noise

If mufflers come loose it isn't because of soft mounting. Suggest one look elsewhere forcauses ofloose mufflers, such as proper fit
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 AM
rc34074

ORIGINAL: ahicks

Re the barbs, the little brass ferrules used in plumbing compression fittings work great, are easy to come by at a Lowes, Home Depot, or your local hardware. Pretty sure 1/8'' is what your after, but take a piece of tubing with you to be sure?
The reason I asked Josephcraig how and what he ordered is I was a little surprised that he bought them at a hobby supplier instead of Lowes/Home Depot etc where I would expect to get them.

Ed
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 AM
chandley43231

You know I love this motor an everyone here in Columbus is impressed with the motor also the only grip would have to be the damn muffler just will not stay on tight . I know it's a 2.5 mm bolts but I haven't had a full tank flight because the bolts just vibrat out. Yes have lock wagers on yes used copper heat gasket yes use heat lock tight  wold it be best to use a thicker anti heat gasket to cut vibration or will this just maybe go away after a full break in. I ha e to get a few more of these for my hanger9 b-25 an there 2 sitting on the self at my hobby store 

Old 03-11-2013, 05:03 AM
josephcraig

yea,i'm running the plastic mount and it dampens the thump of this little gasser engine,cause it does have a lot of torgue when you get into the throttle in the air..i think metal mounts would make situation worse on everything..
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 AM
josephcraig

i didn't have problem with muffler coming loose from engine..leave the gasket out of it and snug it really good ,,use a little blue lock tite if you have to..exhaust gaskets always cause problems with mufflers coming loose from engine..my problem was the end had turned a little which was my fault from not checking it...
Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 AM
josephcraig

try it metal to metal mounted on the muffler and see how well that works..don't put anything on it,cause i used a little silicone in the middle section of the muffler and i think this caused it to loosen up and turn...
Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 AM
chandley43231

Hey Pete if you can can we find out and get our hooby stores. (Mine is hurricane hobbies) some extra muffler screw bolts an washers lol thanks Carl the city plumber
Old 03-12-2013, 06:24 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Peter,

I had ordered one of these engines a couple weeks ago. It came promptly, I did have one issue though that the ignition sensor wire was cut on the side casing of the motor during shipping. I contacted horizon and they shipped me a new ignition sensor free of charge, and it was at my house in 2 days. Can't say enough good things about the service.

Now.. the ignition sensor itself.... how do I properly install this? There are no instructions in the manual on this. It mounts with 2 screws that install into elongated holes in the sensor.. presumably to allow you to modify the timing forward or backwards, however there is no indication of what a good/acceptable starting point is. Any information here or help would be appreciated. The previous sensor appeared to simply be mounted "centered" on the  case between the two screws. Is there something I should look for here to get this mounted properly?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:38 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Mount the sensor centered on the case. You won't see any performance gains moving it to either side.

Pete
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Peter, not looking for gains... just trying to do it right for first time startup.

ORIGINAL: Pete Bergstrom

Mount the sensor centered on the case. You won't see any performance gains moving it to either side.

Pete
Old 03-12-2013, 04:53 PM
dbar101219

I have mounted mine upside down has anyone had a problem with this way i have had mine for a month and have not got to fly it yet first time it started great but to windy to fly second time i couldn't get it to start so i sent back and they couldn't find anythnig wrong i put back on and started it saturday and sunday and ran great but still too windy i did find out that my ignition swicth was bad Im hopping good luck this weekend
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM
chandley43231

bro i have mine inverted too
just make sure tighten your muffler every time you take off i have lost 2 bolts now loc tite loc tite   but here is the great thang when the muffler was hanging by a thread wow the motor didnt stall just kept running  it missed a little but kept running then it would come all the way down to ideal so i had to fly it in a little hot  but used my throttle cut on my dx8 to kill the throttle  itll work great upside down  which is how im running mine on the hanger 9  B-25

Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM
daytonarc

ORIGINAL: dbar101219

I have mounted mine upside downhas anyone had a problem with this way i have had mine for a month and have not got to fly it yet first time it started great but to windy to fly second time i couldn't get it to start so i sent back and they couldn't find anythnig wrong i put back on and started it saturday and sunday and ran great but still too windy idid find out that my ignition swicth was badIm hopping good luck this weekend
Wind is fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.