DLE 55 VS DLE 60 twin

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 55 VS DLE 60 twin

Hello gang,
got a question for you gas motor buffs..

I have an airframe that is just screaming for a twin, cant say what frame. Some of my club members read here and I want this thing to be top secret...lol

Any way, is the 60 twin as good of a motor as the 55 is? I have the 55 in a 50cc pitts and love it, very nice combo.. I see that the 60 is a bitheavier then the 55, do you think that the 60 will have around the same performance as the 55, or close to it? I could put a 55 in the plane, but the twin will fit much better and the cool factor will be awesome with the two heads just sticking out the cowl cheeks... What's your thoughts on the two motors?

Thanks for any numbers you might have.

Jimbo
Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 AM
ktmfrank

Default RE: DLE 55 VS DLE 60 twin

i've been looking a t the new dle 60 for a while and i think that the main advantage of this engine vs the 55 is low vibe cause the power output is near the same.
If weight is not a concern in your model i'd go with the twin!
Both engines are a very good.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 AM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ktmfrank

i've been looking a t the new dle 60 for a while and i think that the main advantage of this engine vs the 55 is low vibe cause the power output is near the same.
If weight is not a concern in your model i'd go with the twin!
Both engines are a very good.

The weight is pretty much a non issue, I know guys flying the same plane with a 30cc so the 60 should move it lights out.. I'm thinking the 55 would move it a bit fasterbecause of the weight, but fast is fast and the 60 will look much better...
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Typically the single cylinder engine tends to develop more power than the twin cylinder engine does. Mainly it is the internal friction from the extra moving parts and the fact that one cannot get both cylinders to run exactly the same, there is always an imbalance of the air fuel mixture going between  the two cylinders.  Motorcycles kept the multi-cylinders separate from each other with their own separate carb for each cylinder and also the cylinders were inline and not laid out in a boxer configuration, thus they didn't have the issues per se.

But the boxer twin cylinder setup does not vibrate much in comparison to a single cylinder engine. So that reduced vibration can result in a lot less strain and wear and tear on the airplane and reduce noise from the airframe vibrating too.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:08 AM
ktmfrank

And sounds a whole lot better too! is there any reviews of that engine available that you know of ?
basically its a twin dle 30! so it should be good!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:31 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of more or less educated guessing here. No real life reports?