Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Old 12-21-2012, 05:13 AM
airborne2.4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

Just went back and looked at the Magnum .52 and it has a couple things in common.
Did the Magnum .52 ever made it to the market?
Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Speculating really goes no where. There will be those that will be first in line and report back with their experience. I will be waiting to see what the reports say. If good, I have some multi-engine projects that can use this engine. I'd like to see a 15cc too.
Edwin
I had been reading this thread merely from curiosity, but did come across something I hadn't seen yet. I have been in RC for 16 years, most of which dealt with stadium trucks and monster trucks (1/10th and 1/8th scale cars). Just recently I learned of a new 4 wheel drive monster truck from HPI coming with a 15cc Gasoline engine. If there is a 15cc gasoline car engine, an airplane engine in that displacement range can't be too far off. It hasn't been released yet, I believe its due out in the spring of 2013. The cylinder head of the engine looks SuperTigre-ish...

Here's a link to it for those that have any interest. http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2012121101/
Old 12-21-2012, 06:42 AM
plaurence
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Speculating really goes no where. There will be those that will be first in line and report back with their experience. I will be waiting to see what the reports say. If good, I have some multi-engine projects that can use this engine. I'd like to see a 15cc too.
Edwin
I had been reading this thread merely from curiosity, but did come across something I hadn't seen yet. I have been in RC for 16 years, most of which dealt with stadium trucks and monster trucks (1/10th and 1/8th scale cars). Just recently I learned of a new 4 wheel drive monster truck from HPI coming with a 15cc Gasoline engine. If there is a 15cc gasoline car engine, an airplane engine in that displacement range can't be too far off. It hasn't been released yet, I believe its due out in the spring of 2013. The cylinder head of the engine looks SuperTigre-ish...

Here's a link to it for those that have any interest. http://www.hpiracing.com/news/2012121101/
seehttp://www.kmp.ca/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=226&osCsid=2 927f7219c86e8245bc8bda9de3e7003

Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know any one who has one but may be a few made it out? Fox was supposed to sell the .50 gas also but dom't know of any of those either. The Fox was nothing like the Magnum or Evolution though.

Andy
Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Plaurence - I was able to get a look at that site; it's nice to know there are gas offerings in that displacement. I think 10,000rpm on a 13x6 is a bit weak for my tastes though. I am a glow-for-life guy though. 13,000 seems more appealing for the same sized glow engine for my purposes.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went back and looked at the Magnum .52 and it has a couple things in common.
Looks like Evolution took over the development of the engine, good move on their part!

Hopefully mine is wating for me at my LHS!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:51 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Edwin

Actually they have had 15cc and 17cc model airplane gasoline spark ignition engines out there for several years now. There are several brands of 15cc engines that one can get. I have a 17cc engine on a .60 size plane already myself too.Zenoa and Quadra brand engines were arguably the first production gas engines, for model airplanes,sold in quantity and they have been making engines for over 30 years now. I remember seeing Quadra engines way back circa 1982or thereabouts. Now then some companies made more modern 17cc engines though, and these can be drop in replacements for a .60 engine. The NGH 17cc engine is one example.

But for cars and boats, the engines were derived originally from small trimmer or leaf blower engines, so they used them in cars and boats with little modification. I remember seeing boats with gas engines being sold many years ago. I remember they used to have 1/4 scale car racing 20 years ago too. The cars were pretty much works of art and they used small gas engines in them. Now then radio controlled helicopters have been around for about 20 years or so with gasoline engines in them too.

But usually folks tend to gravitate to the 19cc or 20cc size gas engines to power their .60 size glow engine planes. Usually there isn't much of a weight difference between the 15cc and 20cc gas engines.

But there is a demand building for smaller gasoline powered engines. Fox started the trend with their announcement of a Fox .50 gas engine, but it apparently hasn't been released yet. Magnum announced a .52 and then stopped. NGH suddenly popped up with a 9cc engine that has gotten a lot of interest and they have sold quite a few so far. So it is nice to see Evolution having released a 10cc engine now too. The 9cc and 10cc engine sizes work well in .40 to .45 size planes. But they can power the smaller or more lightweight .60 size planes too.

Anyway I can see people wanting a small crankcase .36 or so displacement sized engine to fit into the .20 to .25 size planes too. Trying to go smaller than this becomes impractical unless we have a breakthough on making the CDI or transistor ignition modules smaller as well as a smaller ignition coil maybe.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

I wish I could convince myself to switch to gas, but I just can't get over how much I hate the smell of gasoline. If there was odorless or near-odorless gasoline, I may consider it. For the time being, I'm all glow. Don't get me wrong, small gassers are really neat. The evolution line are neat looking with their cooling fin arrangement. Blue anodizing is a nice touch as well.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 AM
earlwb

It is more expensive but the SEF or TRU-Fuel premix gasolines they sell at the big box stores is quite odorless in comparison to the pump gasolines. Powermaster sells it is 5 gallon containers too. You merely add more oil as needed for the gas engine you want to run.

Now then if you can get the airplane gasoline or some boat gasolines work well to and aren't all that smelly either. Some race tracks have it as well.

I used to be the same way, as the pump gasolines' smell and odors bothered me a lot too. But I seem to be getting more used to it now.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:30 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I welcome the 10cc.nitro fuel is costly and mess to clean off .that makes passers a good thing and electrics as well.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 AM
texasclouds

ORIGINAL: airborne2.4

Did the Magnum .52 ever made it to the market?
No, the Magnum was never released, but there was a test guy reporting good results of it. He loved it, but evidentally Magnum wasn't able to get the right formula to release it.

I'm highlyhopeful about this evolution 10cc.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM
AJsToyz

I wish I could convince myself to switch to gas, but I just can't get over how much I hate the smell of gasoline. If there was odorless or near-odorless gasoline, I may consider it. For the time being, I'm all glow. Don't get me wrong, small gassers are really neat. The evolution line are neat looking with their cooling fin arrangement. Blue anodizing is a nice touch as well.
If some of the hobby shops would start carrying racing fuel in 5 gal buckets we can mix our own. We do not need high octane fuel just would like to not have the gas odor. I was able to find lead free 100 octane fuel in the pump for less then 7.00 a gallon. I know they also make it in th 95 octane rangle for watercraft/motor cycles/snow mobiles, ect.

Andy
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I felt the same way, and still do not really like the smell of gas. It is important to remember that raw gasoline seems to be more destructive than glow fuel as well. If it contacts painted surfaces or a not so sealed area of wood. It seems the oil we add to our gas can be more difficult to remove. The exotic synthetics. Almost all I fly now is gas powered.

That being said, gas is far less destructive to your airframe in the end. If everything is set up properly, the planes will last forever (along with your finish) as long as you can avoid contacting the ground! Not having to wipe oil off of your plane when done flying is a huge benefit. Not because of lazyness, but to mitigate the impact on the finish and airframe.

My Pica .60 190 D with DLE 20. Flown this for 2 years and so much better being on gas than glow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88793.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	1832546  
Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 AM
earlwb

A couple of our local hobby shops actually started getting some large containers of the SEF fuel from Powermaster in. It was in four or five gallon cans.  So if the LHS gets Powermaster fuel to sell, they can easily order the SEF fuel too. Powermaster makes it too.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hemikiller

Looks like Evolution took over the development of the engine, good move on their part!

Now we know why the Magnum version never came to fruition.

Magnum (ASP) and Evolution are all manufactured by Sanye.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM
MTK

I couldn't stand the stench of autogas either. I converted to Avgas 100LL 3+ years ago when I first got back to gas engines. Avgas has practically no smell and seems ageless in storage, long term. We don't need the octane rating and it buys nothing in terms of power, but the stuff is readily available but not quite as easy to get as autogas

Not as convenient to actually purchase it since you must go to a localregional orcounty airport to buy it. I simply go to the pump and pump it myself (with a credit card) in a 5 gallon gas can.

Performance wise there is no practical difference; it has run great at pretty much the same needle settings as autogas.Full throttleperformance is maybe 100-200 rpm lower than 93 octane autogas. In my set-ups I can't tell any difference in the air. Try it, I think you will like it. And 30cc class gas engines are sooo inexpensive to buy and operate with truly amazing power capability, that it doesn't cost an arm and leg to figure it out
Old 12-21-2012, 01:55 PM
Mikola

I'd like to see a 15cc too.

HPI coming with a 15cc Gasoline engine.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:05 PM
AJsToyz

OS showed us these earlier this year but for Heli use only. Did they sell any yet?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:56 PM
johnsh1234

Hi guys,

just read through 8 pages of stuff about this engine, with nothing other than speculation offered.

Has anyone run one of these things yet?

The video posted by Pete B was anything but usefull, I think we all know that petrol/gas engines offer better fuel efficency over glow.

Seems to me that Evolution engines need to get their act together, if they are unable to even post a vidio of their engine running prior to shipping out to customers is asking too much.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM
AJsToyz

I would love to see some video and I'm sure it will come. How many other manufacturers have put out running video, real time running video of the product they sell? I have seen a couple of bench runs and a couple flight but never by the manufacturer, always some one who works for a retail seller.

If these videos are out there I would love to see them.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 PM
airborne2.4

Yep, that's a heli engine. Now I wish OS would introduce the 15cc for airplanes
Old 12-21-2012, 04:09 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a link too find real Gas. It is great and doesnot cost much more than pump gas. I love using it...no smell and does not harm rubber parts.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/ Capt,n
Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 PM
AJsToyz

Hey capt,n! I think I looked at that link before, I think I lost a few places on my side of the state![] not good!
Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: airraptor

The weight of a 75 and a power of a 46. Sounds good lol

right

that's exactly what I worry about

some of my glow planes are just amazing with power

Electric as well can impress, but short flight times bring me down

I like the thought of NOT needing $25/Gallon Nitro but it is really hard to beat the power/weight ratio

I put a little larger tank in, and I buy a case (4 gal) of fuel at a time, and I am in for les than $20/Gal and great power to weight and long flight times

The jury is still out for me on GAS below 30CC

Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey capt,n! I think I looked at that link before, I think I lost a few places on my side of the state![] not good!
There is yet another link....got too find it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.