Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Big Gas 4 Stroke Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Gas 4 Stroke Sound?

Does anyone know WHY the Kolm 200 sounds as good as it does?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2R84SsZiC7c#!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnJkBl0Ql8

I'd thought the Mokis sounded good, but the Kolm even puts those a distant second. I'm dreaming of a big warbird (inline or otherwise) with Galloping Ghost type sound, but I'm wondering if it will ever be really affordable to the average GS modeler.

I had some (fleeting) hopes of DA actually making a US based (and therefore maybe cheaper?) 4S with this news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgxWeo8mb1M

But with that size and supercharger I think they must have been going for a UAV and/or elite market.

Now I see the newest big German offering is in a similar market category.

Is it the Power? Is it the timing/arrangement of the cylinders? Exhaust system? It seems only a multi cylinder tends to give that rumbling/thumping Harley Davidson effect I crave. It seems these days the sound of a model is becoming more and more important to to me as I make my way around the various hobby disciplines, including gliders, EDFs and GS topics. I used to not mind a screaming Jett 40 if it gave me the performance I wanted, but now I really seek out subjects based on their sound quality first.

I know multi cylinder 4 stroke motors are necessarily complex, but do the tolerances and manufacturing complexities really automatically price them into the stratosphere?

Even if a motor was an anchor with marginal power, if it sounded great, and was reliable and affordable, I'd find a way to make it fly on a good warbird. I'd think there would be a big market for such an animal.

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Big Gas 4 Stroke Sound?

I'm quite sure that there are lots of persons that share a similar dream and have very similar thoughts too.

Karol
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think on the GG it is a combo of # of cylinders, exhaust and prop. Also they dont seem to scared to rev it. The 4 cylinder in the Spit did not sound as good. Their engines are probably a side job. I doubt they make enough to justify the $500K+ CNC machine they got.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi windy yes you do share what a lot of other people think after they hear the 3 cylinder 200,fourstroke triples usually have that distinctive exhaust note i like and have lost count of how many times i've watched that vid and the other ones kolm have put up.If i take the big leap it will likely be later next year and then it will be the 270 degreecrank longnose IL135twin.A compromise for sure but it too has a nice growl tho nothing matches the 200 for me.