Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Oil spatter

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil spatter

ORIGINAL: RiverLarry

Well I am out of Pop Corn !!!! Now What !!!!

dont know what to tell you Old Fart it is sunday still time for this to turn out in a + way
Hi river Larry...we are still in Florida and enjoying the warm temps with no snow!!!! It has been windy for flying. About 3 days ago my TX was stolen....no flying now unless I pick up a TX at the swap meet. Got to get ready for church. Take Care my Friend. Capt,n
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 AM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: RiverLarry

Well I am out of Pop Corn !!!! Now What !!!!

dont know what to tell you Old Fart it is sunday still time for this to turn out in a + way
Hi river Larry...we are still in Florida and enjoying the warm temps with no snow!!!! It has been windy for flying. About 3 days ago my TX was stolen....no flying now unless I pick up a TX at the swap meet. Got to get ready for church. Take Care my Friend. Capt,n
Yeh gotta watch those buggers at church they'll pinch anything . I should know I'm the pope !!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:14 PM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of dead horses here in Holland, now you go beat them. You may even get fined for doing that.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Rudolph Hart

I did'nt know you had a good sense of humour friend,bloody funny.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:01 PM
straitnickel

Hello all, I guess this is as good a place as any to start.
I'm gonna be short since I'm typing on my phone, small buttons bad eyes.
I have a dle 55, bought it new, ran great , 1gal.used, no spattering of oil , 30:1or40:1 I used both, then I sold it to a fellow at the field, after a year or so I bought it back, he told me it was flown one time. I used an IBE when I had the plane, the IBE was taken out and when put back in seems to not work anymore, the LED flickers and the engine quits. Removed it installed 4.8v battery. Now it runs ruff on the low end, quits on the low end, dripping black oil, any advice?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:27 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

Hello all, I guess this is as good a place as any to start.
I'm gonna be short since I'm typing on my phone, small buttons bad eyes.
I have a dle 55, bought it new, ran great , 1gal.used, no spattering of oil , 30:1or40:1 I used both, then I sold it to a fellow at the field, after a year or so I bought it back, he told me it was flown one time. I used an IBE when I had the plane, the IBE was taken out and when put back in seems to not work anymore, the LED flickers and the engine quits. Removed it installed 4.8v battery. Now it runs ruff on the low end, quits on the low end, dripping black oil, any advice?
It reads like you only have 1 gallon gas through it overall. The engine isn't broken in yet. Let me suggest that you verify yor needle settings. If you are using the break in prop (23x8) then a good place to start the needles at is 1 1/2 open on the LS and 1 3/4 on the high speed. You should run another 2-3 gallons before the engine is "broken in". What does that mean? It means the engine will hold normal lean settings without sagging....it means the engine has worn in it's internal contact surfaces to fully loose, smooth conditions.

Rough low end usually means rich low end. That could explain some of the oil.

IF the IBEC is working, it should activate the CDI fine. Whose IBEC? An ignition battery is also fine. The best IBEC is the Tech Aero....Good luck
Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
straitnickel

I will try to lean the low end tomorrow and report back.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:26 AM
pe reivers

Then give your engine some time to run in well. As soon as the expelled oil clears up, it is time to do your fine tuning, because the engine is then run in well enough.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM
straitnickel

As soon as I turned the low end about a 1/16 it quit. I ordered a new ignition module today. I doesn't hesitate when advancing the throttle it just runs real ruff till 1/2 throttle then runs like new. Remember I ran it's first gallon thru it with no spatter, then after one flight from the second owner it started this.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:11 AM
pe reivers

did the second owner use different fuel or oil? Prop setup, overheating? Lots of people won't tell you the story when disposing of an engine.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 AM
straitnickel

I didn't ask, with only one flight it wouldn't make hardly any difference.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 AM
pe reivers

I suppose something happened in the time between your handing it down, and you getting the engine back again.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 AM
straitnickel

Yes, right now I'm leaning toward the battery being hooked-up without the regulator. I'll know when I try the new ignition.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Scota4570

http://www.activepowersports.com/gre...otor-gpmg4800/

problem solved

Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Scota4570 wrote:

http://www.activepowersports.com/gre...otor-gpmg4800/

problem solved

Somehow I don't think that will provide enough lubricant to the engine he is running. I am ignoring the fact that he would have to do a total rebuild of the model...
Old 03-15-2013, 08:21 PM
straitnickel

Well I purchased an ignition I didn't need [:@]
I found the voltage regulator turned down all the way.
IBEC not working.
Muffler loose.
Dried oil in the carburetor.
Sprayed brakecleen into needle openings and the low end runs almost as good as the top end.
I'll let it sit some more in that fresh gas maybe it will clean it's self.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 PM
snuts

ORIGINAL: airtourer

Hi All,

Please see accompanying picture. I am curious what you think the cause is and how to remedy the excessive oil spatter.

The oil is mixed at 50:1 and is a fully synthetic type. The engine has about twelve hours total operation time.

The engine makes awesome power at top end, idles nice and transitions well in the air. It hesitates slightly on the takeoff roll but after that no further problems. The plugs show dark tan in color as if slightly rich.

Paul
If anyone is interested in the original post.

Paul, not much here to worry about. I too beleive what you are seeing is the amount of oil not burned, but lubricating your 150cc engine. Burning in excess of 24oz of mixed fuel per flight there will be approx 1/2 oz of oil exhausted, carrying the associated carbon (tunning) out your possibly short stacks.
Although a genuine question, I hope that you have become less concerned as the number of fights go up. A DA 150 is a fine engine, enjoy your flying season ahead.
-Snuts-
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM
straitnickel

Well I purchased an ignition I didn't need [:@]
I found the voltage regulator turned down all the way.
IBEC not working.
Muffler loose.
Dried oil in the carburetor.
Sprayed brakecleen into needle openings and the low end runs almost as good as the top end.
I'll let it sit some more in that fresh gas maybe it will clean it's self.
Up date for anyone interested, the carburetor was dirty or fouled and i put a rebuild kit into it.This can not be seen with the naked eye. Seems the needle controlling the incoming fuel was hanging up causing fuel regulation problems.
It's running good now, some finaal tuning at the field and should be good as new.
Kept the new ignition since the tach was no longer working on the original.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

These membrane carbs are REAL sensitive to fouling. But buying a new ignition is the last thing you should do.

Intermittent misfiring can be as simple as a fouled plug. These ignitions don't have a lot of spark energy, slight plug fouling can be enough to cause a misfire.
I almost went crazy tracking down such a problem: running in a new engine, letting it idle for 45 minutes at a time (oh, it idles very nice, doesn't it!), and then 1 hour later you can't get it started. Turned out to be a SLIGHTLY fouled plug. And slightly means, put it in a magneto fired engine, and it runs fine.

But those carbs should be clean. And with the gas quality nowadays, you are guaranteed to have problems sooner or later. It is crap, plain and simple. It will mess up the membranes first, and then the rest of the carb. And if your luck runs out there will be an oxide layer in a place you will never get it out again, and you're buying a new carb.
I have had to go as far as dumping carbs into diluted sulfuric acid to dissolve/remove oxides from inside those carbs...on some it did the trick, on some it didn't. That was my last resort after soaking them in a strong detergent solution in an ultasone cleaner for hours though (so don't try it unless all else fails).

That's why I switched to ASPEN (synthetic gas)...it costs 3 times as much, but it saves you 10 times the headaches.

My chainsaws and hedge trimmers get fired up at least once a month when running on regular pump fuel...let em sit for 6 months and you have trouble.
On aspen fuel, no such problems. Much nicer on membrane carbs, but harder to start in freezing temps because of the lower vapour presssure.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't ask, with only one flight it wouldn't make hardly any difference.
Many engines are ruined with just one flight.Esp the first flight.Sometimes fliers forget to put oil in there fuel .
BCCHI