Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 35RA ignition system question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM
BubbasanJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DLE 35RA ignition system question

Hey y'all. I got a DLE35RA from Troy Built. Been trying for weeks to get this engine started with no spark. Looking down the plug cap, I see nothing that is inside to make contact with the plug to get a spark. Would some one be kind enough to take a shot of what is inside your DLE plug cap to contact the spark plug?I know the plug shot is pretty bad butthere is nothing I can see inside that would be to transfer spark. I have other gas engines and they all have an "element that contacts the spark plug. Would be appreciated. Attching a pic of what I have in my plug cap and what is waiting to fly. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88383.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1850841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92585.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1850842  
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM
600Bob

Default RE: DLE 35RA ignition system question

That is the way every CDI I have looks.  Check the connector on the Hall sensor and make sure you haven't bent any pins when hooking it up.  Ask me how I know 
Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
BubbasanJohn

no no bent pins.  that photo is seriously misleading.  Gonna try again.  Got 6V to the unit and an electrican friend has a tester that can see current coming down the cable to the plug cap but nothing is getting to the plug
Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 PM
600Bob

Are you using the DLE spark plug?  They have a bad reputation, mine worked but many throw them away first thing.  Do you have the plug full seated in the cap?  It is a bugger to get it in until it locks on and harder to get it out when it's not in the engine.  Do you have anothe ignition to test the plug in?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:11 PM
BubbasanJohn

Plug is the upgraded cm6. Plug cap is fully seated. ATM I do not have another ignition to test the engine.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

Bubba

I have a DLE35RA but haven't installed it in a plane yet.

I looked inside the plug boot and can see what looks like one or two wires going across the tiny hole at the top of the boot cap. The top of your spark plug should make contact with the wire.

I have done a replacement of the boot cap on a DLE20. If it utilizes the same method as the DLE35 you will have a resistor that will stick into the core of the ignition cable on one side and the other side ( that your spark plug will touch) will be a wire that touches a tiny spring in the top of the cap.

I don't see a tiny spring in mine but I do see a wire that the spark plug would touch.

Mike
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a look at the sticky there is a test you can do on dle/rcexel ignitions
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htm look at post 24
Old 02-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

I just looked again. I can see the tiny wire spring that the resistor wire would touch. Not east to see but it is there. It could be possible that when your ignition module was made they omitted the resistor. You might need to shine a flashlight into the cap to see what I'm trying to describe.

Mike
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You may want toget a plug cap kit and just replace it. Sucks on a new engine, but the plug does need to contact the resistor.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM
BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: Indiomike

Bubba

I have a DLE35RA but haven't installed it in a plane yet.

I looked inside the plug boot and can see what looks like one or two wires going across the tiny hole at the top of the boot cap. The top of your spark plug should make contact with the wire.

I have done a replacement of the boot cap on a DLE20. If it utilizes the same method as the DLE35 you will have a resistor that will stick into the core of the ignition cable on one side and the other side ( that your spark plug will touch) will be a wire that touches a tiny spring in the top of the cap.

I don't see a tiny spring in mine but I do see a wire that the spark plug would touch.

Mike
Yeah no spring in mine or wire. Must be defective.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 PM
BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: 3136

Have a look at the sticky there is a test you can do on dle/rcexel ignitions
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8673009/tm.htmlook at post 24
Ok Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 PM
BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

You may want toget a plug cap kit and just replace it. Sucks on a new engine, but the plug does need to contact the resistor.
Thanks for the confirmation Vertical. This does suck. Missed 2 great weekends with just PERFECT weather.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Looking at the photo and looking into the cap, light appears to be reflecting from the spring in the top of the cap. Perhaps the cap isn't assembled correctly or maybe there is another problem ..... but that sure looks like the spring to me. Some of my spring contacts are very hard to see.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buubba,

One thing nobody mentioned is removal of the spring clip on the base of plug cap. It takes one heck of a lot of force to seat the cap with the clip still on and very difficult to remove the cap when clip is seated. The first thing I do with all spark plug caps is replace the clip with a silicone rubber ring. Holds securely enough but is easy to install and remove.

I saw that you mentioned that the plug cap is seated but try removing the clip and reinstall. Just a thought. The idea is to eliminate all obvious things first before going into more complex investigation
Old 02-11-2013, 07:50 PM
johnny bubba
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MTK

Buubba,

One thing nobody mentioned is removal of the spring clip on the base of plug cap. It takes one heck of a lot of force to seat the cap with the clip still on and very difficult to remove the cap when clip is seated. The first thing I do with all spark plug caps is replace the clip with a silicone rubber ring. Holds securely enough but is easy to install and remove.

I saw that you mentioned that the plug cap is seated but try removing the clip and reinstall. Just a thought. The idea is to eliminate all obvious things first before going into more complex investigation

Great idea
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buubba,

Hi Matt, you are clearly one of the more knowledgeable people on here, however I fail to see how if he is useing the stock plug cap pushed passed the hex head, how will that not be makeing a ground?
The plug cap, as far as I know, is meant to be an electrical connection between it and the spark plug hex, as long as there is a solid connection there (with the backup of the spring) I don't see how this could cause a problem.
Granted your alternative may be more user friendly.
Matt, I'm not trying to aggrevate you, just don't understand the logic of how your alternative could fix this.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 3136

Buubba,

Hi Matt, you are clearly one of the more knowledgeable people on here, however I fail to see how if he is useing the stock plug cap pushed passed the hex head, how will that not be makeing a ground?
The plug cap, as far as I know, is meant to be an electrical connection between it and the spark plug hex, as long as there is a solid connection there (with the backup of the spring) I don't see how this could cause a problem.
Granted your alternative may be more user friendly.
Matt, I'm not trying to aggrevate you, just don't understand the logic of how your alternative could fix this.
I am not offended. Perhaps a bit more explanation is in order. My point isn't so much the alternate solution I offered for securing the cap to the plug, eventhough it works better than anything else I've seen or heard about. It deals with the false impression one can get regarding whether the cap is fully seated, with the circular spring clip in place

The circular spring clip surrounding the lip of the cap is very stiff. It takes quite a bit of force to seat the cap when the clip is in place. One canpush the capinto position over the plugand may think it is seated but in fact is not.If it's not seated it's not making proper contact

Removal of said clip reduces the amount of forcethe capneeds to seat. One only needs to do this acouple times to understand the real amount of force the caps need to seat either way, with clip and without clip.

And like I said, it's just a thought. If a properly seated cap is not the issue, then it's something else less obvious
Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Have you tried to put the plug in the cap and ground the end of the plug (plug out of engine) and see if there is a spark at the plug electrodes when
you turn over the engine?
You might want to do this in a place where the light is dim.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: WRK

Have you tried to put the plug in the cap and ground the end of the plug (plug out of engine) and see if there is a spark at the plug electrodes when
you turn over the engine?
You might want to do this in a place where the light is dim.
No need to ground the plug to the engine. The ground return completes the circuit through the plug lead shielding. If the spark is good you should be able to easily see it in any normal light as well as hear it.