Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Valley View RC Brand Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:53 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Kahu1958,

Thanks, that's some important info there. Since mine hasn't seen any real wear or action, I should check with them to see if they have some sort of recall or service notice on this. I know, I know; it's not a Chevy or a Subaru, but we can hope! They're in the next town over from me, so stopping by is no big deal, and from what I've heard from some of the other guys, they don't mind you stopping in if you call them first. I've never been inside, but I know where they are.

If there is anything that needs to be done, it would be easier to pull the engine off and bring it in now than after the plane (RC Guys Pitts Special) is all buttoned up with the full cowl and spinner and the works.

Wow; I just noticed you're in New Zealand, Kahu. Do you send it to a local service area there in New Zealand, or all the way here to the states? I know you're probably laughing at me for assuming that New Zealand is big enough to have such a thing, but hey, you never know about something unless you ask, right? By the way, New Zealand is one of the few places in the world I've ALWAYS wanted to visit. G'Day!

Jim
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PacificNWSkyPilot
I've been hoping to hear from more guys about their 40CC VV RC Twin's performance / longevity / etc. now that they've been out a while. This whole thread is 15 pages, which took maybe an hour to read through. I'm still finishing up my RC Guys Pitts, and though the engine is bolted on and running, I've yet to really see how it performs in flight. Until then, I hope to enjoy the twins vicariously through others!

I installed a pair of Frank Bowman aftermarket rings in mine, and it seemed tight, but it turned over and started okay, and wasn't too tight after that. It probably wouldn't have been tight had I run the engine any amount before going to the aftermarket rings.

Cool sounding engine!

Jim
Bowman rings should not make the engine tight.Did you check the ring end gap befor installing them.Frank runs a really close end gap but they have to have a little.Most of his are about 1-1/2 to two thous.Did get some rings from Frank once that the ends would not pass each other in the cyl.This was a little too tight.I fixed with a pair of fine files .Have bowman rings in about a dozen DLE engins they are great. The new DLE engines have much better rings then used to have.
BCCHI Tired old C&H guy.My twin brother turned 80 first of may.Still try to fly three days a week.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

BCCHI,

I took it back apart three times to check everything - and I know just what you mean about rings that can't "Slide by" each other at the ends. The third time, I put the original rings back in (I hadn't turned it to see how they felt before dis-assembly), and found that they were pretty close to the same. The engine just had good, close tolerances. I put a squirt of oil in the cylinder, sat down to watch Farscape, and just started turning it over while I watched the TV show. By the time the show was over, it was turning smoothly, but still firm. Firm is probably a better word for it. I took it apart, wiped everything down, and then reassembled it. So far, I'm pleased with the craftsmanship on the VV RC 40 Twin. Nothing looks shabby, from the mold-work to the machining. Even up-close, it's a pretty little thing.

I'd like to say that I'll have the RC Guys Pitts the VV Twin is in all completed and ready for the field shortly, but I'm about to be on crutches for twelve weeks after foot surgery next week, and I have a feeling that I won't be pulling the Pitts down off the ceiling while I'm in that condition. I'm having to pick and set up my projects so they're within reach of me. The two projects I've chosen are (I think) my big GP Super Stearman, and a General Hobby Skyline Raven (74"), which is supposed to be on its way to me. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room to have too many models down off the ceiling and shelves, and my ability to pull them out and put them away will be severely compromised, so I have to choose a couple and leave them within reach. I haven't made any flying friends yet, so I don't have any to ask! The Pitts is pretty close to being done, so much of what it needs would require it being assembled, which I won't be able to manage. When the Stearman gets to that point, I'll put it aside and start on the Raven.

I've given some thought to taking some of that time to changing my GP Giant Super Sportster over from gas to electric. The town of Lakewood (where I live here in Washington) just designated part of the park across the street from me as an RC airfield. But they'll only allow electric-powered aircraft.

Jim
Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by Kahu1958
The VVRC 40cc Twin I had certainly seemed to have lots of power. 7500 RPM on a 20X8 prop on the ground. Lots of power in the air. Great little engine performance wise.
As far as longevity goes though they seem to have a weakness in the crankshaft. Mine cracked the front crank web at the big end crank pin. It lasted about 6 months. I hear several others have had broken crankshafts as well. Not sure if it was just a bad batch or all engines.
I understand VVRC are trying to find another manufacturer to supply better crankshafts, hope they fix this problem.
I have sent mine back to VVRC but have not heard from them yet.
Hmmmm good to know about the crankshaft. I have one of these also but it's still NIB. Intended for one of my original Pattern type models and will run on tuned pipes. Also intend to run something around 21x12, 22x10 prop so it's important to me to know that the shaft may be weak. On pipes the engine should still turn 7K which is just right for the performance I want from my 1300 sq inch model.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:41 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Okay, I spoke with Tom at Valley View today, and he said that there was a batch with faulty cranks that they caught, and at this point they've accounted for all of them (he's pretty sure of this). The batch in question was sold in/around February of 2015. If you aren't sure about yours, you should probably call Tom with your Serial Number.

That's some good news for me. I bought mine in Spring or early summer of 2014, I think. I need to go through my posts to be sure exactly when, but it was quite a while before the batch in question.

I hope this is of some help.

Jim
Old 08-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Kahu1958

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I spoke with Tom at Valley View today, and he said that there was a batch with faulty cranks that they caught, and at this point they've accounted for all of them (he's pretty sure of this). The batch in question was sold in/around February of 2015. If you aren't sure about yours, you should probably call Tom with your Serial Number.

That's some good news for me. I bought mine in Spring or early summer of 2014, I think. I need to go through my posts to be sure exactly when, but it was quite a while before the batch in question.

I hope this is of some help.

Jim
Thanks for the reply . I purchased mine from VVRC online in January this year, on the early side of the time. I do not have the serial number as I have returned it. Hopefully it will arrive there soon.
I have emailed VVRC but have not had a reply. (the email address off their website)
I really miss having that engine and model (Edge 540). I do not want to have to fit a different engine and have to cut the cowl to fit it, the VVRC 40 fits so well..
I was planning on filling the current exhaust cutouts in the cowl and making a custom exhaust with outlet in the correct scale location.

Last edited by Kahu1958; 08-07-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:14 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

That was just a problem with the 40s and not the 20 21s right!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Kahu1958

Yes I believe it is only with the 40cc twin, and apparently only one batch of them.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:06 PM
hairy46

OK thank you, I have two of the 20s and one of the 21 but wanting to get a couple of the 40s glad it was just a bad batch!
Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

kahu,

I'd go to the Valley View RC site and find the contact info and call Tom. If yours is in for service, he can check your engine's S/N and perform any warranty work it might need prior to returning it to you. He was very helpful when I called.

Jim
Old 08-07-2015, 10:16 PM
hairy46

Don't see the 40 listed at Valley View, have I overlook it on the site, or are they out of stock?
Old 08-07-2015, 11:28 PM
pappyd6
My Feedback: (21)

Upon inquiry, I received an email from Valley View that they no longer carry the 40cc Twin and are looking for a manufacturer that will produce a quality engine. They stated that they will not sell engines that don't meet their quality standards.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:23 AM
hairy46

Ok, thank you!
Old 08-08-2015, 12:27 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

i got a new one in the box a year old. any offers ?
Old 08-08-2015, 12:46 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Hi #1 Saito Man, Tried to PM you - don't know if it took, but I'm interested in your engine. Does it have the small 1\4" plugs or the CM6 plugs and are they angled? Many Thanks for your time.

Mike Brennan
Club Saito #723
[email protected]
Old 08-08-2015, 12:50 PM
Truckracer

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pappyd6
Upon inquiry, I received an email from Valley View that they no longer carry the 40cc Twin and are looking for a manufacturer that will produce a quality engine. They stated that they will not sell engines that don't meet their quality standards.
On another forum, VV stated they have a different source for crankshafts now and will be working to resolve any past problems. Further, Tom seemed to indicate the engine would be available once again when problems are resolved.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:39 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Never mind. We'll see what happens together.

Jim

Last edited by PacificNWSkyPilot; 08-08-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:37 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Default My 40cc in my Beaver

I LOVE IT!!!... Runs perfect...and no problems what so ever... I love Tammy, Tom and the rest of the Family over there... Great service and great deals,,ALL my gassers come from VVRC.. Dle 111, 170, 222, and my 40 twin.. love em all....I run 100LL in all of them, with 32:1 Lucas racing oil, with an ounce of Marvel Mystery oil.. no problems, and they run great..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0747.JPG
Views:	1073
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	2113414   Click image for larger version

Name:	almanor 2015 086.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	392.2 KB
ID:	2113415   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3345.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	2113416  
Old 08-08-2015, 08:38 PM
cublover

Originally Posted by SigMan
i got a new one in the box a year old. any offers ?
Small angled plugs??
Old 08-11-2015, 12:30 PM
fromadvisor

Do you have more photos of ........
Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM
cublover

lots....lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0623.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	2113959   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	2113960   Click image for larger version

Name:	spacewalker45 003.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	2113961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0827.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2113962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	2113963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0811.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	2113964  
Old 08-11-2015, 11:39 PM
the pope

Thats one awesome plane congrats . Did you make the u.c. yourself . Anymore pics like with the wings on etc ? Cheers the pope
Old 08-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Kahu1958

kahu,

I'd go to the Valley View RC site and find the contact info and call Tom. If yours is in for service, he can check your engine's S/N and perform any warranty work it might need prior to returning it to you. He was very helpful when I called.

Jim
Hi Jim
I gave them a call yesterday, and as it happened they were in the process of packaging my engine to return it to me after being repaired. Repair and return shipping covered by warrantee. Excellent service, and nice people to deal with.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:22 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Yes, he seemed like a great guy to talk to when I called the other day. I'd buzz over to the next town and go in to visit them right now if I could walk, but as I recall some of the store is upstairs, and I'm driving a knee-scooter instead of a left lower leg and foot, so it'll be a while!

Great to hear that you got through and the news was good. I'd like to hear about how you found the engine to be, with all the pros and cons. What I'd REALLY like to do is go visit New Zealand and talk to you face to face! I've always wanted to do that!

Jim
Old 08-23-2015, 08:34 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
Also intend to run something around 21x12, 22x10 prop so it's important to me to know that the shaft may be weak. On pipes the engine should still turn 7K ...
That's a lot of prop for the VVRC 40. Most run the 20x8 or 20x9...I run Xoar 20x8 which works very well, FYI.

Last edited by marksp; 08-23-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.