Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Carb. fuel inlet nipple

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 PM
RJConnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb. fuel inlet nipple

In the process of a very poor landing (well maybe it could be called a crash), the plastic fuel inlet nipple broke off. It appears to be a press fit into the carburetor body. Does anybody have any suggestions as to removal and replacement of this thing. I have tried gently twisting the thing but I,m afraid of breaking it off and making the situation worse. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, alsoI have no clue as to where I might find a new one............RJ []
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18896.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1860845  
Old 03-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Carb. fuel inlet nipple

You have several options to replace the fuel inlet. First, to remove the old one grasp it using some pliers at the base of the nipple. Twist and pull and it should come right out. If it should twist off, report back here and there are relatively simple means to remove the broken off stub.

You have several options for a replacement. If a straight fuel inlet will work, you can use a standard brass tubing size. Cut to length and insert with a tiny bit of red LocTite or JB Weld on the outside of the fitting. You only need enough to seal the tube. If you prefer a right angle fitting like the original, only all metal is available. Here are two examples of ones you can get at the hobby shop or online.

http://www.bennettbuilt.com/shop/Eng...cessories.html

Scroll down the page a bit until you find the Walbro metal carb inlet fitting.

""Sorry, second link did not work so was removed! Was Zenoah p/n 128-152 for same fitting that B&B offers.""

The first is from B&B Specialties and the second is from Horizon Hobbies and is a Zenoah part # and one can't complain about the cost. You can also go to any small engine shop and if they don't have the part in stock, they probably have one on an old engine in the back. These are fairly universal between all standard Walbro carbs.

Install just like you took the old one out with a slight twist while pushing it in. You can also tap on it if you feel it would be more secure. Like the tube, use a bit of LocTite or JB Weld as a sealer and to add a bit of security.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM
RJConnet

Thanks Truckracer, guess I just have to twist harder. Will give it a try............RJ
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do make a special tool for removing and installing plastic fuel inlet fittings. I have one that I bought for my Harley motorcycle to use.  It has a metal bracket that mounts to the carb and stands off a inch or two from the carb body. It has a  hole for a long screw in it. What you do is use a tap to thread the fitting, then screw in the long screw. Then using a allen wrench on the screw and a wrench on the nut, you turn the nut pulling the screw out and the fitting comes out. it works pretty slick actually. Then you reverse it and use a small metal cap and turn the screw holding the nut still and the new fitting is pressed in. Of course HD tended to use a brass base and a plastic top on the elbow fitting.

Another variation was to use a metal spacer and some washers to hold the long screw and nut on the remains of the fitting in the hole.

Other guys have had good luck getting a grip on ther remaining brass piece with a pair of vice grips and twisting it out too. You can heat up the carb some to help make it easier too. Heating up the carb some to install the new fitting works too.

Using a brass tube instead of a fitting works when you put in a new one. Tthe 5/32 inch brass tubing should work for this.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10383507

Posts number three and eight.

AV8TOR
Old 03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: earlwb

They do make a special tool for removing and installing plastic fuel inlet fittings. I have one that I bought for my Harley motorcycle to use. It has a metal bracket that mounts to the carb and stands off a inch or two from the carb body. It has a hole for a long screw in it. What you do is use a tap to thread the fitting, then screw in the long screw. Then using a allen wrench on the screw and a wrench on the nut, you turn the nut pulling the screw out and the fitting comes out. it works pretty slick actually. Then you reverse it and use a small metal cap and turn the screw holding the nut still and the new fitting is pressed in. Of course HD tended to use a brass base and a plastic top on the elbow fitting.

Another variation was to use a metal spacer and some washers to hold the long screw and nut on the remains of the fitting in the hole.

Other guys have had good luck getting a grip on ther remaining brass piece with a pair of vice grips and twisting it out too. You can heat up the carb some to help make it easier too. Heating up the carb some to install the new fitting works too.

Using a brass tube instead of a fitting works when you put in a new one. Tthe 5/32 inch brass tubing should work for this.

Seems like a lot of expense and work to replace a $3.00 fitting.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: RJConnet

Thanks Truckracer, guess I just have to twist harder. Will give it a try............RJ
I didn't mention in my post, the plastic fittings are also available if one desires to go that route. But why, when the all metal one is so cheap?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:45 PM
RJConnet

Thanks everbody, what I wound up doing after breaking off the plastic part of the fitting was to take a 4-40 tap and run it into the brass stub that was left. Then I cut a half inch piece of brass tubing that would fit over the stub. Then I took a 1 1/4" 4-40 screw, ran a nut all the way up with a couple of washers under it, screwed it into the brass stub through the brass tubing. tightening the nut then started pulling the stub out. Whoops, the 4-40 screw pulled in half. Looked at it closely and noticed it was a brass screw. Replaced with a steel screw and pulled that stub right out. Now I just need to order a new nipple and I'm ready to go.........RJ [8D]
Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Truckracer

Just running the tap into the broken off stub will back the stub out of the carb body.