Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Mintor Engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 PM
tes21966

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mintor Engines

I am getting ready to but a 50cc class engine. Looked at DA, DLE, and Mintor. I would love to here some comments from those who have actually tried one. Also, the plane I am working on (Peak Models YAK 54) began life with a DA50 and the cowl is cut for a DA50. How do the DLE and Mintor compare in configuration and size to the DA? Don't want to have to butcher the cowl.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 PM
SOLO_48
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Mintor Engines

DLE is copy of DA,will fit without making any cut
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 PM
tes21966

Thank you. I had also been told mintor was same pattern as well. The main reason I asked about mintor was because someone had offered me one in trade for an item I have and I know nothing about them nor do I know anyone personal that has tried one. No matter how good trade looks if these engines are poor quality I don't want it
Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 AM
skillet92

I can't speak for all mentors but a buddy at the field has a 60cc one in a sbach and loves it. It is not broke in yet so he has some burbling. Might want to look around though and ask some questions. He said something about pins breaking in the previous design and that supposibly the 60 fixed that issue. I don't remember what exactly because I am a dle fan myself. Pretty engine but we don't buy them for looks.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

do a search on the Mintor over on the FG site.they had a few problems early on but may have been taken care of by now.if your looking for a 50-55cc you should take a look at the EME 60,same price as a DLE55 but with more power and same size as the 55,it's a good engine.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I've seen a couple come and none of them are still around.

DLE is well known and well supported.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 PM
tes21966

Thanks for the advise guys. DLE it is.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Enrique-F3A

Hello,

Take care regarding Mintor Products. I own a Mintor 170 that never worked. The manufacturer (Mintor srl, Italy) is a total irresponsible company. I purchased the engine directly from them with two headers (different rise) and pipe, spent around $ 1200, including shipping and import taxes. I sent the engine back to them for repair. Accordingly to the Italian post service, they should have picked up the engine and pay some duties, they never did that and the engine was sent back to my country without repair, I had to pay all the shipping charges again. They had to discontinue the 170 model due to bad quality. These people (Mintor) are used to manufacture garbage products and give no support, no warranty no responsibility, no nothing. They are liars and cheaters because they deny everything that happened.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 AM
AlexL
My Feedback: (4)

Wow, that came as a surprise, I meant the lack of support to customers. What have you done to straighten up the matters so far. You just can't let the 170 disappeared and never to be heard again.

By the way, what was wrong wtih the 170. When they first came out there was such hype, it all seemed to die down since.

Alex
Old 09-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Enrique-F3A

Originally Posted by AlexL
Wow, that came as a surprise, I meant the lack of support to customers. What have you done to straighten up the matters so far. You just can't let the 170 disappeared and never to be heard again.

By the way, what was wrong wtih the 170. When they first came out there was such hype, it all seemed to die down since.

Alex
Alex, The Mintor 170 was a complete disaster design. Idle above 2300 rpm, very bad midrange and unstable high rpm. Very difficult to start and overheating !! Not only mine but many others I have heard !! In spite of that, Mintor engines continued to sell that garbage and cheating people !! They promoted the engine as the best two stroke engine in its class, that was an outright fraud !!
Old 09-30-2013, 04:17 AM
AlexL
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks, I feel for you.

I was actually thinking of getting one (not the same size) myself, and I guess I just svaed myself a big headaache. Not to mention the hard-earned hobby money.

You take good care of yourself, and keep us informed what eventually happens.

Alex
Old 09-30-2013, 01:07 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexL
Thanks, I feel for you.

I was actually thinking of getting one (not the same size) myself, and I guess I just svaed myself a big headaache. Not to mention the hard-earned hobby money.

You take good care of yourself, and keep us informed what eventually happens.

Alex
I still have a NIB M170. It's the second of two that I owned. The first worked fairly well once I figured it out. Took some tinkering but I got working well enough. But my Webras worked so well I simply stopped worrying about engines, until I decided to use gas engines 5 years ago.

I had a Mintor 38cc gas engine. It was an exceedingly well made and simple to use product. But it lacked the kind of power I wanted (for 2 meter Pattern Aerobatics) so I sold it to a sport flier. It has great sport power and outstanding field manners. I hear similar about their 33cc and 22 cc gas engines except these smaller mills apparently produce better power/weight ratio.

The biggest issue is whether the Mintor factory will be around to support their products longterm.

I've found that the OS GT33 has all the power and great field manners I want and is proving itself flight after flight with outstanding performance for what I'm looking for. My first engine has over 100 actual run hours on it over a 3 year span over 500 15 minute runs. Just commissioned the second 33 which now has 20 runs on it and is still breaking in. I've experimented with several 30-40cc engines and keep coming back to the OS33. To me, the best of the class
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Enrique-F3A

Anyone who has a NIB 170 Mintor engine for sale, certainly would not talk about how bad is that engine !!

"fairly well" , " well enough" ; has never been the proper performance for a costly Italian made engine !!

Last edited by Enrique-F3A; 09-30-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:16 PM
MTK

I find your post absurd!
Did you read my words to say the engine was for sale? It isn't....DUH!!! Just because you had all sorts of issues with yours doesn't mean everybody did

The 170 was about 100$ more expensive than my Webras. It was a "Pattern Engine" which automatically jacks up the price 100%. But on par with others 10 to 12 years ago. Hell the OS "fuel injected" cost more than twice that and people bought it only to find out a whole new set of issues with the injectors.

Contrast the Mintor 38cc which cost 375 US$. A sweet runner but not a Pattern Engine.

And if you are really into F3A, you have probably read some of my posts. I say it like it is...NO BS. The good, bad and ugly

Last edited by MTK; 09-30-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Enrique-F3A

It seems you have bad memory, you do not remember me. You offered to sell me your "NIB" 170 Mintor long ago. So, yes, your Mintor 170 has been for sale, so do not lie !

No, I do not read your posts ! I do not want you to intervene with my posts. Your post (#12) was a disguised provocation to me. Do not continue bothering me !!

My Mintor engine problems is not your business . Whatever you write, I will not answer. Moreover, I will not even read your response, I just unsubscribed this thread, so, do not waste your time in answering . You have taken this personal . I am not interested in sterile discussions. Stay away from me !!

Last edited by Enrique-F3A; 09-30-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:32 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by Enrique-F3A
It seems you have bad memory, you do not remember me. You offered to sell me your "NIB" 170 Mintor long ago. So, yes, your Mintor 170 has been for sale, so do not lie !

No, I do not read your posts ! I do not want you to intervene with my posts. Your post (#12) was a disguised provocation to me. Do not continue bothering me !!

My Mintor engine problems is not your business . Whatever you write, I will not answer. Moreover, I will not even read your response, I just unsubscribed this thread, so, do not waste your time in answering . You have taken this personal . I am not interested in sterile discussions. Stay away from me !!
Another South American with an axe to grind.....What is it with you latins anyway? I'm supposed to remember every PHOOL that has crossed me? I don't waste any time on such matters

Whatever!!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Captain John

I was wondering if anyone got their Mintor engine back from Italy for the new update. Thanks