Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Evolution 10GX - NGH GT9 - carb quality

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Evolution 10GX - NGH GT9 - carb quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Turk1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jerdavis, NGH9 engine itself is a great little engine which runs great if it can be feed properly with fuel. Did you play with ign. timing also to keep it better running?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM
pulse60

hi all i tried a evo carb on the nth engine the carb on the evo is a lot smaller than the ngh carb so ill have to turn down a spacer to make it fit my evo 10 has not missed a beet love that little engine ill use it of all my new 40 size planes hoping they release one with a hell head soon to put in a raptor
on that note thow i don't beleve the 15cc is worth it as it weighs more than the 20cc dle so for power to weight think i would just buy the 20cc dle

Last edited by pulse60; 02-16-2014 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:11 AM
jerdavis
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Turk1
Hi Jerdavis, NGH9 engine itself is a great little engine which runs great if it can be feed properly with fuel. Did you play with ign. timing also to keep it better running?
Hi Turk,
My NGH seem to lack the ability to draw fuel. It couldn't even run the pump. I think it had low primary compression even though the top end compression was excellent. I had to land every 2-3 minutes and readjust the needle valve richer. It could be the timing was off, it ran like the timing was late.Very poor acceleration with a lot of rich sputtering. Could late timing cause poor fuel draw?

Jerry
Old 02-16-2014, 11:16 AM
Turk1

Hi Jerry, I supposed your experiments you mentioned recently were without regulator/pump unit so was asking you -for example- only with muffler pressure test, can it be the faulty ign. timing reason of problem?
Maybe I was the first person discovering a NGH 9 engine cant run properly with regulator/pump unit and current glow style carb. because those Walbro type regulator/pumps works with suction/vacuum rates on proportionally.
But a glow carb. has max suction at idling and lowest suction at WOT. Just contrary signals to regulator for fuel feed.
I have made tests also here with NGH 9 CC, eliminating regulator section, only with pump and a return line at carb inlet with an adjustable restriction. It was successful but also I have found out the LSN profile was wrong.
So anybody in future trying to run a NGH 9 CC, has to solve the regulator problem -trying to work against faulty signals-. Or simply no pump/regulator only muffler pressure.
Also pls. note: Be sure the prop driver (with magnet) is properly positioned before prop mounting because it can be put 180 ° forward which make ign. timing 180° wrong.( Check is simple, be sure magnet passes from sensor against compression stroke).
Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 AM
jspauld2

Originally Posted by Basil Yousif
I just got my Evo 10cc engine in a World Models 46 size P-51. I hadn't run the engine but for only a minute on the stand. I adjusted the engine on the ground but when it got into the air the plane had very little power. It kept making a cutting out sound then it stopped after a few minutes of flying time and I did a dead stick landing. Should I run the engine on the ground for more time to break it in.
Basil,

I would tend to agree with Jerry on this. It is not typical of this engine to operate like you have described if it is properly setup. Your problem indeed sounds like an ignition issue and Jerry's suggestions are spot on. I would also suggest doing a thorough range check on the ground after reattaching the plug cap since a loose plug cap can cause interference with your radio. If a new battery and the plug cap do not solve the problem, also try running the engine on the ground without an ignition switch inline with the ignition battery.

Are you by chance running an ibec or similar?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 02-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Basil Yousif

I used a 12 x 6 APC sport prop on the engine and the engine runs great now. It ran for 10 minutes then it stopped and I did another dead stick landing but I was high up and expecting the engine could die so the landing was perfect. I couldn't use that 10 x6 they wanted me to use for break in the 12 x 6 works so nice I am just going to leave it. The plane flies good too now with pretty good power. Not super speedy but pretty good and it should go faster as it breaks in. Should it die in the air like that or is that just part of the break in.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 AM
Pete Bergstrom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basil,

No - quitting after ten minutes is not a normal part of the break-in procedure. There can be a number of issues that cause it to quit:

1. Did it quit after gradually slowing down? This would indicate that your needle setting was too lean and the engine got to hot.
2. Did it quit abruptly? This probably means that there is an ignition power issue some where. Something disconntected (power plug, ignition sensor plug, spark plug cap came loose from the spark plug, etc)
3. Did it burp a few times and then quit. I'd look into the fuel system. Air holes, fuel foaming (did you use the included clunk filter to make sure there are no air bubbles in the system from the tank?), clunk in the wrong place in the tank and it is not getting to the fuel.

These are just a few thoughts ...

Pete
Old 02-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Basil Yousif

It seemed to just quit abruptly but ran great just before it stopped. The 12 x 6 APC sport prop runs perfectly on this engine. I did run it on the ground afterwards for 15 minutes ran great and I had to kill the engine to stop it. There's no cowl on the Plane so it couldn't be a heat issue. I will try to richen it out next flight. Take into account this is only the third time this engine has been run.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Pete Bergstrom

I would be willing to bet it was an air bubble that went through the system. Please make sure you are using the in lured clunk or a Dubro sintered clunk and make sure there are no air leaks anywhere in the tank or fuel tubing.

Pete
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
Basil Yousif

The engine was set too lean. I richened it out to where it would have that cutting out sound and flew it. It was great didn't die and flew for a long time. As it breaks in I will lean it out from there. I am impressed with this engine now they actually got a smaller engine to run on gasoline pretty reliably. The only thing though is it doesn't have the power of a Evo 60NX Nitro engine, but I think I'll get more power after it breaks in.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM
dtytyukying
Banned

How good are the carbs on these engines?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Basil Yousif

It seems to me that they have got a good carb going on this engine. It really does make the gasoline power the engine like glow fuel. Consistent through the whole throttle transition and easy starts but with a starter only. This engine won't hand start unless you have to wait until it's broken in I - still have to get to that point. I have it on a .46 size model. I think it would be better on a .40 size model a little lighter if you want to match it up right. It does weigh a lot if you count the ignition and ignition battery that you have to use over the 60NX glow which is the same engine just nitro. But they have made it a good choice for modelers who don't want to pay $20 a gallon for Nitro fuel. I am sure that after it's broken in my engine will have more power it really wasn't too bad on the .46 size WM Mustang.

Last edited by Basil Yousif; 03-08-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:01 PM
JIMMYMUGUREL

Angry

Hello,

Yes Turk1, you have right, NHG9 I'ts a best engine but not with gasoline, with glow fuel 10% nitro and CDI. I replace original carburettor with ASP 52 carb and run very well.

Conclusion original carburettor I'ts a piece of junk.

Regards
Old 03-10-2014, 12:22 AM
Turk1

Hi Jimmy, I m glad you have enjoying your NGH 9 CC. I dont think NGH 9 org. carb is a junk. It only for glow type, pressurized tank type carb. Not suitable for pump and -especially- walbro type regulator. My opinion that carb has also a faulty profiled LSN ( for gasoline).
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 AM
JIMMYMUGUREL

Hello,

Yes Turk1, you have right again. I was modify both needles LOW and High to ASP 52 carb with low angles and the engine running better with gasoline and without aditional pressure.

Regards
Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 PM
dtyjkdutkying

How good are the carbs on these engines?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:37 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Evolution 10cc gas engine has a great carburetor on it. The NGH 9cc engine's carb is not good. If you are savvy, you may be able to get the NGH 9cc engine carb and pump/regulator to work acceptably though.