Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Your best guess please, on a 26cc engine ?

Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Your best guess please, on a 26cc engine ?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Ed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your best guess please, on a 26cc engine ?

How long do you think a 26cc size gasser will run at full throttle, on a 14 oz tank ? You best guess please, thank you.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Your best guess please, on a 26cc engine ?

Somewhere around  20 min i would think. I have a 26cc engine in a 1/5 scale buggy that i get around 50min, but it's a 24oz tank and not at full throttle the whole time.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

It will vary a bit with the prop used and the airframe it's  pulling around but you should get  15 minutes.
I ran a G23 on a 120 Ultrastick and had plenty of fuel left after a 12 minute flight using a 16 ounce tank. Now I;m running a 40cc on the same plane full throttle and have a bit of fuel left after 12 minutes.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Ed

Good guesstimates guys, please keep them coming. They are very helpful.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ed

How long do you think a 26cc size gasser will run at full throttle, on a 14 oz tank ? You best guess please, thank you.
That! is very much engine dependant. The original MVVS26 with high specific power harnessed using a very small 7mm carb would run on that tank until your eyes started to water! That changed when they used 13mm carbs and tuned pipes.
General rule is the number of cc's engine displacement per minute as fuel consumption at WOT. MVVS uses about 80% of that. Worse engines use more, but the rule of thumb is sound. Guessing? Not my kind of play.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It varies a lot. Some 26cc engines develop more power than others. More power means more fuel consumption too. How much one flies at full throttle versus partial throttle comes into play too. So one person might get 10-12 minutes and another person might get 20 minutes or more.

I would suggest setting a timer to keep track of the time elapsed. Then fly your plane and keep going until the engine quits, then land the plane deadstick. Now you know how long it will fly before it quits.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I suggsest you give engine type, induction tyoe, muffler tyoe and prop size for the best guess.

You are unlikely to find pilots that fly wot for a whole flight on there 26cc engines for comparison.

I did know a guy that flew his DR1 at full power his whole flight.

It was a big Balsa USA powered by a G23. Very underpowed and we all stopped and watched (mainly out of fear for our lives).

I cann't say I ever timed him nor did I know what tank size he used.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: john josey

Somewhere around 20 min i would think. I have a 26cc engine in a 1/5 scale buggy that i get around 50min, but it's a 24oz tank and not at full throttle the whole time.
ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

It will vary a bit with the prop used and the airframe it's pulling around but you should get 15 minutes.
I ran a G23 on a 120 Ultrastick and had plenty of fuel left after a 12 minute flight using a 16 ounce tank. Now I;m running a 40cc on the same plane full throttle and have a bit of fuel left after 12 minutes.

Wow that surprises me. I was lead to believe that gassers were far better on fuel.

My CDI converted Saito FA150 does damned near as good on 15% nitro.

It ran @ WOT for 11 minutes W 12oz of fuel.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Somewhere around 20 min i would think. I have a 26cc engine in a 1/5 scale buggy that i get around 50min, but it's a 24oz tank and not at full throttle the whole time.

It will vary a bit with the prop used and the airframe it's pulling around but you should get 15 minutes.

Wow that surprises me. I was lead to believe that gassers were far better on fuel.

Don't be too surprised. He asked for guesses and except for Pe, that's what he is getting. Maybe some entertainment value, but not very useful.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

If its for your sv26, 8oz is plenty. I had mine in an ultimate bipe and a hangar 9 Taylorcraft. Easy 12 minute flights with reserve.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: RCVFR

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Don't be too surprised. He asked for guesses and except for Pe, that's what he is getting. Maybe some entertainment value, but not very useful. [img][/img]

Oh yeah I know they are guesses, but I was always lead to believe that gas got about 3X the fuel economy over methanol. Seems the 90% savings for gas are significantly exagerated.

Grated I'm running CDI, so that makes a substansial difference, about 25% better fuel economy than glow ignition w/a bit more power.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a H-9 Taylorcraft that was originally equipped with a DLE 30 and a 12 ounce tank. Great flier and I had to land it dead-stick so many times that I switched to a 16 ounce tank. Now I land with power on. And I am talking LONG flights. Based on that, I would say 14 to 16 ounce tanks should do really well for you, if your airframe has the necessary space.

Best regards.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

[/quote]
Oh yeah I know they are guesses, but I was always lead to believe that gas got about 3X the fuel economy over methanol. Seems the 90% savings for gas are significantly exagerated.

Grated I'm running CDI, so that makes a substansial difference, about 25% better fuel economy than glow ignition w/a bit more power.
[/quote]

You will find a substantial difference in fuel consunption comparing 2 stroke engines. 4 stroke engines are more efficient. The fuel economy issue is the cost of running. Glow produces more power, uses more fuel and costs more. It's a trade off.

Probably why some folks run gas and some run glow and some, like me, run both.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ed

Another question:

How many pounds of thrust are you looking for and for how long?
Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Ed

You good guys have assured me that the 14 oz. tank that I plan to to use is going to be adequate, and I thank you tremendously for that.
You have done me a great service.

Moderator ............... You can shut it down now.

Thanks again guys.

Ed
Old 01-31-2013, 12:17 PM
apalsson

That! is very much engine dependant.
Agreed!
Another thing that nobody seems to have mentioned is that it's also very tuning dependent.
A poorly tuned engine (tuned overly rich) can easily use up a lot of fuel on a short period of time.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM
freeonthree

My throttle's ez connector came off the servo arm a while back, and the on board camera counted 31 minutes before it ran out of fuel. That was a 16oz tank, but it wasn't quite full, maybe 12 to 14 oz's remaining. That was my 1/4 scale EAA Bipe with an XYZ 26 and a WT220 carb, and it was stuck at about 3/4 throttle. Dennis
Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: RCVFR
You will find a substantial difference in fuel consunption comparing 2 stroke engines. 4 stroke engines are more efficient. The fuel economy issue is the cost of running. Glow produces more power, uses more fuel and costs more. It's a trade off.

Probably why some folks run gas and some run glow and some, like me, run both. [img][/img]

I run CDI W/glow fuel. More power than either, the easy handling of a gas engine W/fuel economy that is less than gas but about 25% better than glow ignition.