muffler keeps coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: muffler keeps coming loose

ORIGINAL: djstar39

The Troybuilt link above says All Pitts mufflers (except Jtec)... I have a Jtec Pitts muffler for my DLE-20 that I'm getting ready to install. Do I need to strap it?

Dave
Good Question, I have a TF Giant P-40/DLE55 and Jtec Wrap Around Pitts and I'm still in the middle of deciding to 'Support Strap' or 'Not Support Strap'; I also found it interesting that Troybuilt says a Support Strap is needed on all Pitts Style Mufflers, except JTec; why does Troybuilt exempt Jtec Mufflers?

On the TF Giant P-40 Build Thread, most are using the same Engine and Jtec Wrap Around Muffler, and I only know of one person who had a problem with his Jtec Pitts Muffler falling apart from cracks; so here lies the delema, 'do I" or 'do I not' bother with a Support Strap; my thought is better safe than sorry, put the Support strap on now before I put the Cowl back on and after I ran the engine and tightened the bolts up while they were still warm.

That one guy that had a problem, had said that he tried to correct the loose muffler problem several different ways, and it's highly possible the Cracking only occurred after the muffler got loose on the several occasions it had got loose. I have talked to Jtec, who do not recommend a support Strap and they are confident that if you read the mounting instructions provided with their mufflers that you shouldn't expect any problems.

So again, my thought is if you put on a support Strap and put it on properely, what's it going to hurt other than void your warranty with Jtec.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:52 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: kmeyers

I use High temp RTV as a threadlocker on my muffler bolts.

Is there a strap on the far backside of the muffler that supports to one of the engine mount lugs and prevents vibration?

If not, you need to fabricate one and that will stop your problem.
The best mounting straps mount to the engine or the engine mounting lugs.
anything is better than nothing though.

I suspect the OP nice little angle piece will serve him very well.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 AM
graygoose

longer bolts and a washers that are larger than the bolt holes will alow you to drill the heads and safety wire on the muffler with the bolts recessed in , i use high temp coper rtv with no gasket cause over time the gasket gets crushed and then theres play- vibriation, works for me
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Here is my Support Strap that I welded on the End Plate of the Muffler and is then Bolted Between the Engine Mounting Bolt and Lug.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27525.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1844289  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:22 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice work!! Glad you got it done before we run out of helium :-)

david