Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE-85 85cc Gas Engine at troybuiltmodels.com

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE-85 85cc Gas Engine at troybuiltmodels.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:36 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm considering this engine and the ZDZ 90 so I've been following this thread for a while. My target prop is actually the Biela 22 or 24. Interesting it was a dud and glad you posted. So you think the 24 would be better?

Originally Posted by TonyBuilder
Ok so here is my take on this engine. I'm no engine guru, but I feel this is a good engine, and it has settled down. Starts now are much easier, similar to my EME and other DLE's. Vibration is manageable. I have a good 30+ flights on this engine and the ISO mount is only showing very light wear. I can see changing the bushings once a season depending on how much you fly. Power is strong for a single cylinder engine, almost as good as my EME120. It is a noisy beast though. Fuel consumption in light 3d is 14-16oz on a 8-10 min flight and aggressive flight is 16-18oz, I'm always left with a good half tank on a 32oz tank.

Prop is a 26x10 Xoar, 40lb thrust at 6400rpm.

I tried the recommended 4 blade bela prop 22x10x4 and it was a dud, very poor performance and I think the sizing is off, maybe a 24x10x4 would do better but not even close to the 2 blade.

TB
Old 06-08-2014, 01:03 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, honestly the Biela props in general are very pore performer. I think the 24x10x 4 might work but will never have the thrust 2 blade has. It is a pain to spend $ on a dud and then go spend another $ on another dud. If I were to do it again or actually try to use a 4 blade it would be a Solar paddle blade prop, cost $400 but it works. I wish TBM actually tested these props. If I knew a 24x10x4 really did work I would get one but not going to throw away another $120 just to see, that's there job! Good luck and if your brave try the 24x10x4 and let us know, I did on the 22x10x4!

TB

Last edited by TonyBuilder; 06-08-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:44 PM
pirofreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone noticed that this engine's needle setting is quite different when it is right side up vs inverted. On maiden flight on my EF 91inch Extra, it was running great right side up, but as soon as I inverted the plane it would flame out. Had to open up the idle needle quite a bit to prevent it from flaming out, but now right side up flight is too rich. Is there something wrong with my carb or other people noticing this too?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:54 AM
sulaiman

Originally Posted by pirofreak
Has anyone noticed that this engine's needle setting is quite different when it is right side up vs inverted. On maiden flight on my EF 91inch Extra, it was running great right side up, but as soon as I inverted the plane it would flame out. Had to open up the idle needle quite a bit to prevent it from flaming out, but now right side up flight is too rich. Is there something wrong with my carb or other people noticing this too?
c'mon guys we need a verdict on this.......similar has happened to me as well
Old 12-13-2014, 06:31 PM
HiFlyinHawaiian

Hi Guys. New to this forum but have been following it for a while. I'm having the same flooding issues with my new DLE85. Got it in a Aeroworks 75cc Extra 260. See where TonyBuilder replaced his carb with a stock DLE carb and it solved the problem. If I do that do you think it will work? Don't mind buying a new carb (even though the engine is brand new) if it will work. Just don't want to end up having the same problem with a new replacement carb. Thanks for any helpful info. Hoping to fly this plane before the year ends!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:07 PM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by HiFlyinHawaiian
Hi Guys. New to this forum but have been following it for a while. I'm having the same flooding issues with my new DLE85. Got it in a Aeroworks 75cc Extra 260. See where TonyBuilder replaced his carb with a stock DLE carb and it solved the problem. If I do that do you think it will work? Don't mind buying a new carb (even though the engine is brand new) if it will work. Just don't want to end up having the same problem with a new replacement carb. Thanks for any helpful info. Hoping to fly this plane before the year ends!
TBM sent me a new carb at no cost to me, I also had to replace the pickup but that could have been from the crash, runs great now.

TB
Old 12-13-2014, 08:13 PM
HiFlyinHawaiian

I got my motor from Tower Hobbies. I just got done pulling out the motor and removing the carb. Took apart the carb and flushed it out with clean fuel. Put it all back together. Since it's dark now can't try it again. Will try tomorrow if I can. If it still is a problem I'll just get a replacement carb and hope it works. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2014, 04:18 PM
HiFlyinHawaiian

The carb cleanout didn't work. It would still flood. Got my new carb in the mail today and threw it on. A few cranks to prime it and a couple with the choke on. Choke off and 6 more flips and it started up. Just ran it for a little bit. Why is it that the carb that comes with the motor gives so much problems and the replacement carb (even though it's a stock one) works? May contact Hobby Services an give them grief. Here's the link to the startup video. http://youtu.be/-fdNWccaJFE
Old 01-01-2015, 11:36 AM
TonyBuilder

I am getting ready to mount my DLE85 to a new TFGS P-47 RTC I ordered a wrap around Pitts style muffler for this plane and will put it on a bench next week to finish the break in of the new Bowman ring. The engine has about 5 gal threw it but needs 2 hr for the new ring.

Then it goes on the P-47.

TB
Old 07-21-2016, 06:42 PM
biffster55

This is my first DLE85cc. I noticed two fuel inlets on the carb. Is that either or? I;ve never seen two inlets on a carb before.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2016, 08:00 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

They are not both fuel inlets. The nipple that goes into the main body on the carb is the fuel inlet. The nipple on the regulator side cover plate is for a vent line so you can run a line back into the fuselage and out of potential changing pressures in the cowl area. You can either connect this nipple to nothing or optionally, connect it to the remote line if you experience pressure issues causing changing mixtures in different flight attitudes.