Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE engines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 04:48 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DLE engines?

I was thinking of getting a DLE 20 or maybe a 30. Are these engines reliable and how about customer service. I like the prices,,,,,but the old saying,,,,you get what you pay for,,,,keeps coming to mind,,thought Id like to get a little input from others,,just doing some research is all.

TAZZZZ
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: DLE engines?

They are supported by Hobby Services who takes care of OS and Futaba for Great Planes.

The motors are very good, I have several.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:45 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're serious about research and haven't read through this, you should. First post has a lot of very good info. The 6500 posts after that cover about everything under the sun that could possibly be related to it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9863953/tm.htm

If you're just looking for a recommendation, sure, I'd recommend it!
Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Checklst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own the 30 from Tower and a 55 DLE from Valley View have not needed service, have had great service from tower for 34 years and Valley View came highly recommended from users of this site............I'm sure their are others Chief aircraft ect ect.........

MY advice is purchase from a dealer close to home.....home as in your home country...LOL don't expect to much for an unknown dealer a half a world away is what I'm trying to say.

Not to say DLE is perfect.....my 30 had the trimming set at 35 BTDC and it was hard to start and the needle capture/tuning never felt right, and she quit running several times on her ground check, but after 28 degrees BTDC was set(advice I got hear) she has run like a Swiss watch.....the 55 was 28 BTDC out of the box, so starting and tuning was vary easy.

Good luck
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys youve soothed my mind,,,Im going for it!

TAZZZZ

Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM
repinfl
My Feedback: (40)

You will NOT be sorry! I have five of them and only had a problem with a carp on a DLE20 and Tower sent me a new carb, reeds and all free!
Did not ask for the old carb back!!!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
cubarican323

I have the Dle 20,30 and 55 and these motors are very reliable easy to tune and I never had a problem with them they are excellent motors
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a DLE 30 and several DLE 20s. They are powerful, easy to start and tune. I had two DLE 20s come apart. The crank broke on one and the other I didn't even look. Tower replaced both with no hassel.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished putting a DLE-20 into a Great Planes Revolver 70. It came out of a Aeroworks Extra 300 QB that crashed on its very first take off, due to a factory horizontal and vertical stabilizer structural failure, but that is another story.

From my experience and from others will tell you, I am sure that you will find the DLE line of engines to be very reliable. As a matter of fact, I even have another Rev 70 in the box and I have considered putting a DLE-20 into that one also. BUT ! I have also been eyeing the " OS GT 22 ", which appears to be a very nice engine with a good name behind it. The only thing is, I can not find any information on the engine. It seems that nobody is running them and I can only assume it is because of the price tag of $409.00. [] As with the DLE, you can purchase same power engines for quite a bit less than $409.00 !

You might also want to look at the XYZ-20, as others seem to be raving about this engine also. I believe that it is being offered by Valley View Hobbies for $189.00.

But as many will state, you will not go wrong with a DLE.