Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

iam with you if you dont like the engine send it back
Old 05-16-2013, 05:02 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AA5BY.... +1 is all I'll say.. I'm confused by Evegny's posts... if you asked me to summarize I'd say he hates the engine b/c he modified the crap out of it and it turns 16k rpm on a 13x6...

I'd be curious to see a poll of people that ACTUALLY own this engine and their satisfaction.....lots of opinions on here by people that won't even try it..

Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Franco2fly

I've had my EVO 10cc installed in a vintage (80's) VK Cherokee.  It performs flawlessly.  I've been R/C modelling since 1964 so that's my experience bona fides.  I would highly recommend the 10cc engine to anyone.  Output power is incredible.  The only small flaw was in the gasket materiel provided for the muffler.  It needed to be thicker so that it would compress better.  That's a pretty minor complaint.  I did the break in using NON synthetic oil(red container StiHL).  After a gallon of gas I switched to STIHL synthetic(silver bottle, and there's less residue.

Today I fired up the latest EVO engine, a 15cc, and the new muffler is bulletproof, no leaks.  It started right out of the box with only opening the HS needle 3 clicks.  I'm still in break in mode, but it is turning a Master AirScrew 13x6 at 10,280 RPM and reliable idle at 2900, this after 16 ounces of fuel through the engine.

I know there are tinkerers out there that like to see if they cannot wring something more out of the Manufacturer's product.  Problem with this is that its like saying you're a brain surgeon cuz you got a good nights sleep at the Holiday Inn.  There are many reasons that certain paths may not be taken, cost, wear, reliability just to mention a few.  IMHO, this is one of the best engines to come along in the past 25 years.

KKKKFL
Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 PM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

Solved the muffler issue with the Macs pipe, seems to run great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq47832.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1882563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14854.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1882564  
Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 PM
FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: mattnew

AA5BY.... +1 is all I'll say.. I'm confused by Evegny's posts... if you asked me to summarize I'd say he hates the engine b/c he modified the crap out of it and it turns 16k rpm on a 13x6...

I'd be curious to see a poll of people that ACTUALLY own this engine and their satisfaction.....lots of opinions on here by people that won't even try it..

I have this engine and love it! I have plenty of other glow OS, YS, K&B, Blue Bird, Magnum and ST engines and DLE & OS gassers. Except for my OS 33, this is my favorite sport engine, but you cannot compare a 10cc to a 33cc. I modified the shape of the HS needle to a tapered end on my 10cc and got a finer HS adjustment out of it. The MACs muffler is better too, but after breaking in the stock muffler, I did not have any issues with it. It's just personal preference on the MACs now.

You have to take the troll's comments, who don't own this engine, with a grain of salt.

Dave
Old 05-17-2013, 04:13 AM
josephcraig

enjoy what you do Evgeny...nothing wrong with it...
Old 05-17-2013, 04:34 AM
mattnew

must be tough seeing the ground from up there...

You had an engine that wasn't tuned properly. Multiple people tried to help you tune it.. you ignored them and talked down to them.. even though they had the EXACT same issue you had at the beginning... you damaged the needle valve by doing exactly what the instructions tell you not to do... and the instructions tell you that doing it will damage the needle valve.. .. complained some more.... then supposedly did a bunch of modifications that now have the engine running with some ridiculous numbers yet offer no real proof.. we ask for videos and you post an MDSengine idling with a tachometer on it.... If thats called being a modeller... by all means.. you go be a modeller and I'll be a user.... I'll also be the one flying my scratch built planes this weekend.

ORIGINAL: Evgeny-arm

In the world there are two types of modelers - the users.
These are the ones that use only all ready.
And those who are constantly experimenting and doing something for yourself and are looking for something new.
I am not a user - I modeller ....
I am not afraid of view of the machine or not treated metal.
I am different from you - therefore this reaction from most of you.
You are afraid to live.
You used to think that someone is behind you.
You are used to that someone will do for you.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 AM
mattnew

Apologies to the thread... and "rant off"....

Evegny if you enjoy modifying engines... by all means go for it, and by all means enjoy what you do and share your results here. It would be even better if you would show us what you did so that others could enjoy these performance gains as well....

Just realize there is a difference between me "choosing not to" and "can't"... I have an almost 7lb plane with a 10GX in the nose with not quite but near unlimited vertical, a nice idle and decent transition between .... I don't see a reason to modify the engine.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:38 AM
josephcraig

yea, my plane weighs little over 7 lbs. and it pulls it really well also straight up unlimited...amazing for gas its size...curious to see if they do any changes on later 10gx engines..i will definitly buy another one..
Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've just about had it with the google translated russian about marriage and life.

Now, what I would like to hear about is the engines that apparently are eating up the crankpin. I'm looking into one of the 20cc gassers, but those reports of busted crankpins within the first gallon got me thinking I'll probably be beta-testing for Evolution if I buy one of these.

Anybody have any info about how big the needle bearing in the 10cc is, and how it stacks up to the 15 and 20cc engines?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:19 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy
I've just about had it with the google translated russian about marriage and life.
Now, what I would like to hear about is the engines that apparently are eating up the crankpin. I'm looking into one of the 20cc gassers, but those reports of busted crankpins Within the first gallon got me thinking I'll probably be beta-testing for Evolution if I buy one of these.
Anybody have any info about how big the needle bearing in the 10cc is, and how it stacks up to the 15 and 20cc engines?
They haven't begun shipping the Evolution 20cc gasser engines yet. So how could anyone be breaking crankpins on them yet? What engine are you talking about?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 AM
josephcraig

i think it was just a few that had the problem with it...i think it was all because of too much idling when it was new with the abc engine...the 15 and 20 are ringed,so i don't think you will have any problems...
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 AM
chandley43231

Gang try a master airscrew 11x6 3 blade on this bad boy an check out the pull increased rpm s  I took a APC 13x6 prop off and wow what a boost next ill try a 12x6 masterwork screw  all getting ready for my hanger 9 b 25
Old 05-17-2013, 09:56 AM
mattnew

I'm currently using the 12x6 on mine. It does well
Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 AM
josephcraig

I like evolution 12 x 6 blade..seems good
Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 AM
chandley43231

All thre blades now the MAS props are rocking my motorh
Old 05-19-2013, 06:22 PM
ozzydude

Hello Pete, When's the next batch of the 10cc coming in? Thanks, Chuck
Old 05-19-2013, 06:35 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Our shop has 3 of them.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:46 AM
mattnew

link?( assuming you mean for sale... ) ... I know at least 3 people trying to get ahold of one.. I'll pass it on...

ORIGINAL: rhd-RCU

Our shop has 3 of them.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:59 AM
mattnew

Just had another good weekend with the 10GX. I have about a half gallon through the engine now and started leaning out the low speed needle valve a bit. Transitions aren't perfect, but I've been very cautious on leaning out the engine too much and admittedly always run my engines err'ing on the rich side. Will continue to lean it out as I go further... I'm currently only a screwdrivers blade width leaner than stock and the response is instantaneous enough that I'm pretty happy with the results.

Had my first deadstick... flew the plane up to around ~450-500 feet and cut the engine and put it into a spin... engine died when we were down around 75 feet off the ground ( doesn't surprise me.. that was a pretty long spin... )... landed, went out to the runway .. fired the engine up with a couple flips and went right back up... Good stuff, I'm having a great time with the engine. Another flyer here has a 55AX on a similar plane and I'm pretty sure that the 10GX is outpulling the 55AX

I'm getting 10650 rpms on a master airscrew 12x6 fiberglass prop.

The one thing I do notice is the engine seems to "burble" a bit more when the muffler side is "up". I have my engine side mounted with a pitts muffer.... inverted flight causes "burbles" however the engine hasn't quite becuase of this.  Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 AM
josephcraig

fuel pressure changing i think..little gasoline engines are more touchy to it..you might try running a higher idle on the flips,thats what i do,cause it can upset it more with low idle..i had my first spark plug die on me this weekend..it would run but couldn't tune it..ive had 4 gallons through it,all the rich running from break in..

Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mattnew

Just had another good weekend with the 10GX. I have about a half gallon through the engine now and started leaning out the low speed needle valve a bit. Transitions aren't perfect, but I've been very cautious on leaning out the engine too much and admittedly always run my engines err'ing on the rich side. Will continue to lean it out as I go further... I'm currently only a screwdrivers blade width leaner than stock and the response is instantaneous enough that I'm pretty happy with the results.

Had my first deadstick... flew the plane up to around ~450-500 feet and cut the engine and put it into a spin... engine died when we were down around 75 feet off the ground ( doesn't surprise me.. that was a pretty long spin... )... landed, went out to the runway .. fired the engine up with a couple flips and went right back up... Good stuff, I'm having a great time with the engine. Another flyer here has a 55AX on a similar plane and I'm pretty sure that the 10GX is outpulling the 55AX

I'm getting 10650 rpms on a master airscrew 12x6 fiberglass prop.

The one thing I do notice is the engine seems to "burble" a bit more when the muffler side is "up". I have my engine side mounted with a pitts muffer.... inverted flight causes "burbles" however the engine hasn't quite becuase of this. Any thoughts on this?
Matt,

The difference in rich/lean between upright and inverted indicates a difference in tank height when compared to the centerline of the carburetor. Most likely your tank is located below the centerline when upright andconversely above when inverted which then richens out the mixture. As you further dial in the needles the severity of the mixture change becomes less. If you have a way to shim the tank up a little higher in the fuselage when it is upright I think you will find that will help as well.

Pete
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess would be : where is the muffler pressure nipple positioned when the plane is upright  versus inverted ?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:22 AM
mattnew

Its your Bison Pitts muffler... so down low when upright, and up high when inverted.

It could be fuel tank location... I think my fuel tank due to the planes design is about 1/4" lower than the carb. Not a whole lot I can do there.

My other thought is it could be b/c I'm using a 6oz tank and therefor short tubing...... I may be pulling the clunk out of the gas and getting some air bubbles in the line b/c of it.

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

My guess would be : where is the muffler pressure nipple positioned when the plane is upright versus inverted ?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 PM
FlatSpin

ORIGINAL: josephcraig

fuel pressure changing i think..little gasoline engines are more touchy to it..you might try running a higher idle on the flips,thats what i do,cause it can upset it more with low idle..i had my first spark plug die on me this weekend..it would run but couldn't tune it..ive had 4 gallons through it,all the rich running from break in..

Interesting... I also had to change out the spark plug this weekend. My only complaint is the $13 price tag for a new plug! The engine was bullet proof till the last two weekends then it just wouldn't run right for anything. After trying about everything I could think of to get it to run right, including a new fuel tank and all new lines, the last thing to try was the plug. Bingo! Back to rock solid in 5 minutes. BTW, I have about 2 ½ gallons thru it and it turns a 12x6 APC at ~14500 RPMs.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.