Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

New Evolution 10cc gas engine

Old 11-26-2015, 12:46 PM
trigeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCGayhart
I've got my third engine, second pumped and just did a test run with the 10x6 APC. I'm tacking over 12,300! I also just ordered a Sig Clip T 70, Tower is offering $30 off and free shipping.
Then that's a bargain - shipping free too. My LHS charged me $30 over Tower's list price.

It's a very nicely constructed plane, almost everything done for you except hinges and almost all the hardware you will need. Get yourself some Tygon or neoprene tubes for the tank and a gas-friendly tank stopper. See my build blog on the other site.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 PM
josephcraig

well i have the general hobby raven 60" plane I have been working on for several weeks.They kinda lied on the plane being glow and electric,so i had to cut engine mount and move it back.I was worried about 15cc being too large,but the plane is about same size as hanger 9 katana 50,but gonna be little lighter.I had katana 50 with 15cc v1 evo and traded it.This one will have v2 engine which from couple of tanks i have run thru it so far on ground,it's gonna be better engine on break in.The pump carb is gonna make a good engine to a great engine i think.Break in process should be lot more forgiving.Now if they would cure the muffler problem,I think they will have the perfect small gas engine.I'm running pitts bisson..fits good and sounds good.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:13 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I mentioned I had a 57" MX-2 from General on the way a while back.
http://www.generalhobby.com/skyline-...een-p-359.html

At 5 lbs 4oz dry, the plane ended up right on the high end of where they said it would come in using a single 1100mah A123 setup w/park model size servos other than a mini on the throttle. Balanced easily with pull pull rudder and elevator servo mounted in back. I did install the engine on it's side using a Bison Pitts muffler (lighter than stock, no leaks). No surprises with the kit. Anyone with a few ARF's under their belt will have no trouble with it.

Maidened the plane this afternoon. Engine was running great (9500 on an APC 13x6) , and for the first time, I saw an Evo 10 actually hold a plane in a hover. Unlimited (or VERY good - turned the plane into a dot) vertical. Pretty pleased with that. However, from what I saw today, there's not a lot of reserve power. Those wanting hard 3D are going to need to be lighter yet. Will play with some different props to see if there's anything left on the table there.

In short, it looks like the plane/engine combo has a lot of potential. Very promising.... -Al
Old 11-30-2015, 08:20 PM
josephcraig

yea these smaller gas engines are not gonna be a real stump puller,but maybe the longer they are in production they will get better and better.look at the larger gas engines..there technology has been out for many years and they are lot better now.30 to 50cc planes having pretty much 2 to 1 thrust.lot of fun playing with them tho.On your 10cc engine,if its hovering pretty good on your first flights,wait till the engine breaks in.It will suprise you.i have v1 and its a rocket with 11 x 6 prop on sport plane.Put it against any 50 to 55 glow.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:44 AM
ahicks

Joseph - this isn't a new engine. This plane is actually the 4th one it's been in over a period of a couple of years. Each one lighter/closer to the performance levels I have in mind to suit my flying style. Thinking I may be very close with this one. -Al
Old 12-06-2015, 10:28 AM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

Originally Posted by trigeek
Then that's a bargain - shipping free too. My LHS charged me $30 over Tower's list price.

It's a very nicely constructed plane, almost everything done for you except hinges and almost all the hardware you will need. Get yourself some Tygon or neoprene tubes for the tank and a gas-friendly tank stopper. See my build blog on the other site.
How did you mount your engine? I want to mount inverted. The only muffler I can find for an inverted in cowl muffler is JTec. Does anyone know if it will fit inside the cowl of the Clip T 70?
Old 12-13-2015, 12:14 AM
josephcraig

fixin to fly raven 60" plane from general hobby today with 15ccv2.had to glue 2 ounces to tail to get cg correct,not too bad for light cons. plane.may purchase 60" yak from them later.very sweet engine from couple of tanks run on ground.very forgiven on needle settings with new pump carb on new engine.i have an apc 14 x 5n blade on it for maiden flight,pretty much same load as 13 x 6 reg blade,but should give better thrust than 13.may try 14 x 6 after several flights in to see how it pulls.wish me good luck.from what i have experienced,v2 engine supplies better fuel pressure on carb and engine will clear up on wide range of settings.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:06 AM
Falcon6667

Let us know how it goes.....Good luck on frist flight...........
Old 01-14-2016, 02:05 PM
silverwings
My Feedback: (21)

jspauld2,
If I send my crankcase in to Horizon, will they install the pressure tap in it for me?
Rick
Old 01-16-2016, 02:06 PM
ahicks

Those considering updating their older Evo10 engines with the new pumped carb might want to reconsider.....

I received the carb in the mail today, and it's a nice looking part, so I commenced to pulling the engine from the plane and disassembling it. Everything about as expected, until I got inside, and this is where I'm questioning myself for considering this mod.

The crank is trashed with very noticeable wear on the crank pin. It's so obvious you don't even need to put your glasses on to see it. It easily fails the fingernail test. So, 33.00 for a new crank. Would you use the old rod bearing on your new crank? Not me! So another 30 bucks. The rear bearing on mine doesn't feel near as nice as the front bearing, so might as well replace that while it's down. Another 8.00

33.00 crank
30.00 rod
8.00 bearing
36.00 carb

107.00, plus time and trouble to pull the engine down and install the pressure fitting.

199. Buys you a new engine, with updated carb already installed, warranty, no messing around pulling the engine down and installing a pressure tap, etc....

I'll leave which is the smarter move up to you.....

BTW, there has been no cheating regarding oil use with this engine. It's been 20:1 since new. Not going into an oil war, so just suffice it to say I've been using quality oil. I've read about others with this same issue, and always questioned whether or not abuse may be a factor. I'm here to tell you now, that this engine has not been abused. There's a really serious design flaw here. It really sucks, because it would appear it's going to last just long enough to get through it's warranty period. If it were not for this carb mod. I would not have known the bottom end of this engine was about to let go.

This is a long way around to say that if you have much time on your engine, there's a good chance you're going to see what I did when you open it up.

Yes, it's out of warranty. -Al

Last edited by ahicks; 01-16-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:28 PM
the pope

I think theres a ? on the early ones with the crank which is a shame cause I have the early one un run . I should just get a new crank just in case it does damage to the piston and liner , not sure what batch it would come from though , how does yours look ( pist and lin ) ? Cheers

Last edited by the pope; 01-16-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:43 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was from a first run/dealer only batch and the crank pin failed during break-in. HH rebuilt it and it's got close to 10 gallons through it in 3 years and so far so good. I don't plan on swapping the carb as it runs fine. If/when it lets loose then I'll get an updated engine.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:50 PM
ahicks

The rest of the engine looks really good. Small end of rod and piston shows very little wear, and very little carbon build up on the crown and skirts. No significant scratches on the piston. I was surprised at the condition of the rear bearing actually.

I think you are spot on in your assessment. The guys that bought the early engines, that didn't start using them right away, or use them enough for the problem to show up under warranty, are pretty much screwed. It's very easy to make a case for throwing that engine away and getting a new one... IF you would ever own another Evo.....

Seriously considering a switch to the 10cc RCGF......

Last edited by ahicks; 01-16-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:25 PM
the pope

I only have to get bitten once to learn my lesson . Usually my biggest mistake is having to have the latest thing as soon as possible and pay the price because of that . The norvel 40 gaser didnt work out too well either and seeing I have enough 46 size engines that will probably never see fuel again ( busted crank ) . I was thinking of turning it into a glow but the cost makes it not that viable . Anyone need one for spares ? Remember Mintor , well I have 2x 22cc unrun which some have worked for people and some have been a frightmare . If you want to read how to kill off a manufacturer follow them clowns on FG .I tend to want to go bigger now anyway and may sell off some of my NIB 2st glow engines . The ones already used and all of my 4st I may as well keep as no one will pay what there worth to me .The rcgf engine line usualy gets no bad raps so the 10 might be good one although pretty pricey here in Aus . cheers the pope
Old 01-16-2016, 05:25 PM
flyinwalenda

I would like to try the GGT10 OS gasser next.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:33 PM
the pope

They want over $400 aus $ for that here . Thats just too much for this little black duck . Gee Im glad I have more engines than a bull could sh*t so I relly need no more although when I get one I say thats it no more and then 2wks latter Ive got something else in mind . My latest on the wish list is a 3W 55 which I have just ordered a plan for . cheers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Scale-...3D361270511214
Old 01-16-2016, 06:06 PM
ahicks

I finally figured out what kind of plane I need to make the Evo run at a level I enjoy. That's been quite an investment right there (time AND money). I may abandon this engine, but I doubt I'll abandon the 10cc class gassers any time soon. I still see a TON of potential for them. -Al
Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 PM
the pope

Is the plane a secrete ? cheers
Old 01-17-2016, 04:09 AM
erieqc

Originally Posted by the pope
They want over $400 aus $ for that here . Thats just too much for this little black duck . Gee Im glad I have more engines than a bull could sh*t so I relly need no more although when I get one I say thats it no more and then 2wks latter Ive got something else in mind . My latest on the wish list is a 3W 55 which I have just ordered a plan for . cheers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Scale-...3D361270511214
That's sort of funny because I bought all my ggts from world hobbies down there and had them shipped for a lot less than buying them here.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:25 AM
ahicks

Originally Posted by the pope
Is the plane a secrete ? cheers
No secret at all! See #2128 just above for link. I've had it out a few times since, and it just keeps getting better!
Old 01-17-2016, 05:35 AM
the pope

Originally Posted by erieqc
That's sort of funny because I bought all my ggts from world hobbies down there and had them shipped for a lot less than buying them here.
Yeh not so funny any more ! I got 2- Roto's / 2- is gf40's / 1- is gf30 / os 33 , 22 and the 15 from them . Then each time they got restocked and the Aus $ went down the prices rose . That's where I checked the price for the 10 cc I quoted . I mentioned them quite a few times so people in US could get a good deal . I've got enough now so it doesn't really matter but its getting a bit outrages now .Cheers the pope
Old 01-25-2016, 04:35 PM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

I've been flight the Clip-T a lot lately. The EVO 10cc keep getting stronger. My onboard GPS has recorded 125+ MPH several times. This thing is Smokin!
On the down side my idle was getting flaky the other day and I found the carb retaining parts fell out and are lost forever. I need to call Horizon.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:08 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

So with out having to read the whole thread, what is the over all quality of the eve 10?
Old 01-26-2016, 02:22 AM
erieqc

Originally Posted by hairy46
So with out having to read the whole thread, what is the over all quality of the eve 10?
The early ones had crank pin, and carb problems. They made changes might be to early to tell yet.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:34 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by hairy46
Good !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.