Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saito FG30B questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:06 AM
warbirdfan2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito FG30B questions

I have come to the point where I would like to try a gasser. To this point I have only flown electrics. I am building a ESM 71" P51. Sound is very important !!! I cannot stand the sound of a chainsaw buzzing around in the air. For my budget and tastes, the saito fg30b seems to fit the bill, but I read all these horror stories of bad ignition and carbs on the forums. Can anyone post there thoughts on this engine ? Thanks...Jeff

Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito FG30B questions

buy
ORIGINAL: warbirdfan2

I have come to the point where I would like to try a gasser. To this point I have only flown electrics. I am building a ESM 71'' P51. Sound is very important !!! I cannot stand the sound of a chainsaw buzzing around in the air. For my budget and tastes, the saito fg30b seems to fit the bill, but I read all these horror stories of bad ignition and carbs on the forums. Can anyone post there thoughts on this engine ? Thanks...Jeff

Buy a standard Saito FA180 glow engine & do the C&H CDI conversion. You will most likely have to trash the Saito FG30 ignition & carb anyway. Just convert the glow engine & save money.

The FA180 & + the $155 C&H conversion will only cost a few $$$$ more than the FG30 & it will run much better.

No sense spending the extra $$$ for the FG30 & then another $155 to make it right.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM
warbirdfan2

Thanks for the reply..... I hate to sound stupid, but what is the ch cdi coversion ? This will be my first venture into gas. I understand the ch ingition, but what is the cdi part of it? Do you still use glow fuel when this is done, or convert to gas? Can you direct me to info that I can study up on this? Thanks again!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: warbirdfan2

Thanks for the reply..... I hate to sound stupid, but what is the ch cdi coversion ? This will be my first venture into gas. I understand the ch ingition, but what is the cdi part of it? Do you still use glow fuel when this is done, or convert to gas? Can you direct me to info that I can study up on this? Thanks again!!!
Capacitive Discharge Ignition.

Here's the [link=http://ch-ignitions.com/index.php?id_product=74&controller=product#/conversions-saito_gasoline_cdi_conversion]GAS CDI CONVERSION.[/link].

Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
warbirdfan2

I just got back from the ch website, and got your reply. Thank you again for your input!!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:40 PM
corvettez06
My Feedback: (8)

You would be fine with the fg-30b. It has an updated ignition over the old fg-30. I have a couple of older and newer version Saito gassers. No problems with any of them.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: corvettez06

You would be fine with the fg-30b. It has an updated ignition over the old fg-30. I have a couple of older and newer version Saito gassers. No problems with any of them.

I would still prefer the C&H converted FA180 over then Saito FG30. Not much difference in price.

The C&H CDI is a much better design from the user freindlyness standpoint. It is also repairable & uses non-proprietary components. Repalcement parts for te Saito system are rediculously expensive. $160 for a carburetor, $90 for an ignition system. In the long run, the C&H conversion will be cheaper.

Too bad Saito has blown it as far as the decisions they made when going gas.