Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

ORIGINAL: Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: airraptor

The weight of a 75 and a power of a 46. Sounds good lol

right

that's exactly what I worry about

some of my glow planes are just amazing with power

Electric as well can impress, but short flight times bring me down

I like the thought of NOT needing $25/Gallon Nitro but it is really hard to beat the power/weight ratio

I put a little larger tank in, and I buy a case (4 gal) of fuel at a time, and I am in for les than $20/Gal and great power to weight and long flight times

The jury is still out for me on GAS below 30CC

I am very confident in the DLE 20. It is one of the best engines I have ever owned. Granted this is an engine for a little larger .60 sized plane, maybe more like a .90. The jury is not out for me to this size.
The problem is, unless this new offering works well (and I hope it does), anything under 20cc is not consistent. I had a JBA 15cc and could not get it to work. I had no less than 8 deadsticks with that engine. I know some have had luck with them, but many have not. As seen by the negative posts earlier in this thread. It is completely unfair to pass judgement on the Evolution engine until we have first hand experience with them.
I am excited about this new product and look forward to the experiences of those that have them in hand or on the way. I am definitely in the market for this engine.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Mikola

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's the cheapest plug for this little engine ?
I was cheking Rimfire site each plug is 19 bucks and up! last year $12 only.
smart company, they'll make lot of money with evo engines...
http://sparkplugs.morrisonandmarvin.com/
Old 12-21-2012, 09:38 PM
FlatSpin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another "clean gas" link: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

I've removed the ethenol from the blended gas before. A little messy, but it works. (add water to the gas, shake it up, then drain off the water/ethenol goo) There are other links to that procedure.

Dave
Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 AM
asmund

Could this spark plug be used? http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo...es.html#aJW201

Same threads as a normal glow plug
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some good advice has been given in this thread on using this engine. I've a few questions.

#1 If deciding to go single LiFe battery source for flight control and ignition and the use of an IBEC, is an external ignition switch required as in giant gas?

#2 What size of LiFe battery? I rarely ever fly more than three 10-12 min flights. The plane will be a Seagull Funfly3D (.46-.55) which does have dual servos on elevators and ailerons.

#3 is related to the engine indirectly but nonetheless might fit this thread. Normally gas planes do not get CA hinges... what about the use of CA hinges with a 10cc?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Hi AA5BY,

Many are using single batteries for both ign & rx without the use of an IBEC. The TH life battey comes with multiple leads making connection easy to multiple switches for ign & rx. The IBEC does afford the opticle cutoff to be assigned to tx switch.

What size battery are you currently using? The ignition will draw some additional juice, seen referenced where DLE20 ignition draws about 60 mah/min. At that rate you'd be looking at an extra 2000mah.

Would think CA hinges would work for this size plane, but would give plenty of "meat" for gluing and pin them with round toothpicks.

T-man49
Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The CA flex hinges work fine for just about all of the planes. But with a 3D type of plane where the control surfaces can move almost 180 degrees in travel, the CA hinges are not very good. There is too much flexing with the control surfaces in the 3D planes, so you do not want to use the CA flex hinges on those planes. In the more regular planes where the control surfaces do not move much more than 90 degrees of travel, then the CA flex hinges work great.  The CA flex hinges are about all I use anymore. Except in those certain 3D planes as noted.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:18 AM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Some good advice has been given in this thread on using this engine. I've a few questions.

#1 If deciding to go single LiFe battery source for flight control and ignition and the use of an IBEC, is an external ignition switch required as in giant gas?

#2 What size of LiFe battery? I rarely ever fly more than three 10-12 min flights. The plane will be a Seagull Funfly3D (.46-.55) which does have dual servos on elevators and ailerons.

#3 is related to the engine indirectly but nonetheless might fit this thread. Normally gas planes do not get CA hinges... what about the use of CA hinges with a 10cc?
#1 No need, your main power switch will turn off the ignition, since with an IBEC, the power is drawn from the receiver power bus. Of course, the IBEC also provides you with an ignition kill from the transmitter.

#2 I fly 20 to 30cc gas planes, all with IBEC setups. I either use a pair of 1100mAh A123 with redundant switches to the receiver to provide power to radio and ignition, or a single 2300mAh. If I were to fly 5 flights of 12 min. with either setup, my Cellpro chargers indicate I used just about half the capacity of the pack(s).

#3 I've gotten away from CA hinges. But the old Goldberg Extra 300 I flew for 6 years, the last 3 with a 20cc RCGF had CA hinges. The plane met it's expiration date, due to an electronic failure in the left aileron servo. A brand new replacement for an original that started to exhibit a worn pot. I would have been better off with the servo with the worn pot

Good luck,
Pete
Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: triumphman49

Hi AA5BY,

Many are using single batteries for both ign & rx without the use of an IBEC. The TH life battey comes with multiple leads making connection easy to multiple switches for ign & rx. The IBEC does afford the opticle cutoff to be assigned to tx switch.

What size battery are you currently using? The ignition will draw some additional juice, seen referenced where DLE20 ignition draws about 60 mah/min. At that rate you'd be looking at an extra 2000mah.

Would think CA hinges would work for this size plane, but would give plenty of "meat" for gluing and pin them with round toothpicks.

T-man49
I beleive that one needs to have some sort of a RFI or noise filtering setup in between the power line between the ignition module and the battery leading back to the radio control system. Some advanced optical cutoff switches have it, but not all. The iBecs ought to have it, but you need to check though, as some brands may not. A good radio control system will work with it all using a common battery pack, but some don't. So you need to be sure that yours will before you fly the plane.

I do like the Tech Aero Ultra iBec as it has been working really well for me. But I did find one brand of radio control system that did not work with it at all, but another brand had no problem whatsoever with it. Those LiFe two cell flight battery packs are nice too.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM
AA5BY

Thanks to all for the answers.

#1 My brain locked up on me with failing to regard the flight battery switch as an external switch to kill the engine to meet AMA requirements.

#2 Most of my gas planes have dual 1100 flight packs and switches and all have a separate ignition battery but that wont work obviously for this size plane. I do have one 20cc plane that uses a single 1400ma flight pack and a 900mah on ignition and it does well for my needs so perhaps a 2200 mah is the way to go.

#3 Y'all have me convinced to what I was thinking... to use pin hinges.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Pin hinges work great and are easy to install. On smaller models I usually just enlarge the pre hinged slots to accommodate pin style hinges. You can use epoxy or gorilla glue to install them. I have a very specific method with tape and WD40 to ensure no glue sticks to the covering and does not glue the hinge portion.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM
skillet92

Am always trying to Lear something new. ). Please explain your tape and wd 40 method for installing pinned hinges. I used them in all my warbirds and do use gorilla glue.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Shiftyeddie
My Feedback: (9)

I run the Evolution .60NX in my 59" Revolver and am considering
putting in this .10. I just don't want to lose any speed I get with the nitro.

Hopefully somebody gets on of these up in the air soon! 
Old 12-22-2012, 07:54 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: asmund

Could this spark plug be used? http://www.justengines.co.uk/acatalo...es.html#aJW201

Same threads as a normal glow plug
I would say yes...not positive Capt,n
Old 12-22-2012, 08:38 PM
gr8flyer55

Looking over all the pics they provided for the 10cc engine, it seems any of the 1/4-32 thread plugs should work. There are a lot of web sites offering them.
I am planning on putting this engine in my Stinger 60 which has been sitting in the original box for the last 3 years. Finally a small ignition engine made to actually fit in a 60 size plane!
The Stinger lends itself to many engine possibilities. Also a good choice for a sport plane with everything out where you can get to it is the GP Big Stick 60. I have one of those also and had originally planned on a 16cc Echo conversion for it but the weight was a bit much for the nose. I may have to just buy a second Evolution 10cc now.

The ignition is smaller and is probably very efficient power wise, so you could probably run a 2 cell Lipo at 7.2 volts and 900 mah and have plenty of battery left after 5 or 6 10 minute flights. Both planes I mentioned have room to spare in the tank compartment for the ignition and Lipo battery. Just looking at the plans and getting some ideas. More cheap flying fun!!

John
Old 12-23-2012, 05:31 AM
AA5BY

Some conversation at the field today about the buzz created by this engine. Personally I had a short list of winter projects but none that excited me enough.... until this engine came along.

Any thrust guesses?
Old 12-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Some conversation at the field today about the buzz created by this engine. Personally I had a short list of winter projects but none that excited me enough.... until this engine came along.

Any thrust guesses?
The hell with the thrust guesses ! Lets get a full blown report from some people that are running this engine !
Old 12-23-2012, 04:05 PM
AA5BY

The reports will start trickling in soon.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

With all the development work that's been done, seems like that data should be readily available?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 PM
airborne2.4

ORIGINAL: ahicks

With all the development work that's been done, seems like that data should be readily available?
+1
Old 12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When has the data we got from the engine manufacturers matched what we experience real world? We will know soon enough.

Honestly, I am more concerned with ease of use and reliability than I am with all out power.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:11 AM
FlatSpin

Field Report: AWESOME!!! I want another one! I put the engine in a 40 size sport flier that formerly held an OS 55AX w/MACS muffler. Out of the box, this thing fired practically right up and maxed out at 13,300 RPMs on the ground w/10x6 APC prop. The idle and transition to full throttle was also flawless, with no need to mess with the low speed needle setting. I got 13,823 RPMs in the air. An electric starter worked wonderfully on this engine, just like a 2-stroker. Head temps got up to about 175*. I measured head temp and RPMs with the DX-8 telemetry system.

I got in two flights with the 10x6 and switched to an 11x7 APC for the third flight because the 10x6 was barely enough prop for the plane. The APC 11x7 worked much, much better at this altitude. The RPMs dropped to about 10,600 loaded and 13100 unloaded in the air, and the idle came down to about 2300. All total, I got about 21 minutes engine run time and it used approx. 4 oz gas. I'd flown more, but the winds picked up and were 60-80* across the runway. Except for setting the idle trim and the HS needle in the pits for the first 5-6 minutes, I was nearly full throttle the entire time in the air. I’d estimate the performance of this engine is on par with my OS 55AX, and that’s in the first ½ tank!

I used 91 octane "clean gas", with Pennzoil air cooled 2 cycle engine oil at the recommended 20:1 ratio. The Pikes Peak R/C Club airfield altitude is ~6700 ft, Air temp 39*, and the humidity was about 25%.

My only observation was that the muffler screws definitely needs Loctite and checked every flight. The skimpy O-rings on the muffler body are way too thin and do not do much for sealing out the black exhaust residue. I stopped by the local parts store and got thicker O-rings for the muffler body and hopefully that will keep the residue from leaking out around the center section.

Dave
Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, sounds fantastic! Thanks for the excellent flight report!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

+1 for the report!

Definitely going to get one (or two) after the holidays are gone...

Bill S.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:47 PM
SkyPilot101

Is anyone going to follow Horizons long break in procedure for ABC engines?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.