Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

A little gasoline Info on those gas engines

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

A little gasoline Info on those gas engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 PM
fred985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A little gasoline Info on those gas engines

i forgot to mention that i remove the alky from my car gas with a e z trick. i put a gallon or two of water in a 5 gal jug. the 3 gal of gas and let it sit for a few days then carfully pour of the gas. the alchohol will be in the water and not in the gas. works great....remember to mix the oil in after you seperate it,,,,not before.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: fred985

i forgot to mention that i remove the alky from my car gas with a e z trick. i put a gallon or two of water in a 5 gal jug. the 3 gal of gas and let it sit for a few days then carfully pour of the gas. the alchohol will be in the water and not in the gas. works great....remember to mix the oil in after you seperate it,,,,not before.
You must have way too much free time on your hands ..... or you don't burn very much car gas?! Be careful YOU don't go up in flames one day.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Brandon15

110 definitely runs worse....but I had some on hand and wanted to see for myself. I won't do it again. It's a waste...

Old 02-19-2013, 07:15 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Really, I believe all the advantages you're finding with 100 LL is more due to the fact it has no alcohol, rather than the octane. As some small proof, some time ago I was out in TN working. The town I lived in had a farm co-op that sold non-ethanol gasoline at the pump. I had my motorcycle with me, air cooled, four stroke, fuel injected. I filled it up at that gas station, and noticed an almost immediate improvement in idling. Just, well, smoother. Gas mileage went up as well, not drastically, just three or four miles per gallon better.
And as another aside, I have experience with small, four stroke single cylinder engines that were being run on 100ll. Those engines were run under heavy load at relatively low rpm's, which contributed, but the simple fact was that we wound up removing the head and scraping lead deposits off the valves at very low operating hours. Spark plugs also wound up with deposits. Again, because those engines ran under heavy load and low rpm, that contributed to the buildups, but it was still dramatic compared to other small 4 stroke engines I've run on pump gas.
Not to mention, as has been mentioned before, lead is VERY toxic, especially when it's been heated and mixed with exhaust gas. My .02$ is to find somewhere you can get ethanol free gasoline and use that.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Alex Zagwyn

Hi All,

Has anyone tried using 4 gallons of av gas and mix a gallon of coleman fuel to get the octane down to where they require it and if so how where the results?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:09 PM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have asthma and contacted Desert Aircraft about using either Coleman Fuel or 100LL AvGas since neither have the smell that affects my asthma. Coleman Fuel is too low an octane for their engines and adding an octane booster has unknown results. Here is their answer:

Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 4:30 PM
Subject: RE: Coleman Fuel in Your Engines

Hi Mike
Adding an octane booster to the Coleman fuel is uncharted territory for us.
We find Avgas can leave lead deposits on the piston, but, in your situation, it might be the best option.
Run a Redline oil at 35 or 40 to 1. It’s the best lubricant and has a high flashpoint which means it will move through the engine (rather than sticking as carbon) and will help “flush” deposits from the combustion chamber.
The higher octane will not be a problem.
Thanks
Dave
Old 01-02-2017, 04:03 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For alcohol free gasoline in the higher octane grades, look up Pure Gasoline to see if it is available in your area. May most likely be had at marinas. Worth a short trip to buy it in 5 Gal. jug. Stays fresh along time also.
Good luck.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:29 PM
pilotpete2

I don't know if you can get ethanol free gas in CA.
We have a Valero station a half mile from our field that sells ethanol free 91 octane, and it runs great in my engines.
I did use 100LL from the local airport and didn't have any problem with deposits, but it was a pain dealing with the pump system at the airport, but 100LL Avgas sure smells better that typical pump gas
Pete
Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

You guys can't imagine how I envy you as the only gas available to us here in Jamaica is ethanol blended (10%) E87 and E90 octane pump gasoline. Thank goodness that so far I have experienced no carb or performance related issues with using the E90 in my engines.