Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

So who's gonna be the first to try to the Evolution tuned muffler that so wakes up the glow .60?
    Crashing my way to being a better pilot!
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: David Eichstedt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcTjVbXw_A

Here's a link to a non-mobile version.
    Nice Corsair, but what about the engine ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not me, I've seen too many 'too good to be trues' turn sour. I will definitely want a different muffler, more like a pitts. I'm not interested in doing any more engine fiddling, I want to fly. Someone else can be the guinea pig.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

So who's gonna be the first to try to the Evolution tuned muffler that so wakes up the glow .60?
    Using the Evo (aka Jett) tuned muffler is very tricky on a gas engine. I tested one out on the 9cc gas engine, and I had to run the engine quite a bit on the rich side too much. otherwise it would lean out when it came up on the pipe, so to speak. At the time, I needed to momentarily pinch the fuel line to get it to come up on the pipe, and even then it felt like it was still a little on the lean side. So I think one would need a in flight mixture control setup on the main needle to tweak it a little in the air to get it set just right. But the performance was pretty spectacular though, as the 9cc engine's port timing is more suited to a tuned pipe, so the performance boost was something spectacular. it really started howling like it was on a tuned pipe, up in the 15,000 RPM range.

but then the Evo 10cc has a needle bearing rod and will be less sensitive to running a little bit lean, so it might just work out Ok with it. I do have the muffler, so I'll defintely have a go at it later.

Here it is from my earlier experiments on the 9cc gas engine. So yeah it ought to be interesting on the Evo 10cc engine.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

ORIGINAL: David Eichstedt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcTjVbXw_A

Here's a link to a non-mobile version.
    Nice Corsair, but what about the engine ?
    That's a good question.
    If you think you can or think you can\'\'\'\'t, you\'\'\'\'re right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Using the Evo (aka Jett) tuned muffler is very tricky on a gas engine. I tested one out on the 9cc gas engine, and I had to run the engine quite a bit on the rich side too much. otherwise it would lean out when it came up on the pipe, so to speak. At the time, I needed to momentarily pinch the fuel line to get it to come up on the pipe, and even then it felt like it was still a little on the lean side.Β* So I think one would need a in flight mixture control setup on the main needle to tweak it a little in the air to get it set just right.Β* But the performance was pretty spectacular though, as the 9cc engine's port timing is more suited to a tuned pipe, so the performance boost was something spectacular. it really started howling like it was on a tuned pipe, up in the 15,000 RPM range.

but then the Evo 10cc has a needle bearing rod and will be less sensitive to running a little bit lean, so it might just work out Ok with it.Β* I do have the muffler, so I'll defintely have a go at it later.

Here it is from my earlier experiments on the 9cc gas engine. So yeah it ought to be interesting on the Evo 10cc engine.

Nice! Didn't know the exhaust port spacing was the same on these engines...what prop were you using?
    Crashing my way to being a better pilot!
    Saito Club# 679

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Not me, I've seen too many 'too good to be trues' turn sour. I will definitely want a different muffler, more like a pitts. I'm not interested in doing any more engine fiddling, I want to fly. Someone else can be the guinea pig.
    Edwin
    LOL

I hear what your saying and same feelings here.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Heads up, we've received word from the distribution center that the 10GX is shipping today.
    David Eichstedt, Horizon Hobby
    Product Development - Hangar 9, E-flite, Blade, ParkZone, HobbyZone, Evolution, ZP, etc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Auch Deutschland oder nur US-LΓ€den?

Shipped to Germany also or only US stores?
    PAU Sponsored Pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only to US stores with this announcement. Please contact Horizon DE http://www.horizonhobby.de/ for their shipping date.

Pete
    Pete Bergstrom
    Saito, Evolution & Zenoah Manager

ORIGINAL: skip1320

Hopefully it will run like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT7Ct...LkrWwQ&index=3
    Skip, what oil ratio are you using in the SuperTiger ? Thanks Capt,n
    Imagination is far more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein.

http://www.lambertsrc.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice! Didn't know the exhaust port spacing was the same on these engines...what prop were you using?
    Yeah it is a common exhaust port and screw spacing to match many engines. So you have a wide variety of mufflers and headers that you can use.

I was using a Master Airscrew 11x7 prop. But if I put on a smaller prop it would really start howling then.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

I cannot believe there is so many replies on a 10cc engine. Just get a high compression engine that will run on no-Nitro fuel. A Moki or a Supertiger or any engine set up right is far less trouble. Going Ignition on that small of engine is just asking for trouble. If you think you will save $$ in the long run...think again. The price of ignition parts and a simple spark plug is crazy. The tunning of a small engine & keeping it in tune with ignition & sensitive carbs is not for any newbies for sure. Wait a couple of years...maybe improvements will be better. Right now it is more of a experiment and you are footing the cost. Just My 2 cents....Flame away !
    Imagination is far more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein.

http://www.lambertsrc.com/

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Edwin
    LOL

I hear what your saying and same feelings here.
    I think all of us who purchased a JBA 15cc were guinea pigs[][:@]
    If you think you can or think you can\'\'\'\'t, you\'\'\'\'re right.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A big plus 1 on Airborne's comment! Now they're called NGH.
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a wife and a kid now so I prefer someone else to do the tinkering. I just want to use what time I have to fly. Trust me I have owned and flown planes up to 40% (Carden Cap, WH Extra and Dalton 260) so these days the thought of a small gas engine I can have in a plane ready to go in my car is great.
    PAU Sponsored Pilot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I purchased a JBA because even some of the engine guru's were pretty much giving it the thumbs up. I was going to change the carb over to about an 8mm from the 15 but just sold it when I heard about connecting rod problems. I found a good used ST 90 conversion and picked that up instead, runs very well and can't wait for the new flying season!

I'm holding up hope that this engine will be a runner seeing as Evolution engine do normally run well.

Andy
    ULTRA SPORT BROTHERHOOD #120
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The scenario is considerably different between a no name offering and the line carried by Horizon. I'm fairly confident that Evolution/Horizon wouldn't knowingly risk getting into a constant shuffle of warranty returns and loss of reputation that is inferred in the customer being just a guinea pig for them. Think about it...

I'm not saying that the motor is ensured of being a success just because Horizon is offering it... I am saying that if Evolution/Horizon haven't tested the engine to the point of confidence, I doubt they would be offering it as there is simply too much to risk doing business that way.

Venting frustration is legitimate, but where one aims that frustration should be done fairly and squarely on those who deserve it. Saying that all small gas engines have to be bad because one was... is frankly, wrong headed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not so sure it's the failure of just one engine causing the lack of optimism regarding Horizons 10cc engine? There have been other failures down in the smaller sizes as well? Without going into the details, I think it safe to say more failures than successes to date...

I hope to hear great things about this engine as I'm looking forward to finally having an offering in this size that works. A pocket rocket on gas - finally!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In all fairness, I have to state my support of Horizon and their customer service. I have bought many of their products, and on the rare occasion that I needed service after the sale, it was there in abundance. I guess I am still angry at the screwing I recieved on the JBA 15, and was equally upset when the designer bailed on the name and started selling more of the same as NGH. Not Horizons fault and I wish to restate thatI believe they will deliver a superior product.

Merry Christmas to all!
    AMA #77967/CD/LM

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

get back on topic! go complain about your off-brand engine failures and lack of customer service elsewhere!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Skip,

I would imagine the 10GX would turn that prop about 9700 - 9800 RPM and have similar or better throttle response. The engine loves that size prop and we have a ton of time on that sized prop.
    ORIGINAL: skip1320

Hopefully it will run like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT7Ct...LkrWwQ&index=3
    Horizon Hobby, Inc.
    Saito, Evolution & Zenoah - Developer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So would you say this engine's performance in the airis at par with a standard .46 glow? That is what I see with the numbers provided. Most .40 size planes fly quite nice with a .46 glow engine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Not quite, I would say that it is above par for a .46 glow. It is a great replacement for anything from a .40-.55 sized glow. You'll find that it is on par for the output of the .46 glow on smaller props like 10x6 - 11x8, but it turns the larger props, 12x6 - 13x8 faster than a 0.55 is capable of. The torque curve is flatter than that of a standard glow which results in it being able to turn larger props faster. This engine turns any of the standard props from 11x6 - 13x6 VERY happily, and is quite happy on the 10 inch and 13 inch props as well.

Hope this helps!
    Jimmy
    ORIGINAL: texasclouds

So would you say this engine's performance in the airis at par with a standard .46 glow? That is what I see with the numbers provided. Most .40 size planes fly quite nice with a .46 glow engine.

Horizon Hobby, Inc.
    Saito, Evolution & Zenoah - Developer

Page 5 of 76 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast