Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

I don't quite have low end dialed in but for those following the
Telemetry debacle and if you have experienced TM1000 failure to
Send the cure is a ferrite core that snaps over a single coil of the RPM
Lead as close to the white connector end as possible. Managed two flight this morning 
With solid data. I will add that the best position for the telemetry
Antenna is vertically poking out the belly 
Of the plane
Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM
josephcraig

tank problem fixed..put barbs on tubes and put a du-bro 8oz. in ...i ordered the the dubro barbs,and by surprise there are four in a pack for 1.58 or so..i thought it would be two from the picture..oh well i have extra..try some old solder my dad had at his house from 25 yrs ago for copper pipe..it had got old..so i just pull the electrical solder out..seems like it will be fine..easier too..hard to beat du-bro tanks,sullivin tank going in the trash,it was to flimsy..
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Franco2fly

Tip for those having oil leaking seal on muffler.  I discovered today that cranking down on the locking nut ACTUALLY LOOSENS the muffler assembly.  I had my son's help in tightening the front long screw, and with his assistance I started to tighten the locking nut.  That's when I observed the screw head rotating. We loosened everything and started over.  The second time I applied less pressure on the locking bolt and had him hold the screw in place.  Next engine run, no leaking at the silver center piece of the muffler. 

I also tweeked the Low end Needle and now have it spinning  a 12x6 at 12,500 high, and 3200 reliable at low.  I think it might get a little lower after a few flights and switching to the fully synthetic oil..

KKKKFL
Old 03-16-2013, 02:18 PM
dbar101219

I put a 12x6 on mine today a could only get about 10,500 I went back to a 11x7 and got 11,500 and i have burn about a 1/2 gal. of fuel should i be getting more with the 12x6 ????
Old 03-16-2013, 02:29 PM
josephcraig

what kind of plane do you have it on..give it some time and keep your needle settings in reccomended area..i don't know if you have problems being sluggish on take off,but i had to open low end 1/4 to 3/8.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:00 PM
dbar101219

i have it on a seagull 540 and it has good throttle response if that is what you mean about take off

thanks
ORIGINAL: josephcraig

what kind of plane do you have it on..give it some time and keep your needle settings in reccomended area..i don't know if you have problems being sluggish on take off,but i had to open low end 1/4 to 3/8.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 AM
Franco2fly

What prop are you using?  I use Vess wood props and on a 12x6 mine turns 12500 on the ground and a little more in the air when it unloads.
I have an aluminum spinner.  I think you either have too much oil, or a poor prop.

KKKKFL
Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 AM
chandley43231
My Feedback: (2)

ok
guys lost my matt chapmen 580 eagle  just took off Friday night all surfaces checked out OK  had a down the run way west wind  about 5-10 mph  my plane lifted an and i made a right turn   for race track pattern  the plan fly for about 60 seconds the turned left an wen out over the damn   going out to the lake  try to turn it back an it fought me  all the way till i was disoranted due to the distance out an an i thin it rolled over and went into the drink.. i ran up onto the damb an wow saw it at about 3/4 of a mile out on top of the damn the wind was blowing at a good clip   trying to call rescue  to c it fire in the area would do a training  run for me as if some one is in the water  as if like getting a cat out of a tree but they said no an wouldn't respond so i had to wait for the wind to blow that yellow bird ashore then my buddy called me an told me he had a blow up canoe so he bought it  love ya man   mike for the help.  well about three hours later an getting dark a wing an the canopy floated ashore but low an behold  the the right wing had somehow come off  an the fuss  had set itself on-top of the wing. wow what luck there guys  so with the fuse on top of the wing there may have been a chance the engine was still in-tacked  and i noticed the wind had stopped an the fuse was not moving any more so i paddled out about 100 yards to get the rest of the plane  would you believe the fire wall was under the water an the motor an everything was still there hanging on by the servo wires. i put it in the canoe noticed the gas running out of the exhaust wow the fuel had stayed in the tank nice an tight. i rowed back in an an handed the canoe back to mike an started my walk  at least 2 miles  of in the dark trek back to my truck at the fling field. got home i  quickly took off the back plate a sprayed some wd-40  an shock out water  its been drying for 2 days  but i got my 10cc back  yea that it for that cap. one guy did say something to me which makes so much since::  when you have a bad crash with one kind of model  you lose a sense of confidence about that model even though you rebuild it  that cap is sooooo snappy but i just always had this OK what next feel about it  very unpredictable   well on ward evo 10gx men  on yea i bought an old ultra stick an stripped it  down 40 size going to recover an make that the new platform for the 10cc baby   rockon dudes 
Old 03-17-2013, 11:56 AM
dbar101219

I'm using apc props and lawnboy ashless 20 to 1 oil with 87 gas

Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 AM
Franco2fly

I use higher octane, Can't recall which it was, but it was high test.  I did break in using Stihl oil at the recommended 20:1 but will be shifting to the fully synthetic oil (should be less messy).  I have found that wood swings a little better that nylon, I think it has to do with weight.  The best prop at my local HS is Vess.  On the ground, I tweek the needle for a high end of 11,900 and it usually will break between 12,000 and 11,900  In the air it unloads and the telemetry tells me it is hitting 12,500 pulling my old OLD VK Cherokee at 62 mph on straight and level runs.

Hope this helps ya get closer.  Oh idle is very solid at 3800 and a little sketchy at 3200 but I'm expecting to get it down into the 2800 range before long.

KKKKFL
Old 03-18-2013, 05:22 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

I use higher octane, Can't recall which it was, but it was high test. I did break in using Stihl oil at the recommended 20:1 but will be shifting to the fully synthetic oil (should be less messy). I have found that wood swings a little better that nylon, I think it has to do with weight. The best prop at my local HS is Vess. On the ground, I tweek the needle for a high end of 11,900 and it usually will break between 12,000 and 11,900 In the air it unloads and the telemetry tells me it is hitting 12,500 pulling my old OLD VK Cherokee at 62 mph on straight and level runs.

Hope this helps ya get closer. Oh idle is very solid at 3800 and a little sketchy at 3200 but I'm expecting to get it down into the 2800 range before long.

KKKKFL
Franco,

Try leaning out the low speed needle a little bit. With a lightweight wood prop an idle of 2500-2700 should be very achievable.

Pete

Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Franco2fly

Tks Pete. I thought the idle was pretty good considering the air temp at the field Friday when
Doing the ignition RFI testing was 30 degrees. Did you want me to test the new ignition without the
RFI choke?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Franco - Yes please do. I suspect the results will be the same but it would be interesting to find out. Thanks for your input we are still looking into this phenomenom here.

Pete
Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 AM
Franco2fly

It'll be a day or two...  I don't do "Fly in Snow" and here in the DC area, we're getting a dusting this morning... should warm up by the end of the week and I'll have some results for you.

KKKKFL
Old 03-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Pete Bergstrom

We are kind of in the same boat. Although no snow the wind chill here is easily in the mid-high twenties.

Pete
Old 03-19-2013, 05:53 AM
josephcraig

is there a recommend gap for the spark plug..

Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Mikola

will the 15GX be unveiled at the Toledo show next month ?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

would be really nice if the spacers sold for the muffler came with lock washers and gaskets.....

was kind of disappointed to find they don't.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 PM
josephcraig

you will find that the muffler will stay tight without the gasket...ive run mine that way since new and vever came loose...

Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Enterprise6

How far back can I put the gas tank?  I am putting this into a electric I am converting and I am wondering where to put the 4rtitude tank.  For CofG reasons I want to put it under the spar, but that is a good number of inches back and I know with glow there is only so far back you can put it.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 AM
Pete Bergstrom

You will have fuel draw problems unless the front of the tank is within 2 inches of the back of the firewall. 

Pete
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 AM
josephcraig

you want notice to much of a difference with the fuel tank foward..cg the plane with empty tank and it will be fine.i thought the same thing when i started fuel planes,but there is not much difference except fuel planes do fly different..you may want it just a tad nose heavy with full tank if you fly your tank real low.this engine uses so little of fuel you will usually have half of tank left with even 15 minute flights on 8 oz tanks..main thing keep cg within reccommended specs..
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Franco2fly

I guess I have been a little remiss in reporting the results.  First a recap.  I put the new EVO 10cc gas into an old (30 year) VK Cherokee.

I wanted to be able to get solid GPS data.  The first go round was that I needed to understand that the TM1000 transmit antenna is the shiny bit at the end of the grey lead.  It doesn't work well when mounted horizontal since it will result in the iPhone STi module losing signal when pointed directly at the receiver.  The fix here is to use a small coffee stirrer like the ones Mickey "D's" has and mount the shiny bit vertical.  When I mounted this in my RV-4, the resultant GPS looks like this :

For those thinking about Telemetry, it is not worth much until it is married to the iPhone and you listen to the audio, as well as do playbacks.

OK,
So, I went round and round cuz the GPS was working, but when installed in the Cherokee, Telemetry would cease to be transmitted (Loss of bars) after 2 minutes, sometimes even quicker.  I tried tinfoil, and a bunch of other things, ultimately having success with a Ferrite coil on the RPM lead.  All this time Horizon Hobby support folks were extremely helpful, and I worked closely with them.  Ultimately, I received a new ignition unit, but testing with the new unit provided the same results.  I couldn't even get it to work WITH the ferrite core.  However, I was getting closer, at least now it was established that both units would RFI overload the TM1000 with the configuration that I was using. 

I finally, tried moving the ignition box from under the fuel tank to on top, and further played with routing of the wires.  Here's a shot of the new arrangement.

As you can see the RPM wire (tachometer label) initially was under the extra Ignition lead.  In the final arrangement I was able to move it to a location under the tank and more to the left side.  This gave good results last weekend.

Bottom line here is that if you are having drop-outs of the Telemetry data, where it disappears until a total power off, it is most likely due to stray RFI getting into the Telemetry module.

Again many thanks to the Production Manager for the EVO 10 as well as the Horizon Support folks.  As others have stated, once you get telemetry working you'll find you cannot live without it.

KKKKFL
Old 03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
rcrobby82
My Feedback: (14)

I got my engine mounted up and plumbed up. I am using a 6 oz tank since it fits better than the 8 I had laying around. I took the muffler apart and cleaned everything with alcohol and siliconed it up as well. The plane will finish out at about 5 Lbs 2 oz when done. I still have to attach the ailerons, elevators ect., and install all the linkages and servos. TheIgnition is mounted in the wing LE and is routed through a grommet for a clean install. The plug wire should be the only indication that this is a gasser.

Hopefully it will balance and 3D

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98066.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1866802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47237.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1866803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26436.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1866804  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:52 PM
chandley43231

hi guys update on the chatmen crash after the evo 10cc was inthe wather for over 3 hours i took the back plate off an sprayed wd40 in sided an soaked in some that merical oil   just ran the motor sence i rebuildt a hanger 9 ultra stick have a hack in front for the ignition  witha 12oz fuel tank it ran great on the bench now when weather is great will fun it at the field theis motor is sooo great  put a 12x7 on it an wow ths will pull   thanks horrizon  for the advice to dry out the wet motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.