pretty rv-4 btw.... I like it. I should put my cowl on
ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

Yup
Mine is near 9 lbs. A 20cc would be optimum
Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 AM
brunofporto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Evolution 10cc gas engine

I have the same clicking sound since the engine was new... The engine works nicely since then - I Think this is the answer:

AA5BY Date 5/6/2013 4:18 AM
Most gas engines have roller bearings at the crank pin. They must have clearance for heat expansion and it is that slight bit of clearance that causes the ticking sound. If the ticking sound continues noticeably while running after the engine is up to operating temperature... then there might be an issue.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 AM
josephcraig

bought a tube of the copper silicone and applied it last night to muffler and extention..gonna let it sit all week...see how well it works..put plenty on there..when i tightened it,squished out a little..hopefully this do it...the muffler is sealed with no problems...used permatex exhaust sealer on it..

Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

Started running my EVo 10GX last weekend, everything is the same as others have talked about except I noticed I have to have the throttle barrel about 25% open to idle the engine. I have owned many 2 strokes and I have never seen this much open, is it normal what are you guys seeing on the carb opening at idle?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:56 AM
brunofporto

Yep.

At least on mine
Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: brunofporto

Yep.

At least on mine
Thanks for the quick response, I'm happy as long as it's normal.
BTW I hate this muffler, took the muffler off my OS 55 and bolted it on.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I read someplace.. and I'll see if I can find it, that throttle position on a gas engine as it relates to engine rpms isn't linear,  Meaning idle would have the throttle barrel open more than it would be on a glow engine,

Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM
mattnew

Not finding my reference readily, but regardless, I'm finding my idle is in a similar location to yours as well.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 AM
josephcraig

Your fuel to air ratio is totally different from gasoline to glow..takes more air....
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 AM
brunofporto

If this muffler have a baffler, take it out to avoid overheating
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
C. Alan
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: mattnew

[img][/img]

Maidened my RV-4 and 10GX today and got some good stick time with the model/engine: some comments

- flying on a 10-6 prop, while I get the point of breaking the engine in, was pretty challenging. Not much power... required long takeoff runs, and being very careful to keep speed up in turns/loops/rolls and anything else. I ran 1 tank on the ground with the 10-6 and 1 tank in the air. I was pretty hesitant to try a second flight with the 10-6... simply put there wasn't much power there to save you should you need it.

- The 12-6 prop was night and day. easily 200 feet of vertical, takeoffs were under 10 feet. Much more pleased with the results here.

- engine never quit on me once in the air, its low speed was leaned out ( turned in ) about 2 screwdriver widths, The high end maybe a quarter turn. although I found the short landing gear of the plan and the 12-6 prop made for a couple prop strikes on landings. :-) that was my own fault though.

Good stuff, I'll update again in a month once I have a few more gallons through the plane.

I have a few questions for you: What pitt style muffler is that? Have your run it with the stock muffler? Can you comment on the differnece in performance?

I am going to install my 10GX in a Hangar 9 Pawnee 40, and I would love to use a pitt muffler in that application.
Thanks,
C. Alan
Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 AM
mattnew

2 things:

1.  lets see some more prop/rpm numbers in this thread!

2.  what are people using for spark plugs besides the stock one? Horizon has been sold out of the stock one for a month now and I want to stock up on some plugs
Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 PM
josephcraig

HOBBYZONE has them..branch store.but i haven't had issues much with them....
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
ozzydude

ORIGINAL: mattnew

2 things:

1. lets see some more prop/rpm numbers in this thread!

2. what are people using for spark plugs besides the stock one? Horizon has been sold out of the stock one for a month now and I want to stock up on some plugs
Horizon has the plug back in stock. I received mine today for a spare to the motor i don't have yet cause its still on backorder....
Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By non linear on a gas, it is generally meant that the first half of the butterfly movement will control 3/4 or so of the rpm range. It is an aggravating issue causing many gas users to use some countering technique.

The linearity of the Evolution carb is far better than a Walbro and I've felt no need to use countering measures on it.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

By non linear on a gas, it is generally meant that the first half of the butterfly movement will control 3/4 or so of the rpm range. It is an aggravating issue causing many gas users to use some countering technique.
Exactly....One simple"fix" is fairly straight forward if one owns a computer radio. You can easily program a throttle curve, essentially reducing servo response in the mid range. Another thing that helps is a much longer throttle arm. I chuck the stock 1/4" long arms from Walbros and fit roughly 1" arms I make from phenolic sheet. I'm sure someone out there offers longer arms commercially, I just haven't bothered to look.

I can only wish that Walbro will consider producing a line of carbs more suited to model plane engines. The current product is designed for two speeds, exactly what chain saws and weed wackers require.....It isroughly about a million to one differential compared to airplane engine use. If it was your company where would you put your development dollars into? In other words, it will remain a wish, because it ain't happenin'
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Clicking Noise.
My engine has around 25+ tanks through it and it's now making a clicking noise when running and is noticeable at idle /lower rpm. There has always been a slight click when rotating by hand and it seems others have that as well but it just started to be very apparent when running.
Still running 20"1 and switched over to Klotz about 8 tanks ago. Running an APC 13X6 and just tried a Vess 13X6. Have the carb tuned for good transition on low and peak rpm to where it's not 4-stroking in the air but yet not too lean. The engine is still performing well but now with this clicking. When rotating by hand the click that was there is still there but not any louder. There is no end play or lateral play in the crank that I can feel.
Anyone else experiencing this yet?
Well I spoke with a "Tom" at Horizon and explained the situation. He said that Klotz oil should be OK as the only oil they know of that doesn't work well with their engines is Amsoil.
He said it sounds like a crank pin or wrist pin that could be making the noise and not so much the front roller bearing. He didn't seem too concerned with it and said keep running it and if it gets worse or the performance degrades then send it in.

I think I will remove the speak plug and get wooden dowel and hold down on the piston as it approaches TDC and see if I can "feel" the click or any slop . I'm not going to open the case and risk voiding the warranty unless told to do so.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:54 AM
flyinwalenda

I removed the plug(plug looked good with just a few deposits) and I took a wood dowel ,held it on the piston with pressure and while rotating the engine I believe I've found the "click" at idle/low rpm in the form of a little slop when the piston was coming up with a slight "clunk" as the piston dropped down a bit. Repeated and it was consistent.
Looking at the post and pics from "smsinfo" (elsewhere), he showed premature wear on the crank pin after tearing his engine down after some trouble. I am going to say it's the crank pin on mine starting to wear as well. I can't tell from his posts if he experienced clicking at idle/lower rpm on his.Here is his pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76519.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	1880236  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 AM
plaurence

Troybuilt models have various size red anodized arms .
[

quote]ORIGINAL: MTK

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Exactly....One simple"fix" is fairly straight forward if one owns a computer radio. You can easily program a throttle curve, essentially reducing servo response in the mid range. Another thing that helps is a much longer throttle arm. I chuck the stock 1/4" long arms from Walbros and fit roughly 1" arms I make from phenolic sheet. I'm sure someone out there offers longer arms commercially, I just haven't bothered to look.

I can only wish that Walbro will consider producing a line of carbs more suited to model plane engines. The current product is designed for two speeds, exactly what chain saws and weed wackers require.....It isroughly about a million to one differential compared to airplane engine use. If it was your company where would you put your development dollars into? In other words, it will remain a wish, because it ain't happenin'
[/quote]
Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM
chandley43231

Wow mine clicks Always has runs great running. A 11x7 3 blade master airscrew getting 1100 and 1200 plus rpm love this motor can't wait to get 2 on my hAnger9 b-25 run them on there own channels to tune them up cink hAve each there own 6.6v life battery on there yeeee  haaaa
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
mattnew

its the pitts muffler by bison mufflers that horizon hobby sells $37 bucks
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...10GX#t4-HOPUPS

I never ran it on the stock muffler b/c the stock muffler wouldn't fit on the plane, even with the extensions. It runs very well with the larger props. i wasn't too happy with the 10-6, breakin prop but toughed it out

ORIGINAL: C. Alan

I have a few questions for you: What pitt style muffler is that? Have your run it with the stock muffler? Can you comment on the differnece in performance?

I am going to install my 10GX in a Hangar 9 Pawnee 40, and I would love to use a pitt muffler in that application.
Thanks,
C. Alan
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 AM
mattnew

Not sure, mine had a "click" out of the box that I noticed... its not any more or less pronounced now that I have a few tanks through it... we'll pay attention to it as time goes on.

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

I removed the plug(plug looked good with just a few deposits) and I took a wood dowel ,held it on the piston with pressure and while rotating the engine I believe I've found the "click" at idle/low rpm in the form of a little slop when the piston was coming up with a slight "clunk" as the piston dropped down a bit. Repeated and it was consistent.
Looking at the post and pics from "smsinfo" (elsewhere), he showed premature wear on the crank pin after tearing his engine down after some trouble. I am going to say it's the crank pin on mine starting to wear as well. I can't tell from his posts if he experienced clicking at idle/lower rpm on his.Here is his pic
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

its something to read all the bad things about the . evolution 10cc engine i would like to try one> but my thoughts are will i get a bad one
Old 05-08-2013, 10:25 AM
flyinwalenda

I am in agreement the "original click" is a trademark of the engine and is probably the conrod roller bearing clearance . Mine still has the faint tick/click when rotated by hand and I'm sure it is unrelated to the louder clicking now present at idle and low rpm's.
This new issue is the only issue I've experienced after many,many hours on the engine so far and if related to an early production issue with the cranks I can understand as this is a very early production engine as far as I can tell.
I'm still happy with the engine and it's performance and this hasn't deterred me from continued promotion at the field and elsewhere.
As long as Horizon stands behind and takes care of it.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 AM
brunofporto

I think that the "original click" is related to the needle bearing of the piston rod on TDC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.